Scottish Airshow 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
CalumG

Scottish Airshow 2015

Post by CalumG »

The Scottish Airshow returns on the 5th & 6th September 2015.

Participants will be added in the list below

Flying (Saturday 5th)
RAFAT Red Arrows
RAF Hawk T2 Role demo
RAF Typhoon FGR4
RAF Tutor
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (Spitfire & Hurricane)
Royal Navy Sea King SAR demo
Royal Marines role demostration (feat. 2x Merlins)
B-17 Sally B
Catalina Little Miss Pick Up
Vulcan XH558
Swedish Air Force Historic Flight Sk60 & Draken
Irish Historic Flight De Havilland DH.84 Dragon Iolar & 3x Chipmunks
Shipping and Airline LTD DH.87 Hornet Moth & DH.90 Dragonfly
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-ASAL)
Tom Cassells' CAP 232
Speedtwin Comet
Hamish Mitchell's Reims FR172 floatplane

Static (Sunday 6th)
RAF Typhoon FGR4
RAF Tornado GR4
RAF King Air
RAF Squirrel HT1
Royal Navy Merlin x2
Royal Navy Sea King
B-17 Sally B
Catalina Little Miss Pick Up
Vulcan XH558
Swedish Air Force Historic Flight Viggen, Sk60, Tunnan, Draken
Irish Historic Flight De Havilland DH.84 Dragon Iolar & 3x Chipmunks
Shipping and Airline LTD DH.87 Hornet Moth, DH.90 Dragonfly & Piper L4 Grasshopper
Trump's S76
AS350B Ecureuil
Hamish Mitchell's Reims FR172 floatplane
Rutan Long-Ez G-OMJT
Zenair CH 601HDS Super Zodiac G-OMEZ
Speedtwin Comet

Line up looks great so far, the RAF are sending a full house this year :yahoo:

Calum :biggrin:
Last edited by CalumG on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 6:27 pm, edited 39 times in total.

stratocaster

Re: Scottish Airshow 2015

Post by stratocaster »

Right,we've got dates for the next show,,will book time off and also get the weekend accommodation sorted! :yahoo:
Card carrying aviation addict!

allan1958

Post by allan1958 »

Delighted to see the show returns next year but, less than delighted at the same 2 day, 2 venue format. I am however acutely aware that there will be valid reasons for this.

Bearing in mind what was on offer this year, it simply was not possible for me to justify two round trips of nearly 170 miles each on consecutive days with attendant costs. However, as we don't know yet what will be attending it's premature to jump to any such conclusion yet. Despite the limited show and the unfortunate non appearance of the Lancasters on Saturday , I still think it was a very good first attempt and definitely something that can be built on.

Allan

Commando

Post by Commando »

allan1958 wrote:Delighted to see the show returns next year but, less than delighted at the same 2 day, 2 venue format. I am however acutely aware that there will be valid reasons for this.

Bearing in mind what was on offer this year, it simply was not possible for me to justify two round trips of nearly 170 miles each on consecutive days with attendant costs. However, as we don't know yet what will be attending it's premature to jump to any such conclusion yet. Despite the limited show and the unfortunate non appearance of the Lancasters on Saturday , I still think it was a very good first attempt and definitely something that can be built on.

Allan

The reason for the 2 day/2 location is to give the 2 towns spin offs from it with all the people that are around, local paper this week saying around 61,000 attended over the weekend

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

A 2 day weekender is ideal for a major airshow,I understand that it's not generally suitable for some due to whatever the reasons. 61,000 isn't a bad start and hopefully it's been a boost to Prestwick,Ayr and surrounding areas. It can only get bigger and better. Hopefully they'll start booking various participants now,and that would also have to include some standby participants incase of unforseen circumstances such as weather elsewhere etc. I noted when I'd been a regular to Leuchars and East Fortune,weeks and months before,whilst visiting regular watering holes,they had posters up advertising the forthcoming airshow. So maybe more advertising of this airshow would help a little. Anyhow,I am looking forward to next year,bring it on!! :yahoo:

allan1958

Post by allan1958 »

Commando wrote:
allan1958 wrote:Delighted to see the show returns next year but, less than delighted at the same 2 day, 2 venue format. I am however acutely aware that there will be valid reasons for this.

Allan

The reason for the 2 day/2 location is to give the 2 towns spin offs from it with all the people that are around, local paper this week saying around 61,000 attended over the weekend

I figured it would be something like that but, I wonder how many of those 61,000 actually went to Prestwick?. I also don't agree with the other post about a 2 day weekender being ideal . It certainly works for major events like Waddington, Duxford or Fairford but, you are getting both flying AND static events at ONE venue on both days. This Air show was not the same. I suppose time will ultimately tell if it is the right decision. I will reserve judgement until next years participation list is finalised. What I can however say with certainty is that the static display would have to be really exceptional to persuade me to make another round trip the next day. You can of course NEVER please everybody :lol:
I suspect the actual format of the show is one of those arguments that will rumble on and on................!! Of course, one possible compromise would be to hold the static display on Saturday as well and arrange shuttle buses between the two events ? After all Prestwick & Ayr are not far apart.

Allan

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Well,it's as I stated,it's not ideal for everyone,but I found that it was fine for me,but then I'm only seeing it from my own point of view. I have been told that it will get very sizable indeed and there is much work to be done to get it to the format they have in mind,but they are taking the 2 day weekender for the time being.The main point is,we are attending it whether at Low green or at PIK itself,the more there are of us attending,the more likely we are to keep this airshow going.

Commando

Post by Commando »

Around 10,000 went to the airport on the sunday

allan1958

Post by allan1958 »

stratocaster wrote:Well,it's as I stated,it's not ideal for everyone,but I found that it was fine for me,but then I'm only seeing it from my own point of view. I have been told that it will get very sizable indeed and there is much work to be done to get it to the format they have in mind,but they are taking the 2 day weekender for the time being.The main point is,we are attending it whether at Low green or at PIK itself,the more there are of us attending,the more likely we are to keep this airshow going.

On that last point we can DEFINITELY both agree!! :biggrin: . I fully accept the amount of work that has to be done just to organise a show. Like you, I am speaking from a purely personal perspective. I don't imagine they will change things immediately. Probably take a few shows to see how they progress. Main thing is, we BOTH enjoyed the event regardless. Being practical, If it was a choice between a 2 day/2 venue event or no air show at all then I'd live with the format as it is!

Allan

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst »

allan1958 wrote:I figured it would be something like that but, I wonder how many of those 61,000 actually went to Prestwick?.

The airport authority set a limit of 10,000 for the apron. 10,000 tickets were sold.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

allan1958 wrote:
stratocaster wrote:Well,it's as I stated,it's not ideal for everyone,but I found that it was fine for me,but then I'm only seeing it from my own point of view. I have been told that it will get very sizable indeed and there is much work to be done to get it to the format they have in mind,but they are taking the 2 day weekender for the time being.The main point is,we are attending it whether at Low green or at PIK itself,the more there are of us attending,the more likely we are to keep this airshow going.

On that last point we can DEFINITELY both agree!! :biggrin: . I fully accept the amount of work that has to be done just to organise a show. Like you, I am speaking from a purely personal perspective. I don't imagine they will change things immediately. Probably take a few shows to see how they progress. Main thing is, we BOTH enjoyed the event regardless. Being practical, If it was a choice between a 2 day/2 venue event or no air show at all then I'd live with the format as it is!

Allan

Absolutely,and it will be interesting to see how over time this develops. I'm going to put my cards on the table and say,although it is a seedling just now,I'm confident it will become very close to how I used to remember it,and that's bearing in mind modern safety laws etc etc. I don't think I witnessed too many commercial movements on the Saturday and saw around 6 including a 747 freighter as the sum total of the movements on the Sunday,so I'd imagine certain things could be worked around?
Good to see that although 10,000 was the limit set and 10,000 turned up,I hope those who have organised the airshow got a boost from that, and this will have given them more motivation to see what they can do for next year. So well done to those who put on the show and to those (I'm excluding myself in this count although I turned up) who attended... :clap: :biggrin:

barkin mad

Post by barkin mad »

[/quote]

I don't think I witnessed too many commercial movements on the Saturday and saw around 6 including a 747 freighter as the sum total of the movements on the Sunday,so I'd imagine certain things could be worked around?
[/quote]

It might not be so much of an issue in future years Ryanair are moving most of their Prestwick flights to Glasgow.

--------------------------------

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

That was their plan,but is that still the case? I have heard they've reneged on that somewhere. :dunno:

dconnery1966

Post by dconnery1966 »

It would be good to get the Reds and the Typhoon for next year, but I must admit a great start :smile: Missed the Saturday cause I was working

but went to the static on the sunday which was excellent, I know some people have different opinions about 2 day events, each to there own, if they are going to

have more participants for static and flying will that take up the whole of Terminal space ? or will they eventually move to Gannet like the old days ?

Anyway what I found strange was The Reds had a stall but no Reds for either day, and folk kept asking them what about the Reds are they displaying much to the annoyance of the folk at

the stall lol, would love to get The Dutch & Belgian F-16s for next year im sure these guys would love to come to Prestwick next year.

Anyway hats of to a great start and long may it continue :clap:

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Ahh,Dougie,if I had realised I'd have sent you a text or phoned to let you know I was there! I attended both days,was one of the stragglers on Sunday evening (wouldn't budge until I'd seen XH558 leave.) I'll be ready next time!! :up: :biggrin:

Commando

Post by Commando »

The sort of official launching was today agreement reached for support with South ayrshire council confirmed dates 5th/6th september more info on show faceboook page and airport website
www.glasgowprestwick.com

Degsy

Post by Degsy »

Back again for 2015. Let`s hope it can get a few top act`s to support it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-31503435

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

BoBMF surely is in the mix! The Reds have to have a shot at it this year. Now I know I always live in hope with regard to seeing a Lancaster and Vulcan flying together, so would it be possible this year? :wink:
Phoon/Tonka would be fantastic and if there are more classics,all the better! Just keep our eyes on participants list. :biggrin:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Yes we definately need some RAF Lossiemouth Typhoons and Tornados in the Static, while the Red Arrows, RAF Typhoon Display for the Saturday Display etc. Also when are the RN Sea Kings at HMS Gannet due for retirement? One of these for the Static if they're still around........

Commando

Post by Commando »

Unknown74 wrote:Yes we definately need some RAF Lossiemouth Typhoons and Tornados in the Static, while the Red Arrows, RAF Typhoon Display for the Saturday Display etc. Also when are the RN Sea Kings at HMS Gannet due for retirement? One of these for the Static if they're still around........

Seakings are still around not sure until when but work has started on the SAR hanger

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

A couple of A.4 Skyhawks for Static would be nice :smile: ....................?

EGL

Post by EGL »

First act confirmed today.

Listed on the Red Arrow's schedule - be nice to see them display over the sea!

CalumG

Post by CalumG »

Sally B too according to the airshow's facebook page :yahoo:

Looking forward to it!

CalumG

Post by CalumG »

Full report from press conference for the show:
The organisers of the Scottish Airshow have revealed a spectacular increase in the 2015 line-up, including an incredible display by the world-famous Red Arrows.
In 2015 we will be celebrating significant milestones –
· Spirit AeroSystems are 10 years old, with nine successful years established at Prestwick
· The RAF will be commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain
· BAE Systems will be celebrating the 80th year of Scottish Aviation Ltd – one of the companies which merged to form BAE.
· 819 Squadron will step down from their record-breaking role as the Northern Search and Rescue unit.
“The ground and air shows are all much bigger this year and still free to watch on the Saturday. The highlight of the flying programme has to be the full display of the world-famous Red Arrows aerobatic team. The Royal Air Force has given the Scottish Airshow ‘platinum’ status which means it’s committing all its 2015 air display aircraft to Ayrshire.
“As well as the Red Arrows, we will see the RAF’s dynamic Typhoon fighter jet and the agility of the 3 Tutor aerobatic training aircraft. The commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain will be in the afternoon when the Spitfire, Lancaster and Hurricane will all take to the skies above the Low Green in Ayr.”
This year will also see the addition of the RAF Falcons parachute team who will be demonstrating their skills with a landing at the Ayr seafront site.
And two RAF Hawk training jet pilots will demonstrate their superb flying skills along the Ayr beach front before landing at Prestwick airport.
On Sunday 6th September, the entertainment moves on to the Aircraft Exhibition at Glasgow Prestwick airport where adults can pay to enter for a full day’s family entertainment. Child tickets are free with adults buying in advance.
Glasgow Prestwick Chief Executive Iain Cochrane said: "We are delighted to play a central role in the 2015 Airshow. Last year's show was magnificent and this year’s promises to be even bigger and better. The exciting programme announced today by the organisers will ensure bumper crowds and fabulous entertainment for all the family.”
Bob Alexander, chairman of the Scottish Airshow organising committee, said: “The RAF is backing us with some great teams and displays, but we have not forgotten the popularity of the other aircraft and pilots which the public so enjoyed last year. By enormous public demand, we will see the return of the last flying Vulcan bomber. This truly iconic aircraft left many awestruck last year and we are delighted to bring the aircraft and crew back to the 2015 Scottish Airshow.
“European aerobatic champion Tom Cassells will be returning to display two more aircraft this year. The beach front at Ayr is such a great place to view this type of adventurous flying.”
The Saturday flying will finish in the late afternoon with a tribute to 819 Squadron at HMS Gannet and their outstanding achievements as the UK’s busiest Search and Rescue flight.
The majestic 2nd World War bomber, ‘Sally B’, will be appearing for the first time. This beautiful four-engined Flying Fortress bomber will not only display on the Saturday, but will be on the ground at Glasgow Prestwick airport on the Sunday for the public to see up close. Sally B has a bigger wingspan than the Lancaster bomber but flies her displays like a fighter.
Event organiser Danny Anderson said the exhibition format had proved highly entertaining all day last year: “We will again have a number of aircraft which will be available for people to go on board. The beautiful aircraft which fly at Saturday’s event will be on the ground at Prestwick. People will be able to take the Vulcan tour which not only gets you right under the wings of the world’s only flying Vulcan but you will be in the company of a very knowledgeable member of the Vulcan team who will explain lots of details about this unique aircraft. It will be amazing to see the Flying Fortress, Sally B and the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane all on the ground at the same time.”
“We will also have a Helicopter Heaven area where we will be displaying both civil and military helicopters. The Merlin helicopter was very popular last year and there will be two of them in the Aircraft Exhibition.”
Bob Alexander said: “We are actively negotiating with other companies to bring more aircraft of great interest. In the last few days, we have confirmed that the historic Royal Navy Swordfish bi-plane will make her way to Ayr and Prestwick. She was a key member of the armed forces in the early days of the 2nd World War and it will be great to see her grace the skies as well as the faster aircraft commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. I hope in the coming months we will delight a lot of people with the more aircraft which will come to the Scottish Airshow.

So we'll be getting:
Red Arrows
Typhoon
Hawk T2 role demo
BBMF
B-17
RAF Falcons
RNHF Swordfish
2 Merlins (static)
3 Tutors
Tom Cassells will return (aircraft unknown)
Vulcan
Helicopter Heaven

Have I missed any?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Well now, this is all very splendid! Looking v good already. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...