Wellesbourne Wings & Wheels 21 June 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Comet102

Wellesbourne Wings & Wheels 21 June 2015

Post by Comet102 »

Sunday 21st June 2015

Gates open 10am - Adults £5, Under 14s free.

Two high speed Avro Vulcan XM655 runs at approx 12:00 & 15:00
Rolls Royce Spitfire PRXIX display at 14:00
Avro Vulcan XH558 short display at 16:45
BBMF flypast - Withdrawn
Static Aircraft
- Auster
- AT-6 Texan
- YAK 52
Pleasure flights
- DH Rapide - Classic Air Force
Demo flights
- Bell 47 - Heli Air
- Robinson R66 - Heli Air
Emergency vehicles display
Military Vehicles
Classic Cars
Motorbikes
Ground Displays

Wings & Wheels 2015 by G Badger, on Flickr
Last edited by Comet102 on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 6:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

hmeasures

Re: Wellesbourne Wings & Wheels 21 June 2015

Post by hmeasures »

I'm tempted to go to this, it's only about an hour away. Looking on trusty old Google maps, I presume they use 36/18 for the fast taxi, with the crowdline on the east side?

Also, are the two taxi runs both at the same time or split a few hours apart...?

If so I think that calls for one inside and one at the 18 end on the road.

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Its my local aviation event, but Ive only managed to go twice over the years. Anyway the routine appears to be similar each year, the two runs a few hours apart, c 11.30-12.00 & 14.30-15.00 if I remember rightly, the first is tamer/slower/less power than the second and is maybe a shakedown run to check all is ok (not sure if they lift the nose on the first run, but they do on the second). The runway used is 18/36 (and both times Ive been the runs have been down 18, not sure if thats always the case). Public enter through the industrial estate area on the eastern side and that is where public area is, north of the cross runway which is used to park the Vulcan on and any other static stuff. You can view from the road at the 18 end, though heat haze is a problem.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Image has since been updated on the site, now showing a BBMF flypast (given the Lancaster troubles) and a full display by the Rolls Royce Spitfire PRXIX.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

I have been to one of these in the past and it was good to see it at least taxi and get a feel for how powerful she is. What is good afterwards is that you were allowed to look around the outside close up , and they opened the bomb flaps I seem to recall.

Has anybody been to any of the Vulcan flypasts at Wellesbourne ? Id love to go to one , but wonder how busy it would be for just a flypast ? Thanks.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

There was a XH558 flypast at the Wings & Wheels in 2009 and it was fairly busy. Since the event is held on the market side there would be plenty of room, on the fence line it's normally 2-4 people deep when the Vulcan is taxing along the majority of the fence line however near the intersection of the 05/23 and 18/36 runways it's normally more packed for the taxi runs. There is normally a fair few cars on the western side in the Heli Air and Take Flight compounds and near the Bravo Taxiway gate.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

As well as the aforementioned events, XH558 will be displaying (according to the website) at Wellesbourne on Sunday, on its way to Weston. Also, a CAF Rapide will be in attendance offering pleasure flights.

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

So is XH588 doing a flypast or a display? I've seen it listed as both. Anyone got any idea what time that'd be?

Either way we're planning on being there from the start, it's not too far from us in Kenilworth.

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

....I'll partially answer my own question. It's described as a Mini Display on the XH558 twitter feed.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Timings from XM655 Facebook Group

Wings and Wheels Update.

The programme of events for Sunday is as follows:

10.00- Gates Open/Static aircraft arrivals
Emergency vehicles parade

12.00 - Vulcan XM655 high speed taxi on main runway
Tractor pull

14.00 - Rolls-Royce Spitfire flying display

15.00 - Vulcan XM655 high speed taxi on main runway
Presentation of classic vehicle prizes
Prize Raffle drawn

16.45 - Vulcan XH558 flying display

Look forward to seeing you all there!!

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Hoping to go tomorrow, though its a shame that the Vulcan flies so late.

Hope weather is better than currently now as its raining and very low cloud. :sad:

Shame the Battle of Britain flypast cancelled.

We have been a couple of years ago and its nice to see the Vulcan taxi, but those not been before dont expect it to be a full Airshow kind of afternoon out.

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

Brilliant day yesterday. The Spitfire was wonderful, and of course the two Vulcan's togther, a fantastic sight.

Superb value for money as well.

RinkyDinky

Post by RinkyDinky »

Wellesbourne was brilliant, I agree. However, I would really love to see Vulcans XH588 & XM655 togther on the same runaway for a photo shoot which would be priceless! A slow taxi down the runway by both Vulcan's would be magical, seeing these sisters together I must say but putting aside for the momemnt the logistics of such a rendezvous, with time ticking away for XH588 flying time remaining in the airframe a trip down to Wellesbourne probably won't happen. These two wonderful Vulcan's really do need to meet up!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

CMS

Post by CMS »

not_the_dj wrote:Brilliant day yesterday. The Spitfire was wonderful, and of course the two Vulcan's togther, a fantastic sight.

Superb value for money as well.

I agree with you, the Spitfire was the best I've seen from a spit, partly because it was so close unlike Fairford, but the sound was incredible. Short Vulcan display but made more impact than other times I've seen it. Really good day out and whole family enjoyed it.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

RinkyDinky wrote:Wellesbourne was brilliant, I agree. However, I would really love to see Vulcans XH588 & XM655 togther on the same runaway for a photo shoot which would be priceless! A slow taxi down the runway by both Vulcan's would be magical, seeing these sisters together I must say but putting aside for the momemnt the logistics of such a rendezvous, with time ticking away for XH588 flying time remaining in the airframe a trip down to Wellesbourne probably won't happen. These two wonderful Vulcan's really do need to meet up!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I may be wrong but I don't think it's possible for a Vulcan to take off once it has landed at Wellesbourne or else much more could be done to rescue XM655 if Wellesbourne does become a housing estate
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Unfortunately we didnt get to see the Spitfire as didnt get there till about 2:40. The Vulcan on the runway was so loud - we were holding our ears at one point . It seemed to be louder than the actual flyover. Loved the car alarms going off as the Vulcan flew over. I did do some recording on my new camera , but maybe not good enough to post on here. But happy to if anybody wants it

The weather was good as well, and we were so lucky it flew over as opposed to Bicester.