Leeds East (ex RAF Church Fenton) air show

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
steveygr

Re: Leeds East (ex RAF Church Fenton) air show

Post by steveygr »

Thanks davski & fs9demon. So if I understand correctly, the the crowd will be on the hangers/hardstanding (west side) of RW 16/34 side looking generally NE (240deg)? if so should be good. Fingers crossed for good weather.

davski

Post by davski »

The crowd line stretches along the length of the runway to just beyond the Control tower then back to hangar 3, I believe 06/24 will be available for take-off and landing.

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

The Gnat's have confirmed their appearance on their Facebook page, plus they hint at a surprise!

In addition it appears the Classic Air Force will be bringing their Meteor NF.11 and Venom, arriving somepoint Friday. The lovely Anson should also be in attendance

fs9demon

Post by fs9demon »

be interesting to watch then been on a different display line......used to love as kid watching JP's come in to land on 34 from the road on my push bike :)
Formally UKVoodoo (FS9 video wizz)

Spring Chicken to S***ehawk in 1 easy lesson
Daga Daga Daga Daga Daga

yunglee

Post by yunglee »

Is there any information on how far away the parking will be? Just trying to decide what to take and whether we might be able to get back to the car after getting in...Lee

wellsie82@gmail.com

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

Does anyone know anything about flying times yet?

Times must be known by organisers & participants - has it been shared?

greeny

Post by greeny »

wellsie82@gmail.com wrote:Does anyone know anything about flying times yet?

Times must be known by organisers & participants - has it been shared?

I've been asking the question to organisers etc but no one is responding!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Flying starts at 12:30pm and ends about 5pm; that's all you need to know - not many ticketed airshows will release their display timings prior to the event as they only lead to disappointment due to the inevitable changes. Just turn up and enjoy yourself!

greeny

Post by greeny »

WG655 wrote:Flying starts at 12:30pm and ends about 5pm; that's all you need to know - not many ticketed airshows will release their display timings prior to the event as they only lead to disappointment due to the inevitable changes. Just turn up and enjoy yourself!

I agree about timings but they should keep us up to date with withdrawals/additions!

Anyway, thought you wasn't going. 're - previous post, due to poor communications from the organisers!!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Not going personally but I'm still sure those who do will have an enjoyable day out. The participation list posted above is certainly more up-to-date and concise. I can give you one display timing I've seen online seeing as you ask so nicely - Team Raven on at 1257.

greeny

Post by greeny »

WG655 wrote:Not going personally but I'm still sure those who do will have an enjoyable day out. The participation list posted above is certainly more up-to-date and concise. I can give you one display timing I've seen online seeing as you ask so nicely - Team Raven on at 1257.

Thanks for that but I have only asked the organisers, nowhere else!

It does sort of prove a point though. Until you mentioned them, I haven't seen team Raven listed anywhere else which shows that the official website page is completely out of date. This isn't good as its the place where the majority of jo public will look!

greeny

Post by greeny »

By the way, does anyone know if Frankie has got his Mustang back in the air after cancelling both day's at Southport?

JJC

Post by JJC »

I emailed the organisers on Tuesday regarding participation, and got this reply:

In the air we have the following.

Jump4Heroes
Team Raven
Mustang P51D
Mig-15
Venom FB1
Dakota C-47
Spitfire Mk XI
Huey & Loach
Wildcat Aerobatics
Curtiss P-40F Warhawk
Spitfire Mk V
Bucker Jungmann
Gloster Meteor T7
Avro Anson T21
Jet Provost 3
Yakovlev Yak-18A
Global Stars
Gnats Display Team
Hurricane Mk XII
Spitfire Mk Vb
Avro Vulcan
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

greeny

Post by greeny »

Cheers, hope it all works out for the organisers.

Gnats are saying a big surprise after their display!

Formation with XH558??

razor01

Post by razor01 »

Anyone know what frequency will be used for the airshow?

thanks in advance

p

fs9demon

Post by fs9demon »

Live just down the road and had a lot of the arrivals calling up on 126.5 which I believe is the old Church Fenton MATZ frequency....as for tomorrow I wouldn't be so sure
Formally UKVoodoo (FS9 video wizz)

Spring Chicken to S***ehawk in 1 easy lesson
Daga Daga Daga Daga Daga

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Does anyone know what time the gates open?
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Craig

Post by Craig »

Well just got home. Flying programme was very good with some really well flown routines. The planning and organisational side has sadly been utterly shambolic however from just about every angle.

Dr_Q

Post by Dr_Q »

Flying was great. Traffic woeful getting out. Vulcan and Gnat display good ending with missing man.

In programme they highlight a B1-Lancer for next years show!!!!!!!!!

RIAT (Mach 2)
Wings over Houston

er, that's about it this year I reckon.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Programme was pretty good, the traffic management was beyond shambolic. After chilling for 90 minutes post show in the late sunshine, I set off for my car which was to the extreme left of the display line to find hardly anyone had left. One chap had moved fifteen feet in that 90 minutes. I eventually got through the gates just after 8pm - 3hrs after the finish - got to the first major road half an hour later. A quick chat on the way out illustrated that on the field the traffic management group were nowhere - one guy I spoke to was apparently a cook who had been pressed into service - I did see them outside though and they seemed more concerned about packing their signs up than help.

Just two exits - the main gate and a crash gate - onto the same minor road is inadequate and much planning is needed for next year.

By the way, I see that next year's dates are "Waddington Weekend" is this a sign of the death of Bomber County's air show?
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Craig wrote:Well just got home. Flying programme was very good with some really well flown routines. The planning and organisational side has sadly been utterly shambolic however from just about every angle.

Crikey where do you live? Ulleskelff? People were still in the carparks when I got onto the road at 8pm.

Craig

Post by Craig »

mavvymoo wrote:
Craig wrote:Well just got home. Flying programme was very good with some really well flown routines. The planning and organisational side has sadly been utterly shambolic however from just about every angle.

Crikey where do you live? Ulleskelff? People were still in the carparks when I got onto the road at 8pm.

Worryingly that doesn't surprise me. Was really poor.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Craig wrote:
mavvymoo wrote:

Worryingly that doesn't surprise me. Was really poor.

I can see they went for a modest beginning, they must have been gobsmacked at the numbers that turned up, but they really need to have access sorted for next year as similar problems - without the attraction of the Vulcan - will see people staying away and just holding out for a week and going to Fairford instead.

However, on the plus side, an interesting programme that in contrast wasn't flown a great distance from the crowdline made for a great afternoon.

Dr_Q

Post by Dr_Q »

Both the Historic Flight (Meteor and Vampire) and the Mig got warned by the tower for excessive turns or too close to crowd.
Thought the Dakota and Frankie were wonderfully low.

RIAT (Mach 2)
Wings over Houston

er, that's about it this year I reckon.

yunglee

Post by yunglee »

We parked in the car park to the right of the crowd line (arrived at ~9:30am). When the Vulcan finished the announcer mentioned traffic problems! So we had a slow walk back and started to drive at about 17:30. It only took us 20 minutes to leave the site and the journey home that should normally take 40 minutes took an hour.

Sorry to here of the problems others have had.

I thought the show was great and here's a few things I picked up on:

The PA system cut out every now and again
The flight line was fantastic as we were facing north (pretty much)
The low passes (especially with wing tips dipped) from the left were very good. I think the aircrew could take a loop and re-enter the site for great top side shots
There were some pauses in the flying and a lack of commentary sometimes it was a little fragmented
The programme didn't have a flying timetable which would have been nice
The fair ground rides were close to the crowd line on the far left, I wasn't there but I think if I was the noise from them would have been annoying. I think they need to be further away.
There wasn't many stalls and vendors (although the bacon baps we had were great!)

Overall I and my son had a great day. I think we were lucky to have ended up in a good car park and will definitely be going back next year.

Lee.