Fireworks Display & 'Just Jane' Night Run

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
iGol66

Fireworks Display & 'Just Jane' Night Run

Post by iGol66 »

Next Saturday 1st November. Anyone planning to go? Looks like quite a nice way to spend a dull and grey Saturday.

I was just wondering, is it the sort of event people will chain their chairs to the fences and it will be impossible to stand near the fence if I arrive later, or is it much more laid back, and it's safe to arrive in the afternoon and still have a nice position along the fence to see the night run?

Thanks!

stevie

Re: Fireworks Display & 'Just Jane' Night Run

Post by stevie »

iGol66 wrote:Next Saturday 1st November. Anyone planning to go? Looks like quite a nice way to spend a dull and grey Saturday.

I was just wondering, is it the sort of event people will chain their chairs to the fences and it will be impossible to stand near the fence if I arrive later, or is it much more laid back, and it's safe to arrive in the afternoon and still have a nice position along the fence to see the night run?

Thanks!

I can't make it this year but have been several times in the past. We've always thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's usually a fairly laid back event during the daytime part of the event but it gets very crowded for the night run & fireworks.

There is no crowd line as such. The lanc will have a roped fence all around it in between runs so you can get a decent view all around the aircraft & when it's time to start up & taxy they basically just move people off the taxy way directly in front of the Lanc & then rope off the area where the Lanc will taxy off to, which is off onto the grass area in the distance. During the daylight runs you should get a great view & will even be able to walk with the aircraft as it taxy's for a while but as I said it'll be rammed with people for the night time part of the day so you'll have to pre plan thing's a bit more. Unlike at an airshow though, you can't really chain your seat to the fence because there isn't one except for when the taxy runs are taking place when they rope off the taxy way.

It is a fantastic sight though, seeing (& hearing) the aircraft emerge out of the darkness as she makes her way back towards the public area, especially bearing in mind the airfields night bomber wartime history & old control tower present. I would say though, it's a good idea to be at (or near) the Lancs parking spot as she taxy's back as they usually pull on the full power & you're right up close. You also get a few nice sparks coming out of the engines at night as well.

Oh & the fireworks are pretty good as well :lol: .

Hope this helps
Steve
:smile:

hmeasures

Re: Fireworks Display & 'Just Jane' Night Run

Post by hmeasures »

As above really - I've been twice now and would go again however I think I'm going to brunty on Saturday... Another bad clash this year :sad:

I would arrive mid afternoon in time for the early taxi run, will give you time to have a look round the hangar/museum, get some static shots of the lanc and some food (get food early, queue gets massive later on!) before finding a nice spot along the fencing for the taxi run. I've found they stop once at the 'threshold' to run up and then once again when back right infront of the crowd... I would stand about half way down :)

ImageJust Jane Night Taxi 2013 by Harry Measures, on Flickr