Abingdon 2016 - 1st May 2016

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
boff180
UKAR Staff

Abingdon 2016 - 1st May 2016

Post by boff180 »

Thought I'd start the thread.

I've just seen Neil Porters post on Facebook with some info.

The 2016 airshow is potentially going to be a smaller flying event from 2015, with acts reduced to around 12 from 16/17 to save money. Hopefully relying on an increased GA fly-in element.

The bad weather did not do them any good last year and have made a reduced the charitable donation of £6,707.96 in order to survive due to lower crowd numbers.

The biggest on going costs being the hiring of the airfield which the MoD are charging a whopping £11,000 (which in my opinion is excessive) for the use of the airfield and £6,600 for insurance which aren't helping matters.

I for one will be there supporting an excellent airshow which has been a staple starter to our season for a number of years now. I hope as many of our members as possible also attend to assist them in surviving.

Andy

K213

Re: Abingdon 2016 - 1st May 2016

Post by K213 »

It would be a great shame to see Abingdon disappear - one thing to also bear in mind is that for the last two years (at least) an night shoot has been organised for the evening before the main display day. The funds raised from this also go to the charities supported by the event.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Thanks Andy for the kind words - we will try our best as ever to produce a good show
Cheers
Neil

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

The date's in the diary. Big or small, rain or shine we'll be there next year.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Definitely be there, still one of the most enjoyable experiences of the airshow scene... :D

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Had a great time this year, would be delighted to return in 2016
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Gents,

Another note from Neil on the Abingdon Facebook group, this time needing YOUR input.

For a few years now, Abingdon has been £12 in advance and £15 on the day. With finances now being a little tight, would you be willing to pay an increased ticket price and if so, how much?

Over to you....

Personally I'd pay £15 advanced, £20 on the gate. however I understand that's a 1/3 increase or more. So in order to assist families I would suggest a £2 increase to £14/£17 would be more than reasonable considering how long the price has been fixed.

To help Neil please post your views!

Andy

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver »

First I have to say I was there this year at Abingdon and was very impressed with what was actually there despite the weather. I also attended in 2011. I would gladly pay £15 in advance or £20 on the day. It's a great airshow with a nice atmosphere and I for one hope it continues regardless of price.

Todd

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I will be there next year and would be happy to pay £15 advance or £20 on the gate for what is not just an air show, but an enjoyable day out overall.

Yes, I do also take time to look at the stalls, the arena and the ground displays, not just the aircraft.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

K213

Post by K213 »

I would agree that £15 advance and £20 on the gate are acceptable prices for entry.

Would be sad to see this event unable to continue due to lack of finance.

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

Of the 12 acts planned, I hope some of them actually arrive.
This years aircraft attendance was dreadful and all down to the weather which of course is unfortunate and nobodys fault.
But imagine that 50% went tech on the day out of just 12 planned acts, that would leave me with considerably less photos to edit :grin:
Although if the planned content of the 12 includes pitts specials, microlights and parachute acts I may just give it a miss and spend my cash elsewhere, I am sure I am not alone with that one?
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It must be very hard to raise money for charity when you know you are minus £11,000 from day one. I wonder if the whole team (with their contacts and experience) have considered an alternative venue. Is there anything about the venue that that has a USP compared to alternatives?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Guys - just to put you in the picture - the £11,000 airfield hire fee we pay is not for the whole airfield either....... as we use the whole of the western side plus runways tho i think in fairness we could use more for that price but i cant because of the display lines etc etc.

Alternative venues have been talked about in the past yes but its spiritual home is Abingdon and the whole reason for doing the show there is because of my upbringing / passion to restage a show there, gives the community of Abingdon something back and for a wider audience to enjoy. I have looked at former Upper Heyford (as i worked there in recent times before re-moving back near the coast) and although it maybe possible with abit of pushing to the management to whom i know, its the local surroundings that would moan hellishly. I got an RAF Merlin (a mate on 28sqn at the time) to come and use the airfield their once and one evenings hovering around the old HAS areas created uproar! The reason - because its been almost dormant for a number of years now apart from odd occasions. Abingdon on the other hand since the RAF pulled in late 92 has been utilised weekly for military helicopter training from Benson as its satellite as & when training dictates plus other Military helo's (soon Chinook training abit from October this year) / military motorgliding (soon to restart again) and other involvement so its much easier to do the show here as people are used to the noise aspects. We are very lucky in that we get hardly or no complaints - even from the likes of Vulcan or F16 which we have had only a couple of people moaned - probably because they spilt their tea as it went over!!

Dont worry too much, i plan to have a mix within the 12 items plus on top of that a Parachute team and any flypasts from ie: Brize aswell so in the end it will probably end up close to what we normally have. I am also pushing for more aircraft on the deck pre show which is always my aim, so if its like this year ie: wet / dry and not much pitches up, at least there is more to see..but depends on the owners.

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

That's reassuring, thanks.
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

It would be a great shame for another show to fall victim to financial viability. Personally I look towards the quality of a show rather than the number of acts. I would rather have 12 great acts than 16/17 mediocre ones, so as long as the line up is strong (and I am generally easy to please on this front) then the number of acts performing would not influence my decision to attend.

I think the £15 entrance fee this year was very fair for the show which they had planned, sadly as we know mother nature wasn't on their side for the day which clearly impacted participant levels both for flying and static - real shame but its the nature of the beast when it comes to airshows and the weather. I agree with others that so long as the show has a good line up, then paying a little more is no problem at all.

What would be handy from a non-drivers perspective is a shuttle bus to a main train station - something like Didcot. I like most who don't drive rely on such services. I would imagine that a buss company would willingly operate such a route if they were to keep the fayre charged, maybe making just a small % donation to the charitable causes supported by the event.
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

FremlinsMan

Post by FremlinsMan »

Gareth V wrote:

What would be handy from a non-drivers perspective is a shuttle bus to a main train station - something like Didcot. I like most who don't drive rely on such services. I would imagine that a buss company would willingly operate such a route if they were to keep the fayre charged, maybe making just a small % donation to the charitable causes supported by the event.

I'm a local, and a non-driver. There's a good bus service from Oxford to Dalton Barracks (the army name for the airfield). Details are Oxford Bus Company, service 4 from Frideswide (!) Square (outside Oxford Train Station), ask the driver for Barrow Road. Then it's a short 15 minute walk to the airfield. Otherwise, from Didcot, it's a bus to Abingdon and the service 4 towards Oxford, Barrow Road again.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Just a quick note: We are looking into a shuttle bus from the Town centre to the airfield - things have to be worked out as yet but thats in the pipeline so this may happen.

Dalton Barracks is the technical site - Abingdon Airfield is Abingdon Airfield (although named Dalton Barracks)... the inner wire segregates the two ;)

I should be in the position to announce the first participants both air and ground related during September when we at the same time have a slight revision of the website & promo film released to get the ball rolling for 2016 - and yes two display acts out of the few i will announce will be new! :)

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

FremlinsMan wrote:
Gareth V wrote:

I'm a local, and a non-driver. There's a good bus service from Oxford to Dalton Barracks (the army name for the airfield). Details are Oxford Bus Company, service 4 from Frideswide (!) Square (outside Oxford Train Station), ask the driver for Barrow Road. Then it's a short 15 minute walk to the airfield. Otherwise, from Didcot, it's a bus to Abingdon and the service 4 towards Oxford, Barrow Road again.

Thanks for the info, will make things much easier for me in 2016 :)
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

stingrays4

Post by stingrays4 »

Hi already looking forward to this show,as I live in Newbury just down the A34 its a great start to the airshow season and always attend as often as possible, um actually haven't missed any as yet :lol: Plus used to love the battle of Britain Airshows that used to be held here! didn't actually get in at the last show thanks to traffic! Watched the big flypast sat on the bank side of the A34 :wink:
As for the price increase,think I'd be happy enough to pay that especially as its a local show and would be badly missed! {By me anyhow}
Any chance of getting the blades their? Think they'd be an awesome act at the show :smile:

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

I have been mulling this over, and by no means do I mean any of the following negatively, just in case it comes across that way.

Like many enthusiasts, I do several shows a year. The issue in recent years is that so many shows have lost their identity and many have become a carbon copy of one another. What excites me is when you get a show that is a little bit different. An example off the top of my head would be Jersey - yes there are some acts which you'll see anywhere and everywhere, but many that you won't.

So from my perspective it isn't so much about the number of participants. it is a line up which gives the show individuality. So for me 12 diverse and interesting acts would trump a line up of 18 samey acts which will be at every other airshow. This said, I realise that there needs to be some core acts which are a familiar site on the circuit in order to attract people in, but a few acts which aren't commonly seen would be superb. Quality not quantity I guess!

Please please please don't think I am being critical, I hope this comes across as constructive. I realise the organisers have a tough job balancing finances with the difficult job of organising participants etc and I commend you for such efforts.

D1Scafellpike

Post by D1Scafellpike »

Totally agree with Gareth V.

Whilst my preference for aircraft lies with modern military, overall this has been one of my preferred events for a few years.

My usual suggestion for something different if available - a Nanchang CJ-6A or two !!

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Ok - i have decided on that the 2016 show will hopefully see more Helicopters static, with a theme (being biased of course as i part of the Gazelle Squadron Display Team) of a small gathering of Gazelles - numbering between 6 - 15 examples all being well! :)

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Excellent, a couple of Mi-26s wouldn't go amiss I'm sure, and if you could maybe get a Japanese Merlin too? :tongue: :tongue:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

First details for 2016 (1 May) - Hello, well here we go to get the ball rolling for next years show - the next update will be in early 2016:

Ground:
World War Two Re-enactors
Exhibits including Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
Classic / Vintage Vehicles / Motorbikes
Crafts Marquee
Live Music in the Music tent
Falconry Demonstration
Various Trade Stalls
2 Flight Simulators

Static Aircraft: (Over 60 types expected to include):
Rockwell OV-10 Bronco
Shorts Skyvan
Yakolev Yak52
Auster AOP6
Westland Gazelles (a mini meet of up to 15 examples hoped for)

Flying Display Aircraft:
Calidus Autogyro (Peter Davies)
Spitfire & P51 Mustang (Ferocious Frankie) pairs display (Alister Kay +1)
Pitts Special (Lauren Richardson)
DeHavilland Sea Vixen (Fly Navy Historic Trust)
The Renegades Parachute Display Team

We are truly honoured to have with us the early confirmed appearance of the worlds only flying DeHavilland Sea Vixen, a 1950s Royal Naval fighter jet which is lovingly cared for at RNAS Yeovilton under the Fly Navy Heritage Trust. We also are excited to have the Spitfire / Mustang pairs display which i can guarantee will be breathtaking and to welcome back Peter Davies in the fantastic Autogyro, Lauren Richardson in the Pitts Special as she never got the opportunity to fly in the 2015 display and The Renegades Parachute Display Team whom Vance Allen is the airfield warden / team leader.The Flying Display will now be back up to a potential 18 displays rather than the 12 i thought firstly.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

SEA VIXEN!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Thank you Neil and team, that is how to begin participation for an airshow- brilliant work and great to see it will be back up to 18 acts!
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey