'major' airshow at North weald in 2017???

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
farnboroughrob

'major' airshow at North weald in 2017???

Post by farnboroughrob »

Looks like something 'big' could be back at NW in the future? http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1 ... rth_Weald/
Of course this would have to be on the market side due to access.
Rob

MRTT

Re: 'major' airshow at North weald in 2017???

Post by MRTT »

That sounds interesting, could potentially be a very good event! :clap:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Could be interesting, but not sure how they would fare with a display line that might take them over the M11 though.

There is also the fence line along the east side of the runway that I think would have been a hinderance when it was looked at before.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Not a problem now, it's been scaled-back for 2016 to a Fayre with possible 'aviation content'. Maybe RC Models & a Kite Festival perhaps?
Just remember, the fall-out from Shoreham will have a minimal impact on Air-shows in 2016....my buttocks!!
With the M11 being a factor for here & Duxford, they've bought themselves an extra year to see how the new display limitations pan-out before making the financial commitment. For a plethora of reasons I can't see it "getting off the Ground". :whistle:
Last edited by Wissam24 on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule 5

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

FGR2 wrote:Could be interesting, but not sure how they would fare with a display line that might take them over the M11 though.

Plus there's the close proximity to Stansted which may be a hindrance.
I'd absolutely love to see an aviation event return to North Weald - even if it wasn't a full blown show and just something to the scale of the Norwegian Wings over North Weald events they've hosted previously.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Oh! Please Santa do make it like Fighter Meet!!!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I actually miss the old low key events like the Fly-Past fly-ins and the GA shows. These were on the live side and gave you good access to the hangars and the interesting residents. There were also a good mixture of aircraft and a lack of barriers. Shame they can not do some sort of photos day when everything comes out of the hangars, mind you they would probably charge £50 for it!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

farnboroughrob wrote:I actually miss the old low key events like the Fly-Past fly-ins and the GA shows. These were on the live side and gave you good access to the hangars and the interesting residents. There were also a good mixture of aircraft and a lack of barriers. Shame they can not do some sort of photos day when everything comes out of the hangars, mind you they would probably charge £50 for it!

They still host them. There are several events throughout the summer at North Weald - the AirBritain/Flypast fly-ins still happen I believe, plus there's smaller events like the "Wings and Wheels" fly-in.

You can see many of the based aircraft active on weekends throughout the summer months too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

TKK 140 wrote:Oh! Please Santa do make it like Fighter Meet!!!

+1

Would be awesome for an airshow like Fighter Meet to return to North Weald airfield - one of the first airshows I attended!

Some clips from youtube from Fighter Meet 1992:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KZfZ3-JLw

I think the Fighter Meet 1994 airshow was also selected as the RAFs official D-Day anniversary airshow and had decent foreign military involvement ( F16, Mirage 2000, French jaguar Pair, USAF F15 flyby, Dutch F27 ), North Weald is also the original home to the Air Tattoo!

Will be interesting to see what happens...

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Thanks for posting the video link, it brings the memories flooding back. Always a favourite show at the time.