New event at Redhill - 14th June

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
pbeardmore

New event at Redhill - 14th June

Post by pbeardmore »

http://www.pilotshub.co.uk/

Sorry if already posted, nice to see something new
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Rocker

Re: New event at Redhill - 14th June

Post by Rocker »

This is a good find! Could be good if I don't manage to get to Biggin Hill, although it might not be easy for me to access.
Rock, rock, rock 'n' roll! The feelin' is there, body and soul!

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Anyone else do this? I couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed, my chief issue being this: 'many classic and vintage aircraft visiting from around the UK'. Six or seven isn't 'many' in my books. Also, the three flying displays were really just one flying display, followed by a second and then a repeat of the first.

Having said that, it was well worth me going just to see the replica of the Red Baron's Fokker DR1, which really was quite remarkable.

dickie

Post by dickie »

Hello Rocker,

Thanks for your comments.

The weather can play havoc with the best laid plans and safety of people and aircraft must have course come first.

Most of the south of England was completely 'socked in' for much of the day through to early afternoon and not even our Display Director could get out of Shoreham in his Extra 300 to be with us initially. Also the commentator was grounded and she had a 2.5 hour drive when the weather didn't lift as quickly as forecast.

Certainly we had very many more aircraft booked in including some coming over from mainland Europe but the weather stopped virtually all of them. It was incredible that the Fokker Triplane made it into us although they had to stop on the way. Earlier in the day a helicopter from the airfield had to land in a field in Banstead with its passengers because the weather had closed in so much.

That same weather kept the Spitfire away until much later in the day (in fact it should have been with us the evening before the Festival and on static display all day, then closing the show with a display at 4pm).

The event was billed as having 3 Airshow acts and that is what we delivered despite the atrocious weather. The Tiger Club Turbulent Team didn't make it to us from their base at Stow Maries, again due to weather, but fortunately our Flight Display Director had ensured that we had maximum flexibility within our CAA display permission so that we could be flexible on the day, So, he did a flat display earlier in the afternoon when the cloud was still quite low, then the Spitfire did its display and landed on for static display, then our FDD filled the 3rd available display slot with a stunning vertical freestyle display, therefore not wasting the slot that was reserved for The Turbulent Team.

As the organisers we did everything in our power, and within the limitations of the CAA Display Permission and sensible judgements on safety, to make the best of a bad weather day, get whatever aircraft we could flying, and deliver 3 air displays as billed.

Hopefully now that you understand a little more of the background you can appreciate the difficulties we had to overcome on the day due to weather in order to deliver the best possible experience, in the circumstances, for our guests.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed seeing the Fokker Triplane and we appreciate your support for this event which in turn is supporting the Kent Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance, based on the airfield.

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Thanks for your response, I can understand how the weather caused problems. If you hold it again next year I can only wish you good luck and good weather!