Flywheel Festival - Bicester

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
K213

Flywheel Festival - Bicester

Post by K213 »

Not seen a thread for this event and wondered if anyone attended yesterday and had any feedback, or was going along today and had any expectations on the event.

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Re: Flywheel Festival - Bicester

Post by tommercer »

I went yesterday and although the weather had a massive impact on the show (and attendance), it's an event that has massive potential. I'll be putting together a full review in the next week or so.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Yes indeed, must echo Toms reply there.The venue has got great potential. I went Saturday but was so disappointed at not seeing the Blenheim on the ground I went back today and was rewarded with a much better event. OK I've seen it fly a couple of times already this year but I particularly wanted to see it 'on home ground' as it were knowing that one hadn't operated from Bicester for 75 years.
Lovely to see the presentation/dedication and ground run of the Bristol Scout too, great stuff.!
The event was certainly aimed at the vintage racing car enthusiast with some aviation and MVs thrown in for good measure.
Not many stalls and the ones that were there were again aimed at the enthusiast....ie no tat! Although thinking about it I did spot a few memorabilia ones in the small marquee....But, tat and bouncy castles do bring in the rest of the family as we well know and more punters means more money :heyhey: ... ( usual catch 22 situation again) If they're tempted to introduce that sort of thing, tuck it round the side of the hangers maybe.?
Nice line up vintage aircraft too some of which I 'd not seen before, particularly fond of the Scillonian Airways Dominie and the Morane Saulnier MS-317 (G-MOSA).
I know H&S will rear its ugly head but given the provenance of the airfield and considering most of it is 'listed' it'd be nice to be able walk around the building/hangers? I managed to walk around the gliding one yesterday but today it was bolted shut.....
Anyway from my point of view well done to the organisers for their first event. I shall almost certainly go back next year and may even take the Jeep....?
I know it wasn't actually listed in the programme but was announced last week, what happened to the Vulcan? I was too far away from the speakers when the final verdict came through?
...Rad shutters auto.

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Apparently they were stuck on the ground for longer than they should have been and burnt more fuel than they should have. It was decided that the Bicester flypast would be scrubbed from their route I believe.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Thanks Tom, shame. There were still a lot of people on the flightline :sad:
...Rad shutters auto.

K213

Post by K213 »

I did end up going yesterday and had an enjoyable day.

Was able to spend most of it on the flight line and had a great view of the Blenheim and Spitfire. I agree the event has great potential - one rather annoying factor was the media intrusion around the aircraft (ie Blenheim); having got their photos they seemed to like just hanging around the aircraft for a disproportionate amount of time just "rubber necking".

I would consider going next year, although it was a shame about the Vulcan.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Yes indeed, a few people around me were complaining too. It seemed to be even worse than Duxford.
But, mind you the blue tabards were slightly less obtrusive than the Duxford yellow hi viz ones.....Unfortunately I think knew a couple of them and I know for a fact they had nothing to do with the press. Still got some good shots anyway though but annoying all the same. Again, like Duxford I bet we don't see many published anywhere :heyhey:
...Rad shutters auto.

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Those with a media pass were quite strictly informed not to get in other people's way and also to be no further than 2m from the crowd line at any time. Clearly some completely ignored this and as a result annoyed paying visitors.

redmorgan

Post by redmorgan »

I happen to be one of the media people you are referring to and agree with most of the observations made.

Believe it or not, but after the initial 'lets get the images' period had passed, I tried to move the media chaps away from the aircraft so that a paying member of the public with a rather nice Canon camera and lens mounted on tripod could take his picture of the Blenheim. He only wanted thirty seconds of uninterrupted view but they were very slow in moving and one of them left a camera bag parked in front of the aircraft to add to the frustration. If you are the person and post on this forum, then I hope you got your picture in the end.

Not all of the media people were selfish, but I do know exactly where you are coming from and feel a tad embarrassed, especially as the organisers had asked us to be mindful of the public on the crowd line wanting to take images.

There was only one person who I couldn't work out what he was supposed doing - all the rest were working for magazines or in an official capacity.

Richard

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

What a very open post Richard and very thoughtful of you to explain. And no, although I have Canon it wasn't me with the tripod. Roll on next year anyway..... :smile:
...Rad shutters auto.