Throckmorton Airshow 6th June 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Jason32

Re: Throckmorton Airshow 6th June 2015

Post by Jason32 »

Has anyone gone today...any chance of what time the Vulcan is listed at displaying please?

Thanks
................Jason Sparkes..................
Military Aviation Enthusiast & MSFS Painter

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Total hush hush on what time Vulcan gets there - cant understand this whole secrecy thing. People have had to buy tickets in advance anyway
Currently traffic very busy round the airport. So not a good start. :wall:

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

That'll be why there's total secrecy then. I'm hoping to catch it from afar before I go to work so would love to know when it's due on stage, but can totally understand why- they'd be mad to release info earlier than needed.

You could probably at least double the traffic in the area if they said the Vulcan was showing up at X o'clock.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Vulcan displaying at 3pm.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Live stream still not started. :sad:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

jalfrezi wrote:Vulcan displaying at 3pm.

Blenheim?
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Live stream still not started. :sad:
Just checked the airshow's website ( assuming the link on flightline is correct ) , it's currently offline....wonder if that's why the feed is dead ??
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Feed's working at last -- JP displaying. :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Been a good show so far, Wingwalkers displaying now.

Only two cancellations have been the BBMF & GWDT.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Traffic management getting off site is actually worse than Cosford, never thought I'd say that! I've barely moved in 50 mins, and it seems like a free for all, with the 4x4 cutting across the grass :down:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Decent little show, flying display was gentle shall we say. Highlights being the superb Blenheim :clap: displaying perfectly to the crowd so you can see the type, Rich Goodwin and the gravity defying Pitts :shock: and an excellent JP display :cool: , hopefully Mr Strawson was watching.

Traffic management was absolutely abysmal, getting in was bad, getting out impossible, cars moved one length in an hour while we were watching, no one marshalling at heads of queues.

Vulcan display no different to last year really, nicely flown but nothing wild like had been rumoured from "observers", all very polite really. Still great to see though, and the audience looked pleased :up: .

And how bumpy is that runway, Team Raven had fun in the flowers a few times :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

Not a bad little show really. Enjoyed the day and was not what I was expecting. Panicked a little early on before eventually deciding to ditch the car and 'speed-walk' from about two miles away. So if you saw a teenager with just a camera bag jumping into nettles to avoid oncoming traffic...that was me. I was also hoping for more static aircraft unless I missed a few. Looking forward to 2016.

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote: and an excellent JP display :cool: , hopefully Mr Strawson was watching.

Alas, he was not :-(
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Shame.....you missed a very good display.
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Which jp was it, any idea?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

XW324- Jet Aerobatics.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

These are my own personal views and thoughts of the day.

Traffic management, well..............there wasn't any.
No signage for the airshow, only signs to a "Help for Heroes" event ?
We got to Throckmorton Road at 10:00am (gates opened at 10:00) only to find it shut, the airport is only a mile or two from there, so we had no choice but to rejoin the A44, which turned out to be a 4 mile queue.
We moved 1/2 a mile in 2 hours in that queue, and by this time the show had started at 12:30 and the traffic by now had stopped completely, so we were watching it from the car.
I didn't know what time the V****n was appearing (our main reason for going), so I decided to get out of the queue and find somewhere to park up, walk and hopefully get a nice spot to photograph 'something'.
I went past the Throckmorton Road again, but by this time all the road closed signs had disappeared, so we went down it, and we arrived at the airfield no probs in 5 mins, got waved in........we were lucky.
We parked up, walked to the gates, and then had to join another long queue to hand our pre paid tickets in, but opposite us was ANOTHER queueing lane with NO people in it for 'Cash Payments Only',.......What's THAT all about ?.......I'm a bit miffed at this point.
Anyway, got in, we'd missed the first few acts, found a place to sit, took some photos, V****n was ace, and the Blenheim was beautiful.
We decided to leave early, mainly to pre-empt the queues we thought would ensue at show end, but even then it took us 1 hour to get out, and you could see the carnage of cars down the lanes that had just been dumped anywhere beforehand.

I feel a bit sorry for the organisers....and then I don't.

The show was supposedly a ticket only event, so they must have known how many people would attend......and then some due the The V****n Effect. This should have dictated the traffic management planning.
If the show was ticket only, what was the Cash Payments Only queue all about ?. I talked to some people who didn't have tickets AND didn't pay anything to get in, they just waked in.
I keep hearing reports that a couple of nearby RTC's were the cause of the queues, & that maybe so, .....so where was plan b ?, .....and where were the Traffic Police for a such major event ?
What worries me is that I feel that events yesterday very quickly started to escalate into more serious ones and the organisers lost control of it, namely the traffic chaos.

I won't be looking for a refund, we missed a quarter of the show, it's ok, it happens.................but on reading the show's FB page, I think ALOT of people who couldn't get in or had to abandon any hope of getting in will be wanting a refund.
I think the show was ok, it should go on, and I'm sure the organisers today are looking at what should be done differently in the future.
The organisers wanted to put on a nice day for us, & all said and done it was.......but we got lucky..........I'd also hate it for the lovely people of The Midlands to lose an airshow.

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

I was expecting more statics. Did I miss a load?

Mart06

Post by Mart06 »

There wont be the traffic problem next year cause there wont be a Vulcan :sad:
I was surprised I could just walk into the show after, the Vulcan display, without tickets :shock:

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Mart06 wrote:There wont be the traffic problem next year cause there wont be a Vulcan :sad:
I was surprised I could just walk into the show after, the Vulcan display, without tickets :shock:

From Throckmorton's FB Page.....

"You can get as far as the car park, but you will not gain access to the showground without a ticket.
We have been advised not to turn people away who are already queuing from a traffic / health and safety perspective and they are being asked to donate to our charities.
But we repeat, please do not travel without a ticket!"

......there's the proof they were letting people in without a ticket..................& they lost control obviously........worrying

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Local Newspapers make for some interesting reading. Surely a fatal "Road Traffic Collision" would be reported to the authorities if it did indeed happen!

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/133 ... __fiasco_/

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

clearstone wrote:Local Newspapers make for some interesting reading. Surely a fatal "Road Traffic Collision" would be reported to the authorities if it did indeed happen!

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/133 ... __fiasco_/

Yep Thanks, I read that this morning, West Mercia Police are adamant there wasn't any reported RTC's let alone a fatal one, ........and if there was.............where was plan B ?
I also read this morning of a Tweet that Throckmorton issued on the day saying that 'due to the high volume of traffic they've opened another entrance'............without saying where that entrance was or how to get to it. Must have been the Throckmorton Road one I 'found' by accident.

Throckmorton's FB page is getting really ugly now, with alot of angry and upset people, but then again Throckmorton aren't replying to anything and the website is shut down.

Even Flightline UK have issued a statement this morning

"Over the last 24 hours, we received a large number of emails concerning the Throckmorton Air Show which took place on Saturday. While we sympathise with many of the views expressed in these emails Flightline UK are not part of the organising team for the event and were not present at the event so will not be producing a review. If you wish to contact the organisers we believe the best contact is hello@throckmortonairshow.co.uk"

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Throckmorton traffic management - my take on it (sorry Paul :wink: )
I left Essex at 7am on Friday and got parked in the show at 12.30ish on Saturday! - but I did stay overnight at Alcester, if I hadn't I doubt i would have got in. The traffic management certainly left much to be desired.

here's an aerial pic and an ordnance survey extract grabbed from bing and I'll share my thoughts and observations:

Imagethrockmorton2 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Imagethrockmorton1 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

I hit the back of the queue at 10am at the roundabout A (OS plan)and ground to an immediate halt. The queue built up very fast on the road back towards Evesham and 5 minutes later was well back beyond the bend and by 10.10 was back to the landfill roundabout (didn't the landfill smell blend well with the burger aromas!), I know it was that far because I spoke to a friend who had just joined the end of the queue there. The 1/4 mile to the cross roads (B) took me 35 minutes and that junction was chaotic as there was no right filter on the lights and traffic from the west and south was backed up onto the junction because the road through the village was already logjammed! It seriously needed traffic control in the form of temporary light control to allow traffic turning right a window to pull across the eastbound traffic not going to the show or a policeman or two to direct the traffic manually.
Once over that junction I thought it would flow easily through the village - Wrong! People were walking far quicker and mothers walking children whilst Dad drove the car, Mothers making far better progress as well! It was another hour or more before I got to the junction C on the map and turning right was a game of roulette for me as an idiot in a Merc decided to pull out of the traffic coming south and drive down the wrong side of the road right towards me nearly de-fronting my car. That cars turning from there into the show demonstrated a bit more road courtesy by allowing myself and others to filter in but traffic control there would have made things safer especially with people like that Merc driver (haven't mentioned her sex as I don't have views on which sex of driver are safer) and an online grocery delivery driver did the same thing a minute or so later. Surely past that junction, things would ease I thought - they did but only marginally and it was another 1/2 hour to entrance 1, the only one open at that time, 2 was opened some time later.
What happened on the airfield was incomprehensible, traffic into 2 lanes but barely moving and being stopped to show tickets (see Paul's comments re a ticket only event) the gate through the fence onto the show field (on the aerial view) was only open enough for one car to get through - that was the start of the bottleneck that fed right back to the main road! Why wasn't it open fully to allow 2 lines of vehicles through?
It was so obvious! except that once though the marshalls seemed to be panicking and sending cars anywhere just to get them away from the gate in an effort to clear it. I was eventually directed onto the west-east runway onto the eastern end towards the tank and car driving items.
Just having that gate open for 2 lanes would have halved the problem and as long as the marshalls direct the two lines to different areas it would have been so,so easier and less frustrating.
Then of course I went to walk into the show area hoping that the queues for the loos would be far shorter than the queue for the show but left my ticket in the car, didn't realise I would need it again. After 3 hours I was rather desperate and thought about paying at the cash gate to save that vital 10 minutes it took to walk back to my car, but I took the latter option. I should have walked the 100 yards to the tank drive as there were 2 loos there and the bonus of walking straight into the show area with no ticket control, no need for cash really :facepalm:

So, why was all the traffic sent that way round instead of using the road through Throckmorton village, the 2nd entrance was opened up and traffic went that way to get there so it clearly wasn't an official road closure, a policeman marshalling traffic on junction D on my plan was all that it would have taken. The road was plenty wide enough for 2 vehicles as I was directed out that way , a few cars coming the opposite direction and even with the abandoned cars on the verges (probably the most sensible decision in the circumstances) it wasn't a problem.

Finally re. getting out, lots left after that triangular thingy with the camouflage and the howl and some claimed it took 1 1/2 hours to get out. I thought about going at 4ish but as there was a double line of cars right behind my car reversing out was not an option so i hung around until the end, went back to the now diminished crowd line , met Paul and Andy (Hairrig) again and finally went back to my car at 5pm. still slow moving but beyond the fence I could see cars driving out unhindered - that damn gate was still only open for 1 car at a time - for goodness sake! 1 gate caused all that chaos. I was back on the main road at D by 5.30 and home at 8.45 after a brief stop at Beaconsfield services.

I am convinced that had that gate been fully open much of the chaos would have been avoided, it just caused everything to back up right to the main road.
Finally any airshow organiser who is thinking of booking that triangular thingy needs to look at he appeal of said aircraft in it's final season, the V****n effect is stronger this year than previously because of the approaching grounding and they need to prepare carefully for the crowds which will be following it. I made a 2 day 450 mile round trip and have other lengthy journeys planned and tickets already bought, something I wouldn't have contemplated for that aircraft in previous years and certainly not for any other aircraft currently on the display circuit.

Sorry it ended up a rather long post, didn't realise I had so much to say about it.

andy

p.s. doI need to change my avatar to avoid mentioning the V***** ? :lol:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

andygolfer wrote: (haven't mentioned her sex as I don't have views on which sex of driver are safer)
.......ooops.......sexist fail :lol: