Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
R4118

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 2015

Post by R4118 »

A long time with no news!

So I was wondering what are the conditions for a photographer at this event. Any suggestions about the best spot for taking pictures ?

Airminded greetings from Belgium
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

JoshWiggins

Post by JoshWiggins »

Breitling wingwalkers were added a few days ago

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

R4118. . . point your camera upwards id suggest.

Airport ICAO is EGKB

co-ordinates 51°19′51″N 000°01′57″E. . (google maps is your friend)

runway is 03/21

July, mid term of highest point of sun.

Sun will be overhead, as normal and from around 5pm onwards will be at 10 o'clock position when looking directly over the display line.

Its a very open airfield which does not suffer from large amounts of corporate hospitality tents.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Unfortunately I can't go into the show, where's good for photos outside the fence ?
Are the fields near Ashmore Lane at the north north west end of the airfield any good ?
I appreciate this has probably been asked 1,000's of time in the past, I've looked for a previous post, couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance

Paul

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Biggin Hill is a pretty decent place for photography in general although the sun can be a bit handful as the day goes on as it becomes directly above then in front of the display line, nothing too bad I have managed some decent shots there over the years and it's nice to see the sun anyway :biggrin: .
It's only advance purchase on the tickets so nothing on the day, but at £16.50 plus a £2.50 booking fee, £19 is value for money.

Enjoy and may see you there as I've already booked.

Martin
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

Just wondering, will the EADS Bf 109 do a full solo routine, or will it only take part in a fly past, like RIAT 2010?

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

It says in airshow 2015 magazine "will therefore provide the first opportunity for UK audiences to see the aircraft complete its full display routine"

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

paullangford wrote:Unfortunately I can't go into the show, where's good for photos outside the fence ?
Are the fields near Ashmore Lane at the north north west end of the airfield any good ?
I appreciate this has probably been asked 1,000's of time in the past, I've looked for a previous post, couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance

Paul

The fields you mention are probably as good as anywhere else,there's lots of parking on the main road or the car-park by the toilets if you're early enough to get in there ! There's a public footpath almost opposite Ashmore Lane and it's usually possible to stand by the perimeter fence ( hedge )
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Wonder if XH558 could be booked ,now it's her last time to see her??

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

The Red Bull Matadors are the final addition. :smile:

Well done to the organisers, they have done a good job this year. :clap:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

frank

Post by frank »

Just bought my ticket on line. I notice that that they have tried to implement some of the learnings from last year e.g. more food outlets.
Lets hope the traffic management is better this year but I will try to get there early anyways :smile:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I hope they put the 109 on early, when the sun is in a better position for photography!

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

And I hope you don't make it to the show at all so we're less one person who doesn't quite get the point of the whole event.
Live life to the full and never look back.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Mattster256 wrote:And I hope you don't make it to the show at all so we're less one person who doesn't quite get the point of the whole event.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Mattster256 wrote:And I hope you don't make it to the show at all so we're less one person who doesn't quite get the point of the whole event.

That's a little harsh, I get the point of the event, but aviation and photography are my hobbies, what's so wrong about wanting the best situation for both?

Maybe one of the organisers will read this and take that into account, good photos from their event are good advertising for next years show!

frank

Post by frank »

Very strange and oddball comment - It's not all sack cloth and ashes you know. it's no different to saying you hope you have good weather so you can enjoy the airshow. Would you say the same to people who go to RIAT for the aircraft and not because it's a charity. The charity benefit happens to be a bonus

I too hope the Me109 flies in good light for photography. And before you start to troll me I will make it to the show
Last edited by frank on Sat 30 May 2015, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Yeah there are some real odd balls on hear at times,they get so defensive,hate to see how they deal with life in general!

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

aceyone wrote:
paullangford wrote:Unfortunately I can't go into the show, where's good for photos outside the fence ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

The fields you mention are probably as good as anywhere else,there's lots of parking on the main road or the car-park by the toilets if you're early enough to get in there ! There's a public footpath almost opposite Ashmore Lane and it's usually possible to stand by the perimeter fence ( hedge )

Thanks aceyone, ......we'll try there then :smile:

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

I've never been to Biggin Hill and I'm just wondering if there are any recommended places inside the show for photography and getting the best viewing place, or any tips for the venue? I know it's been discussed already, but just wondering if anyone has any more tips. Thanks!

Looking forward to the show very much, looks like a nice varied list of aircraft put together by hard working organisers.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The event has now sold out!

bigginmole

Post by bigginmole »

Hi All

Yes we have sold out, 2 days earlier than last year. To confirm there are no tickets available on the day and all approach roads to the airport from the north and south will have parking restrictions enforced particularly in the area of Leavers Green which I see was mentioned for access into the fields on the North side of the airfield. Those fields have been planted to crop and we would appreciate people not trampling the crop, we have resisted applying for the footpath to be temporarily closed but will consider for 2016 if the farmer has issues.

For those that have tickets, yes we have increased catering units three fold and the new car park team are already making preparations.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

bigginmole wrote:Hi All

Yes we have sold out, 2 days earlier than last year. To confirm there are no tickets available on the day and all approach roads to the airport from the north and south will have parking restrictions enforced particularly in the area of Leavers Green which I see was mentioned for access into the fields on the North side of the airfield. Those fields have been planted to crop and we would appreciate people not trampling the crop, we have resisted applying for the footpath to be temporarily closed but will consider for 2016 if the farmer has issues.

For those that have tickets, yes we have increased catering units three fold and the new car park team are already making preparations.

OK That's understandable, do you have any other suggestions where's best outside the fence for photography ?, I'm not familiar with the area.....thanks in advance :smile:

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

Hi All,

Ive got some walking tickets but need to make the journey by road from Maidstone. I know local parking will be an issue but is there parking near the bus route 320 as I could park and ride as this is a free service.

TIA
Stu

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Coming back on the photography question: how are the conditions for the static airplanes.
Last time I went to Biggin was for the last big air show and static planes were a bit everywhere if I remember correctly. Some rather far away. Will this be the case now also?
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

JasonV

Post by JasonV »

Hello all

Not quite sure how to go about this, and I hope to maybe get some advice from someone here in regards to tickets to the show. I'm over from Brazil with my kids visiting family and had intentions to go. Unfortunately, came to buy tickets before the deadline and were sold out. My son and I were very much looking forward to the event especially as it's commemorating the Battle of Britain, which he's been following since he was old enough to speak. If anyone can give any sort of advice on the possibility of getting tickets we'd deeply appreciate it.

Even if we can't get there, hope you all enjoy the show.