Classic Air Force Vintage Air Display - Coventry 2 May 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
The Baron

Re: Classic Air Force Vintage Air Display - Coventry 2 May 2

Post by The Baron »

Correct. Due to new CAA rulings (and if you can afford it), jet flights will be a reality. But for now let's just keep this thread to confirmed talk about the show, shall we? :wink:
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

The website has been updated!

Flying Line up (so far?)
Meteor NF11
Vampire T55
Avro Anson
Dove / Devon
Jet Provost T5
Proctor

WR963 and XV232 will run although I understand that these COULD be taxy runs.

Prices for pleasure flights:
Dove / Devon - £80
Prentice - £75
Rapide - £75

And more importantly, ticket prices:
£10 for 1 person with car parking
£22 for 4 people car-sharing

I shall not be flying after all due to saving up for a Tamron 150-600mm. So shall fly later in the year!

Simply click on the airbase gets airborne banner on the CAF website for more details.

Sounds like a great show!

Cameron

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

CameronSys wrote:WR963 and XV232 will run although I understand that these COULD be taxy runs.

Shackleton team have already said it will be a static only run for them! :up:

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

PeterR wrote:
CameronSys wrote:WR963 and XV232 will run although I understand that these COULD be taxy runs.

Shackleton team have already said it will be a static only run for them! :up:

Ah right, surprised at that given that the CAF email newsletter hinted at a possibility of 963 taxying with PAX onboard!

Will be nice to see the Shackleton to run again either way. Especially after getting absolutely soaked last time at the night run!

Cameron

George Aldrich

Post by George Aldrich »

CameronSys wrote:The website has been updated!

Flying Line up (so far?)
Meteor NF11
Vampire T55
Avro Anson
Dove / Devon
Jet Provost T5
Proctor

WR963 and XV232 will run although I understand that these COULD be taxy runs.

Prices for pleasure flights:
Dove / Devon - £80
Prentice - £75
Rapide - £75

And more importantly, ticket prices:
£10 for 1 person with car parking
£22 for 4 people car-sharing

I shall not be flying after all due to saving up for a Tamron 150-600mm. So shall fly later in the year!

Simply click on the airbase gets airborne banner on the CAF website for more details.

Sounds like a great show!

Cameron

It really does, Cameron, and now I know the prices the Dove will hopefully take me up on the day! Nice to see JP5 up as well in the list. So exciting!
Attending this year
CAF Vintage Airshow
Bruntingthorpe CWJ May
RIAT 15/Viewing Village
Cad West

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

I can assure you that as part of the engineering team on WR963, it will NOT be taxying on that day. We are working towards a ground run only, as we have had a lot of winter servicing to complete before we even fire up the engines.....
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

George Aldrich

Post by George Aldrich »

Moving or not, it will be nice to hear once again some growling, and hopefully, screaming of the two best marine aircraft of the RAF! :yahoo:
Attending this year
CAF Vintage Airshow
Bruntingthorpe CWJ May
RIAT 15/Viewing Village
Cad West

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Perfectly happy with a static run. Just wanted to clear up conflicting information from two viable sources.

Thanks
Cameron

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Properly looking forward to this, taking my grandad along to my first show of the year, here's hoping even more gets added!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I was thinking of coming along to this, weather permitting. However, which direction will the crowd be facing for the airshow?

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

People would be slightly into sun. On the north side of RWY 05-23. The display is to start at 1300 according to my sources at which point the back lighting isn't too bad (from my experience as a photographer at the airport every week!).

Even with a little bit of back lighting, wouldn't you rather have a little bit of backlighting rather and a great line up of rare aircraft rather than sitting around at home?! And if you can't bare back lighting, there's always the airport perimeter if you have a big enough lens...

Cameron

RS2

Post by RS2 »

I'm afraid looking at photographers sun position calculators such as Photographers Ephemeris, it would appear that on 2nd May at 11.30 you are looking right at the sun, and it doesn't even come around to parallel with the runway until 15.30. If I can make it, it won't stop me going in and supporting the event, but the flying is going to be a bit backlit for photographers.

George Aldrich

Post by George Aldrich »

CameronSys wrote:People would be slightly into sun. On the north side of RWY 05-23. The display is to start at 1300 according to my sources at which point the back lighting isn't too bad (from my experience as a photographer at the airport every week!).

Even with a little bit of back lighting, wouldn't you rather have a little bit of backlighting rather and a great line up of rare aircraft rather than sitting around at home?! And if you can't bare back lighting, there's always the airport perimeter if you have a big enough lens...

Cameron

Well at least if it does start at 1 pm then if I book the 11am Dove flight I'll still be able to make all the airshow in the afternoon!
And any photo is better than no photo at all! The CAF's flyers are absolutely beautiful and they've never had such a good collection what with the Shack now able to taxy, the Nimrod all running all fours, and now the Dove will be taking me into the skies! So exciting now, hope May comes round really REALLY soon!
George :yahoo: :yahoo:
Attending this year
CAF Vintage Airshow
Bruntingthorpe CWJ May
RIAT 15/Viewing Village
Cad West

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Gates open at 1000 and flying display starts at 1230 according to my ticket.

Cameron

Post by 106500 »

Anyone know if there is a discount for CAF members?

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

I don't believe so. But in my view, £10 is a steal anyway!

Happy to be corrected though but there was no members option when ordering mine (which was the 1st booked! :win: )

Cameron

Glosterbloke

Post by Glosterbloke »

Already booked tickets but does anyone know if people will be able to go outside and come back in again?

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

CameronSys wrote:People would be slightly into sun. On the north side of RWY 05-23. The display is to start at 1300 according to my sources at which point the back lighting isn't too bad (from my experience as a photographer at the airport every week!).

Cameron

How big a lens are we talking? I'd like to go to this but would prefer my photos not backlit... I'd still buy a ticket, mind!

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Looking at 600mm if on the perimeter. Ideally on an SLR with a 1.5x crop sensor. That is for the display action. The problem is that on the other side of the airport, at runway centre is the industrial estate so you would be at the side. A bit like P&V at RIAT, but for the display days...

Cameron

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

Glosterbloke wrote:Already booked tickets but does anyone know if people will be able to go outside and come back in again?

Hi,
I will ask the organisers the question and get back to you.

For anyone who is thinking of visiting either CVT or NQY during the upcoming season,the admission prices have now been announced,just shows what a good deal the admission is for the open day !

Please note that these prices may be changed for special event days
Proceeds from admissions to Classic Air Force are used to support The Classic Aircraft Trust, the registered charity that preserves and restores these irreplaceable historic aircraft. The admission prices below include a small voluntary donation. If you're a UK taxpayer then this small extra allows us to claim Gift Aid from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. That means the Trust receives £12.50 for every £10 you give us. If you prefer not to make this donation then please let us know when you arrive.
Coventry
There's lots of work going on at our Airbase, so it's going to be a month or two before everything's as we want it to be. But there are lots of iconic aircraft to see and explore, and our friendly guides are always ready to take you in close for a hands-on tour.
Adult £8.00
Child (6-15 inc) £5.00
Child up to 5 Free
Senior Citizen £5.00
Military Discount Card Holder £5.00
Family Ticket £18.00
Carer accompanying disabled visitor Free
Newquay
Newquay is where you'll find our static collection, with climb-aboard beauties like the giant VC10 airborne tanker and the BAC 1-11 flying electronic testbed. There are cockpits to sit inside and lots of chances to get within touching distance of historic aeroplanes like the formidable Harrier and Canberra. It's also the home of our giant collection of models, where you'll be amazed how the time flies by.
Adult £5.00
Child (6-15 inc) £3.00
Child up to 5 Free
Senior Citizen £4.00
Military Discount Card Holder £4.00
Family Ticket £12.50
Carer accompanying disabled visitor Free
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

George Aldrich

Post by George Aldrich »

Some more news for those going to the show...(and anytime through the year)
I would suggest, especially if you have Facebook, visit the NPG/XV232 page and ask them about their engine runs... I asked if I could get onboard for an engine run and it reportedly costs £25 to get on and cover fuel, maintenance etc. only a little price to pay for a once-twice or thrice in a lifetime experience!
There could be one on 2nd of may but they run throughout the year
Visit them here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/241865485994252/
Attending this year
CAF Vintage Airshow
Bruntingthorpe CWJ May
RIAT 15/Viewing Village
Cad West

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

Glosterbloke wrote:Already booked tickets but does anyone know if people will be able to go outside and come back in again?

Hi ,I have received an answer to your query and yes,re entry is possible.

'Tickets are being sold already via the website and purchasers are receiving a ticket for the requisite number of people plus a car pass. The tickets can be used for re-entry both on the day and for 12 months afterwards, airshows excepted. People buying at the gate will receive the same, but at a slightly higher price.'
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

Glosterbloke

Post by Glosterbloke »

Thanks for that Alan, first time going there so might want to have a little wander round the south side at some point.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

hmeasures wrote:

Cameron

How big a lens are we talking? I'd like to go to this but would prefer my photos not backlit... I'd still buy a ticket, mind!

The south side road is now gated or was last time I went past, so the south side will be out of bounds.

George Aldrich

Post by George Aldrich »

For anyone who is in the know:
Will Coventry be at-all open before the 2nd of May airshow day? Because I remember the website showing 1st of April to October and I am planning on bringing me and 2 friends with me on a Saturday/Sunday during the April Holidays. :lol: Any help appreciated!
Attending this year
CAF Vintage Airshow
Bruntingthorpe CWJ May
RIAT 15/Viewing Village
Cad West