Little Gransden Charity Air and Car Show - 30th August 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
King Cobra

Re: Little Gransden Charity Air and Car Show - 30th August 2

Post by King Cobra »

sprite1275 wrote:
King Cobra wrote:
sprite1275 wrote:How many "on the gate" tickets are there? Would like to go Saturday but its a bit of a treck for me. Wouldn't want to go and not get in.

Saturday would be a waste of time as the show is on Sunday. :)

Lol bugger. Sunday then?

Their Facebook page doesn't give much of a clue as to how many will actually be available on the day, well nit that I can find away, so suggest getting there nice and early. You can park your car well before the gates open.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From the web site
There will be a limited amount of on the gate tickets available.

Please check the website before traveling to ensure that on the day tickets are available. Ticket prices on the day (subject to availablity) are as follows:

Adult £20 (16+), OAP £15, Child £10 (5-15yrs), Family £50 (2Adult + 2Child), VIP N/A (Advance booking only) Under 5's Free, Parking is Free, WWII Veterans contact us to discuss entry options.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Yak50

Post by Yak50 »

Sally B has just confirmed for Little Gransden :smile:

Peter

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

King Cobra wrote:Their Facebook page doesn't give much of a clue as to how many will actually be available on the day, well nit that I can find away, so suggest getting there nice and early. You can park your car well before the gates open.

maybe the tickets on the day will only be any returned from the retail outlets / shops that have not been sold so numbers will not be known until the last minute. And then they might be reliant on the outlets getting them back to the organisers rather than the latter chasing round for them - they probably have enough to do.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Don't forget your waterproofs tomorrow.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

ppgstf

Post by ppgstf »

Anyone got a time for the Vulcan?

woody

Post by woody »

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the guys at LG today for a good day out in very trying circumstances. Stayed till the end and although waterlogged still would have not missed. Hope you guys haven't lost heart after all the setbacks this year, totally out of your control. Roll on 2016.

Regards
Steve.

PS love Ken's commentary. (And he does sound like my old headmaster!).

ppgstf

Post by ppgstf »

Had massive sympathy for those who paid to see the Vulcan but absolutely none for the organisers. Who do they think they are saying they would suspend the flying display and let everyone know it was because of people standing in fields and public roads. Who made them God?

To the organisers of the show I have one thing to say; you reap what you sow!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

ppgstf wrote:Had massive sympathy for those who paid to see the Vulcan but absolutely none for the organisers. Who do they think they are saying they would suspend the flying display and let everyone know it was because of people standing in fields and public roads. Who made them God?

I was there and I am sure they said the break was due to weather. Yes I was disappointed by the Vulcan's non appearance but was fearing that would happen long before the announcement however I did not go solely for the Vulcan, I love Lt Gransden and have been every year for the last 5 years and will be buying tickets for 2016 as soon as they go on sale.

I'm afraid I find your comments about the organisers dis-courteous in the least and profoundly rude in the most, they have provided an excellent show for 20 years and have always managed to provide a show whatever the weather.
andygolfer

ppgstf

Post by ppgstf »

I'm afraid I find your comments about the organisers dis-courteous in the least and profoundly rude in the most, they have provided an excellent show for 20 years and have always managed to provide a show whatever the weather.

And, you sir, are entitled to your opinion. They were bang out of order saying what they said.

I seem to remember the show being only £10 two years ago, anyone got any justification for the huge price rise in that period of time?

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

ppgstf wrote:I seem to remember the show being only £10 two years ago, anyone got any justification for the huge price rise in that period of time?

the 2010 website quotes £15 adults and £10 for OAPS . This year it was £17 and £13 so not as much as you suggested and not really a huge rise. Still far cheaper than many shows on the circuit and (in my opinion anyway) excellent value for money

here's a link to the 2010 website: http://www.littlegransdenairshow.co.uk/ note that it appears that the change of site name to 'littlegransdenshow.co.uk' happened in 2011 so I cannot find details on line for prices between 2011 and the present although my OAP ticket last year was £13 as I still have an e-copy.
andygolfer

Rivetcounter

Post by Rivetcounter »

andygolfer wrote:I'm afraid I find your comments about the organisers dis-courteous in the least and profoundly rude in the most, they have provided an excellent show for 20 years and have always managed to provide a show whatever the weather.

Well said. I was busy helping so didn't hear said comment but as you may expect the organisers were possibly under more scrutiny than normal given recent circumstances. I found it depressing to see a long line of cars along the B1046 belonging to cheapskates, and hear that very few of them were willing to buy tickets when approached by the landowner :mad:

As for price, it's a bargain and raises a huge amount for charity.

woody

Post by woody »

I agree with RivetCounter. The Vulcan canceled due to weather. There was a break in the flying so the organisers could have a reassessment of the rest of the day. I am glad that a lot of money was raised for charity in particular Children in Need. Well done guys. Try to ignore the petty criticms from some who need to get a life.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

ppgstf wrote:Had massive sympathy for those who paid to see the Vulcan but absolutely none for the organisers. Who do they think they are saying they would suspend the flying display and let everyone know it was because of people standing in fields and public roads. Who made them God?

Are you sure? I was there and the only announcements I heard regarding the suspension stated it was die to the weather.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

andygolfer wrote:

I was there and I am sure they said the break was due to weather. Yes I was disappointed by the Vulcan's non appearance but was fearing that would happen long before the announcement however I did not go solely for the Vulcan, I love Lt Gransden and have been every year for the last 5 years and will be buying tickets for 2016 as soon as they go on sale.

As per my other post, I was there too and the only reason that I heard them give for the break was the weather. They announced this several times. He may be referring to a post a couple of days ago where someone claimed that they would tell the public if flying was suspended due to people in fields etc. Whilst they did issue a statement that flying MAY suspended under certain circumstances, nowhere in that statement did I read that they would inform the public if it was due to people in fields.
Agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

we were at the show and really enjoyed it and have no complaints at all and the only delay was due to rain

I think the comments above refer to an announcement that was posted on their facebook page prior to the show

A reminder to all those planning to watch the show without buying a ticket:
The following statement is from Little Gransden Airshow Organising Committee:
In advance of this weekend's Airshow at Little Gransden, we feel it is important that the following message is posted:
•The organising team takes great care to ensure its air shows are as safe as possible for everyone involved.
• It is not safe to occupy the fields immediately surrounding the airfield, with the exception of accessing of public car parks, during the flying segment of the air show. If you do so you are putting yourself and the display pilots in harm’s way.
• In the event of an incident it is imperative that the emergency services have clear, unhindered access to the tracks across the surrounding land.
•We are aware of various public footpaths and byways in the area however there is no public access to the fields at any time.
We go to great lengths to ensue that any incidents with aircraft leave pilots with as many opportunities as possible to keep aircraft away from the public should an incident occur. Viewing the show from outside of the designated showground area negates this safety measure and in certain circumstances could cause the flying to be cancelled whilst areas are made safe.
Please play safe, buy a ticket and stay within our safety management plan provisions.
Thank You,
The LGAS organising team.

I cant see why anybody would have a problem with that

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

King Cobra wrote:

Are you sure? I was there and the only announcements I heard regarding the suspension stated it was die to the weather.

i spoke to 2 of the marshalls this evening at the Stansted Air Britain meeting and they confirmed that the break was because of the weather.
There were people asking the public to move off of fields etc as per the FB message but the flying was not stopped as a result of that activity.
andygolfer

ppgstf

Post by ppgstf »

Hang on a second.

I never said they actually made an announcement on the day over the tannoy. They threatened to do so on social media in the build up to the show and that's what my beef with them is about.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

ppgstf wrote:Hang on a second.

I never said they actually made an announcement on the day over the tannoy. They threatened to do so on social media in the build up to the show and that's what my beef with them is about.

How can you have a problem with that?

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

woody wrote:Just wanted to say a big thanks to the guys at LG today for a good day out in very trying circumstances. Stayed till the end and although waterlogged still would have not missed. Hope you guys haven't lost heart after all the setbacks this year, totally out of your control. Roll on 2016.

Regards
Steve.

PS love Ken's commentary. (And he does sound like my old headmaster!).

Hi Woody,
Strange in that I find the commentary the least endearing thing -bad jokes and school boy innuendo.
Exam

Look to your left nooowwwwww. Or cameras ready (a split second before a impossible event to photograph if not well prepared takes place).
There is little depth and background to the presentation of the displays.
These points are not a complaint, just shows how different we are in what we prefer.

Having said that he had a difficult task on Sunday and did his best to keep us informed in what must have been a difficult situation.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

The way you worded it read that you were referring to the suspension of flying on the day and has been interpreted as such by others as well as me looking at the responses to your comment.

Not withstanding that the comment was most discourteous to the organisers in the way it was worded.

I don't see that the social media announcement was threatening in the least, they were pointing out the risks of viewing from fields and bearing in mind that following the tragic events a week earlier, air display risk assessments are being looked at very closely before allowing flying to proceed and quite obviously that includes freeloaders viewing from the local fields putting themselves in possible harm's way.
andygolfer

ppgstf

Post by ppgstf »

that includes freeloaders

Pot and Kettle mate. :whistle:

You said I was profoundly rude then you make this comment.

I did look to buy a ticket (admittedly, way too late) and would have been one of the 'freeloaders' you refer to. Had I have got my act together earlier, I would have been one of the paying masses who attended Gransden. For once, my tardiness saved me time, effort and a journey home in soaking wet clothes. :clap:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

ppgstf wrote:
that includes freeloaders

Pot and Kettle mate. :whistle:

You said I was profoundly rude then you make this comment.

I did look to buy a ticket (admittedly, way too late) and would have been one of the 'freeloaders' you refer to. Had I have got my act together earlier, I would have been one of the paying masses who attended Gransden. For once, my tardiness saved me time, effort and a journey home in soaking wet clothes. :clap:

no need to whistle, I can read thanks.

I've looked up the definition of 'freeloader' on various online dictionaries, this one is fairly typical:
A person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.
i don't see using that term as rude, just economic typing (one word instead of 13 or 10 letters instead of 71, and that doesn't include the use of 12 hits on the spacebar).

There was about 4 months to buy tickets so really that isn't a very good excuse, furthermore there were lots of tickets available on the gate (returns from the shops) so a walk to the entrance and you could have easily purchased onre. I even had 2 spare ones that were unused, as it was for charity I offered them back to the people on the gate to re-sell if they could but they had plenty anyway.

Finally I am not your 'mate' just somebody else who frequents the same forum as yourself.
andygolfer

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

the statement said

We are aware of various public footpaths and byways in the area however there is no public access to the fields at any time

I would read into that if you were on a public footpath, byeway or public road then they would have little power to move you on, but stray off the footpaths onto the private fields you will asked to move on, and there were people moved from the field adjacent to the runway shortly after the show started