North Weald "Salute to the Few" - Sunday 12th July 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

North Weald "Salute to the Few" - Sunday 12th July 2015

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

As advertised on the NWA facebook page, the community open day this year is being held in July, same weekend as Legends and Headcorn's BoB event.

North Weald Airfield wrote:Our 2015 Community Day is on Sunday 12 July and will feature a major presence by RAFA including a parade and sunset ceremony, as well as air displays, re-enactors, classic cars and FREE children's rides and bouncy castles.

First confirmed act is the BBMF flying a display with both Spitfire and Hurricane.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Re: North Weald "Salute to the Few" - Sunday 12th July 2015

Post by itfcscott »

Shame on the date of this, already committed to Yeovilton and Legends that weekend and can't imagine it being of a scale to warrant missing either of those anyway. But being relatively local I am ashamed to say I have never been to anything at North Weald and something like this sounds very appealing.

Robin

Post by Robin »

The post has been removed, I seem to have upset The Eagle. He needs to get a life.
Last edited by Robin on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Per Ardua ad Astra

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Robin wrote:...however, we will not have childrens rides or a bouncy castle. :whistle:.

Didn't realise we were playing Top Trumps, but I'd wager that for the £5 entry fee, the airfield full of classic aircraft that'll most likely be in and out all day to support the shows at Headcorn, Duxford and Yeovilton would negate any negatives people fear from the presence of a bouncy castle...

If you want to promote your event, then please feel free to start a thread in this section to do so. I don't see any need for you to denigrate what North Weald are offering.

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

The six acts of the flying line up are now confirmed.

Hunter T7
Gnats x 2 (they will also do a combined pass with the Hunter)
Hangar 11 P51-D Mustang
Yak 50 (Phil Amsell)
XtremeAir XA42 (Gene Willson)
BBMF Hurricane and Spitfire (they will complete the display)

RAFA Marchpast and Sunset Ceremony with the three elements to the parade being led by:

RAF Waddington Band (with RAFA and RBL colours, veterans and contingents from 56 Squadron and the RAF Regiment)
Air Cadets London Wing Band (with Air Cadets Colours and Squadron contingents)
Epping Forest Pipe Band (with re-enactors and other participants)

The aim is to have 75 colours on parade
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Latest news from North Weald's Facebook page ahead of this weekend as follows:

SALUTE TO THE FEW – AIRSHOW UPDATE

The P-51D Mustang is no longer available. This has been replaced by the UH-1 Huey helicopter from Hangar 4A. This machine was captured from the Argentinians in the Falklands.

The XtremeAir XA42 is also replaced with an Augusta A109 helicopter, G-MUZZ. This will perform a unique 2-ship display with the Yak 50. This colourful pair will be a great photo opportunity!

The timing of the Airshow has been brought forward to 2pm, finishing at 3.45pm. The running order is now as follows:

• Augusta 109 and Yak 50 display
  • UH-1 Huey helicopter
  • Hawker Hunter T7, Fox 1
  • Folland Gnats x 2
  • Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane and Spitfire

Other warbird movements to note: the Hangar 11 Hurricane will be returning during the morning, and the Spitfire PRXI departing around mid-day, returning late afternoon. It is also possible that the Seafire will come back from Yeovil in Somerset late afternoon as well.

We are hoping for an additional two Gnats to be on static display along with a Strikemaster. The Vampire T11 will be parked in the RAFA Village.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Forecast look's awful for tomorrow.worth going??
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Well despite some showers, i'm glad i went. A different showground layout this year,but a quality short flying display,and some nice added extra's. Great start to the show with the combined Yak50/Agusta 109 Duo, flown brilliantly by Phil Ansell and Gene Wilson.The Hunter then landed from a display somewhere else Following this was a rare display by the Huey,in the capable hand's of Mark Fitzgerald, lovely sound.After landing Chris Heames took the Hunter back up for a very spirited display,which finished with a nose to the crowd parking spot,very nice!
A lull in proceeding's followed due to the weather,although once the worst had passed over us the Seafire came into the circuit from Yeovil ,and landed close to the crowd-line right in front of us,with John Beattie at the controls.Beautiful aircraft. As he shut down the Spitfire and Hurricane came into display from the BBMF, to perform there usual precise manoeuvres. Last display of the day being the Gnat pair,who flew a tight formation routine, followed by crossovers and a final split to crowd centre. The 2 added extra's for me being Peter Teichman doing a run and break to land after the Airshow,and then 10 minutes later the Vampire T11,which i hadn't expected. All in all a cracking afternoon, roll on Fairford next week.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Flyingstandards

Post by Flyingstandards »

As one of the 18 Royal British Legion Standard Bearers on Parade at North Weald yesterday I would be interested to see any images of the Parade that may include RBL Standards.

I would also be very interested to hear of any 1914 - 1918 or 1939 - 1945 Commemoration or Similar Parades that will be taking place in London or in the home counties this year as it is important that we honour all those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

If you are an RBL Standard Bearer & have been invited to attend a Commemorative Service in Essex, Kent, Middlesex or Surrey please PM me with details (Date, Muster time & Parking facilities if available) and I will circulate them to our group.

Many thanks.. We Will Remember Them

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

I only took a couple of the third parade lament. Hope they are of interest.

Flyingstandards

Post by Flyingstandards »

Exactly what I was looking for tjj , many thanks.

Do you have any objections if I copy them on to the Royal British Legion Greater London Newsletter editor ? They may get published in the RBL Greater London News Letter. :smile:

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

No problem with you using these. There are some more images on the EFDC Flickr site, which you can also use. https://www.flickr.com/photos/eppingforestdc/