Shoreham air show 2016

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
lambo17841

Shoreham air show 2016

Post by lambo17841 »

No mention yet on the listings.Anybody know if it will take place in 2016 following the events this year?

John in Seaford

timuss

Re: Shoreham air show 2016

Post by timuss »

lambo17841 wrote:No mention yet on the listings.Anybody know if it will take place in 2016 following the events this year?

John in Seaford

I'd be very surprised if it happens next year, maybe once the report has been finalised both the AAIB and the CAA's review, it could change but i doubt we will see a show next year at all.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Now confirmed, no show in 2016 primarily out of respect to those that lost their lives on the A27.

It is hoped to bring back the show in 2017 but that will be subject to the results of the crash investigation and whatever new rules the CAA impose following their review.

Andy

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

The be honest I am surprised they haven't given up all tougher. One thing is for sure future shows there will be very different to previous ones, especially when it comes to watching from outside.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Understandable but the watching of shows outside the venues can never be stopped.
Been discussed already I know on other areas of UKAR but it is impossible to have a blanket ban of people watching outside.
Will be interesting to see what the report on the crash and the restrictions that will come in for this years shows.

John in Seaford

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Damn shame to hear it's cancelled, the show raises a lot of money for charity and good causes.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah it was inevitable for this year they couldn't do it in my opinion, given the investigation is still ongoing and the CAA review etc... Here's hoping it returns in someway next year.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

With the Hurricane crash a few years ago, and the Hunter last year, I could not see the show ever returning.

Having flown from Shoreham on a pleasure flight at the end of last summer, you get an idea of how packed in, bordered by the town of Shoreham and Lancing on each side, the college on the hill, and the main road and railway line bordering each end of the runway, the airfield is.

Even if it were determined that it could be run safely, would the local communities want such an event to take place again, especially as so many unrelated members of the public passing by, lost their lives.

DanH

Post by DanH »

I hope it is able to return in some form in the future. I was discussing this with relatives a few months and we were wondering if it might be feasible to move the show to somewhere like Worthing seafront if the airport was no longer deemed to be a safe site to host the event. It would be a terrible loss for both the local community and the charities the show benefits for it to be lost completely.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

DanH wrote:I hope it is able to return in some form in the future. I was discussing this with relatives a few months and we were wondering if it might be feasible to move the show to somewhere like Worthing seafront if the airport was no longer deemed to be a safe site to host the event. It would be a terrible loss for both the local community and the charities the show benefits for it to be lost completely.

It's as safe as many airfields when it comes to freak combinations of events happening. Any air display in the UK a could come a cropper from a combination of events coming together. We used to call these things accidents and there always will be accidents but we just aren't allowed to consider them as such anymore.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

tankbuster wrote:
DanH wrote:I hope it is able to return in some form in the future. I was discussing this with relatives a few months and we were wondering if it might be feasible to move the show to somewhere like Worthing seafront if the airport was no longer deemed to be a safe site to host the event. It would be a terrible loss for both the local community and the charities the show benefits for it to be lost completely.

It's as safe as many airfields when it comes to freak combinations of events happening. Any air display in the UK a could come a cropper from a combination of events coming together. We used to call these things accidents and there always will be accidents but we just aren't allowed to consider them as such anymore.

No, because accidents suggest there is someone to blame, hence the reason RTAs and now RTCs :wall:

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Wes_Howes wrote:
tankbuster wrote:

No, because accidents suggest there is someone to blame, hence the reason RTAs and now RTCs :wall:

sorry not up to speed with jargon, what is an RTC?
Trevor C

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

An "RTC" is a road traffic collision. Tbh, although the change from rta to rtc smacks of pedantry, I agree with the change. Saying it was an accident implies that something that no one could have had any control over (such as a lightning strike starting a fire) happened. But in an rta/ rtc it only happened because someone got something wrong and caused the situation. For example - the car didn't run into the car in front 'by accident' it did so because the driver was following too closely/ not paying attention etc.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Road Traffic Collision. :cool: Odd to see the rhetoric no, (because) accidents suggest there is someone to blame on here, given the lengths that many have gone to ensure that pilot error has not been implicated in the Shoreham crash. You can't have it both ways, by firstly insinuating that those responsible for accidents are shielded from personal responsibility (recent Scottish news indicates otherwise, anyway) and then try and suggest Shoreham was the result of anything other than pilot error because he wuz our mate. :whistle:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Shhh Alanko - we're not allowed to discuss things like that on this forum - Andy's ban hammer will come out! :hide:

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

speedbird2639 wrote:An "RTC" is a road traffic collision. Tbh, although the change from rta to rtc smacks of pedantry, I agree with the change. Saying it was an accident implies that something that no one could have had any control over (such as a lightning strike starting a fire) happened. But in an rta/ rtc it only happened because someone got something wrong and caused the situation. For example - the car didn't run into the car in front 'by accident' it did so because the driver was following too closely/ not paying attention etc.

Isn't just about every accident avoidable? There is a risk that my house may be hit by lightning today and I could mitigate for that by placing lightning attractors in places where they will ensure that my house doesn't get the strike. We could avoid dying in a plane crash by not flying in a plane or dying in a motorway crash by not traveling on a motorway.
Trevor C

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Not surprising news, alas, but a shame nonetheless. My visit to the 2014 event was one of the most thoroughly enjoyable air show experiences I've had.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

DanH

Post by DanH »

Alanko wrote:Road Traffic Collision. :cool: Odd to see the rhetoric no, (because) accidents suggest there is someone to blame on here, given the lengths that many have gone to ensure that pilot error has not been implicated in the Shoreham crash. You can't have it both ways, by firstly insinuating that those responsible for accidents are shielded from personal responsibility (recent Scottish news indicates otherwise, anyway) and then try and suggest Shoreham was the result of anything other than pilot error because he wuz our mate. :whistle:

Actually the reason people on here aren't blaming Andy Hill is because at the moment we don't know what caused the crash. Pilot error is just one of a number of possible causes, and unless it is proven that that is what resulted in the crash and the deaths of 11 people it would be incredibly unfair to make uninformed accusations that could be upsetting and misleading to those affected by this tragedy.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/