Moths at Woburn 16th-17th August

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
tommo999

Moths at Woburn 16th-17th August

Post by tommo999 »

Planning on popping up to Woburn Abbey for this event:

http://www.mothsatwoburn.co.uk/

Aircraft booked so far include Old Warden's DH60G & Blackburn B2, 2 Fw44s from Germany, DH60 from Switzerland, Hornet Moths for the type's 80th birthday, Irish Historic Flight's Dragon & Chipmunks, Several European-based Tiger Moths etc. with a BBMF flypast on Sunday. Looks a nice lineup.

Am seeking some advice - what exactly is the format of the show? I'm aware that there is a flying display on Sunday (perhaps Saturday too?) but when do most arrivals and departures happen? I'd like to see as much as I can in the air as well as on the ground, and cannot decide which day(s) I should aim to visit!

Disaster Area

Re: Moths at Woburn 16th-17th August

Post by Disaster Area »

Tommo

I've been to Woburn a few times (but not for a few years now). Unless the event has changed an awful lot it is more of a fly-in than an airshow.
If the weather is forecasted to be good over the whole weekend then I imagine that Saturday will be the best day for arrivals and sunday for departures.
I usually park in the village of Woburn and walk upto the area being used by the aircraft, parking is expensive in the Abbey if my memory serves me correct!
Its a beautiful setting to take photos of vintage aircraft so take your camera and be sure to share your images with us (just in case I don't get there!!)

Chris.

stevie

Post by stevie »

They had a pretty much full blown flying display at the last two events that I attended. It's usually all the arrivals on the Saturday & flying display on the Sunday but I'm sure there's a flying display on both days this year. Arrivals on Saturday & departures start after awards are handed out to the Moth Club members pretty much as soon as the display ends.

It has to be one of most pleasant events of the year. The deer park & abbey are the ideal backdrop. Well worth visiting.

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Cheers - am sort of hoping there is some sort of flying on Saturday as I plan to do Sywell on the Sunday!

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

By 'representative aircraft types' does it mean the aircraft that will be there?
If so is that the Shuttleworth comet racer?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

From the website: "Over 100 aeroplanes now booked in . . . . including 47 Tiger Moths 9 Hornet Moths 6 Gipsy Moths 2 Fox Moths 2 Puss Moths 2 Leopard Moths 2 Dragons and 18 Chipmunks plus a large supporting cast"

For anyone who hasn't been before, I highly recommend this event. A lovely chilled day out with vintage aircraft and a smashing location.
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Hi, I am one of the organisers of the Moth Rally.

Yes, it is predominantly a fly in (we now have over 100 aeroplanes booked in) but with a formal air display on Sunday afternoon which is de Havilland based (but we have the DH Storch again which was a hit last year). There may be one or two rehearsals on Saturday afternoon but Saturday tends to be a 'gathering day'.

Sadly we do not have the DH88 Comet racer although we pitched for it earlier in the year. It has not flown at Old Warden yet (where I am also involved.)

Car parking is free but there is an admission charge which now all comes to the Moth Club which helps fund the event. Advanced tickets at discount are available via the website http://www.mothsatwoburn.co.uk and I endeavour to keep the Facebook and Twitter feeds updated (Moths at Woburn and @mothsatwoburn). Sorry for the blatant plug, delete if inappropriate.

Edited to add: We also have a lot of Classic cars booked in to share our day.
vA
stevelevien.com

J.Smith photography

How much are the tickets?
And do you know anything more about the comet at shuttleworth, are they ever going to fly it? (off topic, but just curious)

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

I don't want to blatantly plug our event here, please see mothsatwoburn.co.uk for the prices.

I am not sure what the schedule is for the Comet at OW, sorry.
vA
stevelevien.com

J.Smith photography

This thread is about your event though ?
Just found it on your website, not a fan of your site if I'm being honest

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

vintage ATCO wrote:I don't want to blatantly plug our event here.

That's what this forum and thread are for . The floor is yours. :smile:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Thank you

In brief then as I am about to walk out of the door and drive to East Fortune to do their display on Saturday . . .

On the gate prices at Woburn are £10 Sat, £15 Sun or £8/£12 if booked on the website www.mothsatwoburn.co.uk . Apologies if this is not liked. There are still some VIP packages available on Sat where, inter alia, you get a sit down lunch in the Club marquee but we are sold out on Sun.

Trade stands, food concessions and about 100 classic cars booked.

I would emphasise that all entry money now comes to the Moth Club which is different to how it use to be.

There are over 100 aeroplanes booked in and we are now at 50 Tiger Moths. I'll post updates as and when I have new information, also on Facebook and Twitter.

BBMF flypast Sunday afternoon, time to be confirmed, inc Spit, Hurri and both Lancs.
vA
stevelevien.com

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

That sounds great. Didn't know that we had as many as at least 50 Tiger Moths in the country!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

J.Smith photography

If you manage to get the two lancasters, i will be more than likely to attend
Now all you need is some good weather

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Assuming there must be a number of European Moths in there as well? 50 Tiger Moths would be an impressive sight... :drool:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Hmmm, I was planning on going to Sywell, but the Comet Racer if it's going to this might change things!?
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

vintage ATCO wrote:Sadly we do not have the DH88 Comet racer although we pitched for it earlier in the year. It has not flown at Old Warden yet (where I am also involved.)

Maisie, something tells me you will be doing Sywell :wink:

So, just to clarify, is Saturday an arrivals day, or does some/most stuff arrive on the weekdays leading up to the weekend?

J.Smith photography

Has anyone got any photos from this event that they could share?
What kind of size lens do you need?
I was looking earlier on google maps but I couldn't work out where any of the flying etc would take place, looked like there was too many trees around

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Take a look under the 'Gallery' tab on the website mentioned above, should give you some idea.

Or a quick search on the forum and you'll find images from previous years: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54463&p=541669&hilit=Woburn#p541669

J.Smith photography

I've had a look, but it didn't answer my other question about what kind of size lens you need?
Also where is the best place to stand (mainly for topsides, but take off shots are good)? I presume at one end of the flight line so that you can get shots of them banking past showing topside? :dunno:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

J.Smith photography wrote:I've had a look, but it didn't answer my other question about what kind of size lens you need?
Also where is the best place to stand (mainly for topsides, but take off shots are good)? I presume at one end of the flight line so that you can get shots of them banking past showing topside? :dunno:

My dad goes often and either uses a 70-300 or 100-400. 300 is fine I believe for aircraft flying/landing and taking off.

I think I will be at Sywell too, really want to see the Canberra again.
6D | 7D | 60D

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

J.Smith photography wrote:Has anyone got any photos from this event that they could share?

Loads of photos on a.net. That's always my first port of call for anything like this.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

tommo999 wrote:
vintage ATCO wrote:Sadly we do not have the DH88 Comet racer although we pitched for it earlier in the year. It has not flown at Old Warden yet (where I am also involved.)

Maisie, something tells me you will be doing Sywell :wink:

Am going to this now... change of mind :clap:
6D | 7D | 60D

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

I'm thinking about doing this, just have to think about travel. Looks great.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

J.Smith photography wrote:If you manage to get the two lancasters, i will be more than likely to attend
Now all you need is some good weather

Seems they listened as the Lancaster pair is now listed for a Woburn flypast on Sun 17th.