2010 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show

Re: 2010 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show

Postby Danny on Mon 03 May 2010, 1:24 pm

The slow loop was very impressive, first time i've seen a Hawk climb that slowly before. :biggrin:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"
Danny

Postby Russ on Mon 03 May 2010, 1:27 pm

Another great show, well done to Neil, Colin and the rest of the team for putting on a fine show despite the DE debacle and the weather. Some great flying, particularly from the F-16, Hunter and Vampire. Lovely to see the VC10 and C-17 too.

Still amazed and delighted the show attracted the F-16 display. :clap: :win:

Roll on 2011!
Russ

Postby Kieran on Mon 03 May 2010, 1:52 pm

Only decided to go Abingdon at the last second and I'm glad I did go!! Best displays of the day go to the Dutch F-16 and his 20ft hover to start his display (even if he did pull out of the first loop a little low :wink:), the VC-10 second flypast- how I'm going to miss the ghostly howl of those RR Conways when the Vicky 10 is finally retired :sad:, the DC-3 display and the RAF Tucano display- who seemed to be doing F-22 style pull ups into the vertical at various times, probably because of the wind.

Shame the JP and BBMF cancelled, however quite lucky a full flying display was offered despite the weather being far less than ideal. Well done on getting the UH-60 there (might be the only event to see one in Britain this year, unless RIAT manage to book one.)

Organisers should be proud of still putting on a near full display in atrocious conditions, I could really see Abingdon is definitely beginning to become more than the 'Air and Country Show!' Like I said to one of the marshallers (who, by the way, were all very lively and friendly) when I was leaving, Abingdon organiers did the best they could and it pulled off! I'll be definitely back next year!!
Kieran

Postby Abingdonman on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:16 pm

How unlucky can a show be,to be knocked about by the DE days before,and it was in the only real band of bad weather in England for Sunday according to the weather maps I looked at!
At least the cloud base wasnt the worst around the airfield for the afternoon....
The commentator mentioned the non landing & take offs several times didnt he? ....he wont be getting a Christmas card from the DE ! :grin:
as for the Hawk,my honest opinion was it gave us a great arrival for its slot,and I thought its was a fair enough display all round,as they all were on the day...
Abingdonman

Postby Russ on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:28 pm

Anyone know how the Bronco was able to get in given DE's decision?
Russ

Postby Height is Good on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:30 pm

I am sure Neil will answer the question when he gets a free moment! :wink:
Height is Good

Postby Offbreed on Mon 03 May 2010, 5:16 pm

Big thanks to the all who made the show possible :clap: , it was amazing how the rain stopped just as the airshow started.
This was my first visit, and I was spoilt for choise in where to watch the airshow from, in the end I picked the carpark
as it had great views of the aircraft, and I could jump in the car out of the cold wind between displays.
Thanks again for a enjoyable day out :yahoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EviwwtRbFbw
Offbreed

Postby spitfire66 on Mon 03 May 2010, 8:35 pm

I see the Hawk is at Duxford on May 16th for the museums Spring show.

Tom - will you be operating from Duxford on the day? It will be nice to see the aircraft on the ground and say hello if you are there.

Thanks for putting on a good display yesterday. I hope to see it a few more times this year....fingers crossed for warmer weather.

Richard
spitfire66

Postby Tomahawk on Mon 03 May 2010, 8:35 pm

Russ wrote:Anyone know how the Bronco was able to get in given DE's decision?

In another thread Damien B suggested it was because the aircraft/pilot were guests of the resident VGS rather than an invited show static a/c.
Tomahawk

Postby patrouille2001 on Mon 03 May 2010, 8:54 pm

Tomahawk wrote:
Russ wrote:Anyone know how the Bronco was able to get in given DE's decision?

In another thread Damien B suggested it was because the aircraft/pilot were guests of the resident VGS rather than an invited show static a/c.

Good show, It is a pity, all the display aircraft could not have been guests of the resident VGS. :smile:

Paul
patrouille2001

Postby Oldtower on Tue 04 May 2010, 6:40 am

Thanks for all your comments - this year was to saythe least very turbulent leading up to the show, and alot of re-jigging which was unessecary. The weather didn't help either.

We have alot of support from high places for te DE debate - if anyone wishe to wirte to DE please send me a PM & i'll glady forward over direct email addresses for you. I know this debate will carry on for a while yet.

Yes we had 3 families cross the runway - ignoring the signs etc.. first time in years but if runway was live the security would have been spread to that side for the day.

We are not sure about 2011 as yet - we hope to do something but we didn't do as well as 2010, so its touch and go to be honest & of all the years we needed a good injection of cash this was the one - a shame as this year would have been the best if all had gone to plan and not the ludicrous DE intervention 36hrs from set up! It speaks volume if the F16 crew were happy to land / operate from us & know we are getting there support from higher authority.

Bronco did come in under VGS control, but to be fair i had to cancel / try and stop 78 aircraft from flying in , in a 24 hr period - i believe a number were turned away from Brize Zone so we expected the odd one or two to creep in.

Thank you for all your support.. and thanks to all the display crews suport also.

Neil :sad:
2018 Abingdon Airshow - Sunday 6th May, Abingdon Airfield.
http://www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk
Oldtower

Postby boff180 on Tue 04 May 2010, 7:53 am

Mate,

A wonderful job done in the circumstances, can you reveal their reasons yet (even in PM would do)? As I do not think its commercially sensitive information, a FOI request to DE would bring about all their reasoning!

It is really concerning that the combined weather and DE decision may have killed the show, if it has, questions need to be asked in Parliament as to why this has happened. Especially to a charity.

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Abingdonman on Tue 04 May 2010, 8:12 am

In my Humble view,it had to be the weather that was the main culprit for the people not coming out in the required droves,the cold wind being the killer,being wet AND cold is just horrible!
Its all right for hard men like me but for the family,well...:wink:
I know the DE ruling might have put some off as well,but I personally never gave NOT going a thought because of that, I wouldnt be the only one by a long way.....what was in the flying programme and on the ground was plenty good enough for a great day out.
It was that 'old airshow enemy'....... the British weather!
Abingdonman

Postby The Baron on Tue 04 May 2010, 6:39 pm

I'd just like to say a hearty 'Well Done' to the crew that made Abingdon possible. You managed an excellent show all round despite adverse weather conditions and the DE ruling. Also a big thank you to the people who displayed for us. It an't have been easy. Both organisers and participants did a fantastic job! Well done to you all.

Many thanks for a great day.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Arno 01 on Tue 04 May 2010, 9:58 pm

Hi HawkDisplay (Tom), thanks very much for giving up your spare time at weekends to bring the Hawk 2010 display to us. I wasn't at Abingdon, but look forward to catching your display at various venues this year. Hope you have a great season :clap:

Cheers

Kev
Arno 01

Postby Oldtower on Sun 23 May 2010, 9:06 pm

Hi all

Ok i won't make it too long winded but, under the Freedom of Info act (FOI) i have now finally rec'd the report & all i will say at this stage is there is nothing to suggest a total ban of fixed wing aircraft...!

We are currently compiling a report to be presented to DE.

As far as 2011 goes, we hope to do a show in some capacity to (fingers crossed) as previous years content. Its too early to comment on the donation to Air Ambulance but will say its going to be less than we would have liked to give them.
Oldtower

Postby patrouille2001 on Sun 23 May 2010, 9:40 pm

Hi Neil
thanks for reply. My brother and I travelled from Newcastle and still enjoyed the show, worth the travel for the F-16 and VC10.

Just a possibility, but is there no other airfield in the area suitable, such as Little Rissington or even Oxford Kidlington fot the Country fair.

My brother and I will still be there next year

Paul
patrouille2001

Postby Abingdonman on Sun 23 May 2010, 10:34 pm

Abingdon was the only outside show I would have gone to on that particular day,2 people I was to meet pulled out because of the weather,I,ve been wetter at previous Abingdon shows past but never so cold,maybe I wore the wrong clothes or the bloods got thin, but its the coldest I ever was at an airshow! :grin:
Better luck for the future anyway!
Abingdonman

Postby andrewn on Sat 29 May 2010, 9:36 pm

It was a great show, held under very difficult conditions. I came down from Cheshire with the wife, son and my father and there was something to keep us all amused, despite the horrible weather!

Highlights:
    The Daleks - 6 yr old son loved them
    The historic buses - great for keeping dry in
    The VC-10 & F-16 - Both did fantastic shows, in their own way
    Relaxed, friendly atmosphere, crews on hand, etc

Lowlights
    None - other than the weather

Here's hoping that next year takes place - we'll be there if it does. Thanks.
andrewn

Postby Oldtower on Mon 31 May 2010, 8:38 pm

Thanks people for the kind comments.

We are hoping to stage the 2011 show at Abingdon - i thought about relocating the show after all the unessecary troubles we have had to endure but to be honest you couldn't really call it ' Abingdon air & Country Show' if at a different airfield.

We will be taking our basic PR stall around to local / not so local events during the summer.
Oldtower

Postby Andover on Mon 31 May 2010, 11:05 pm

Yes - Keep Abingdon alive, it's my second local Airfield and long may it continue as such! :smile: And this show echoes the BBAH days that I used to attend there.
"...So the days, they turn into years. And still no tomorrow appears..."
Andover

Previous

Return to Other UK Airshows and Events