Throckmorton Airshow 2016

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Chris G

Re: Throckmorton Airshow 2016

Post by Chris G »

Just been cancelled, CAA strike again. Gutted for the organisers, this year is turning into a nightmare :-(

Comet102

Re: Throckmorton Airshow 2016 - Cancelled

Post by Comet102 »

With great sadness and regret the Throckmorton Air Show organisers announce that they are having to cancel this year’s Throckmorton Air Show, due to increased insurance costs and new requirements that the Civil Aviation Authority have put in place on both organisers and pilots. Despite the organisers submitting their initial application for a display approval to the CAA back in January of 2016, prior to the controversial ‘increase in charges’, permission was not forthcoming and has only been received today. The organisers had initially considered cancelling the event in April due to the delays caused by the CAA not being able to make decisions and the goalpost being constantly changed over the new regulations, however as the show was intended to raise money for charity the organisers who are both volunteers decided to continue and persevered with planning.

With only a few days to go before the show, the liability and responsibilities placed on the FDD (Flying Display Director) & FCC (Flying Control Committee) as well as the event organisers personally, has resulted in substantial cost increases. As the show is held in aid of chosen charities, RAF Benevolent Fund and Midlands Air Ambulance, the organisers were left with no choice but to cancel the 2016 Throckmorton Air Show. The risk of not being financially viable to cover costs and donate monies to their two selected charities, has been a leading element in the decision.

That said, some display Pilots and teams are also struggling to get CAA approval under the new regulations and also have increased costs with their own insurances and documentation to display, leaving it too tight to get confirmation to our Flying Display Director in time for Saturday’s event; safety is paramount to us and we must abide by the regulations as we have done in the previous eight years.

Event Organiser, Samantha Jones, says, 'We would like to thank everyone who has supported us and helped towards the organisation of this year’s show, right up to and including the discussions held in making this forced decision. We are truly gutted and have put our heart and soul into organising this but sadly everything feels against us and we can’t afford to take on the financial risks. Our insurance alone for this year has almost doubled as well as cost implications for the new traffic management plan. Ticket sales have sadly been lower than normal which may be a result of the tragic event at Shoreham as most shows of our size are finding this year, so we simply cannot afford to continue’.

This is a huge disappointment, not only for the organisers, but also for those who were due to display either in the air or as part of the show ground attractions; and whom have worked with us tirelessly this last few months. Sadly, traders will also lose out on sales at what would have been the 9th Throckmorton Air Show.

For those whom have purchased tickets, refunds will be made in due course.

A glimmer of hope remains for Throckmorton visitors and aviation enthusiasts, as the organisers will look into having a ‘Fly In’ event later on in the year to try and compensate for the loss of one of Worcestershire’s biggest tourist attractions. Any news on this will be shared via our website and social media in due course.

Thank you,
From all the team at Throckmorton Air Show

From their Facebook page.

Nige321

Post by Nige321 »

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Very sad to hear this as it's fairly local to me.Obviously not their fault but short notice to cancel just days before the show.Hopefully it can return in 2017.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

I'm not surprised by some of the views aired on the website, people are still upset from last year....
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/145 ... nts-anchor

I also got caught up in the traffic chaos last year, and then was a bit surprised by the standard of PR afterwards.
I certainly wasn't going to risk buying an advanced ticket this year with probably no hope for a refund.

....That Said.....it's a real shame to lose another airshow....... as in reality everyone loses;
The Organisers lose, The Pilots lose, The Volunteers lose, The Paying Public lose, The Charities lose......and Worcester Loses.

I wish the organisers well for 2017

Shame :sad:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Sad lose for the 2 that set it up and run it ok for a few years,
have respect for the 2 that set it up all done each year sat around the kitchen table, you have to respect that.
the show just got to big to quick add in the Vulcan effect and it went all wrong.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

paullangford wrote:I wish the organisers well for 2017

Sadly it was (to be) their last show this year. Last year was utter chaos for many, and I agree had probably led to the slow down in ticket sales, but gutted for Angus and Sammi who put in so much hard work in their spare time for good causes.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

There's also been some despicably rude responses from the organisers to comments on their Facebook page; telling people "to grow a pair and get lost" as just one example of many. :down:

Yes, it's excellent that people organise charitable events in their free time, but I'd question whether that gives them the right to treat paying customers like dirt?

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

IP1960 wrote:
paullangford wrote:I wish the organisers well for 2017

Sadly it was (to be) their last show this year. Last year was utter chaos for many, and I agree had probably led to the slow down in ticket sales, but gutted for Angus and Sammi who put in so much hard work in their spare time for good causes.

I would have sympathy if they were always transparent, but not when they show themselves to be hostile clowns when constructively criticised or roasted with facts.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Another poor scenario developing from the usual suspects - no chance of your future events being supported, if you carry on treating your customers like you do. Rightly, or wrongly, it's a masterclass in how not to conduct yourself as the 'official voice'.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

WG655 wrote:There's also been some despicably rude responses from the organisers to comments on their Facebook page; telling people "to grow a pair and get lost" as just one example of many. :down:

Yes, it's excellent that people organise charitable events in their free time, but I'd question whether that gives them the right to treat paying customers like dirt?

Yeah, their recent comments have made much of the sympathy I had for them evaporate.

I do wonder, too, about this CAA-blaming. inevitably a cause, but they knew (as did all other shows to which it effects) about the costs increases several months ago. Surely their business plan should have been looked at, and if it was the case that they could not absorb them, then surely they should've cancelled much earlier, per that first raft of shows like Llandudno.

If there's any doubt that an airshow will go ahead (notwithstanding weather etc or events which you can't predict), and certainly on a financial point, it would appear to me to be deliberately deceptive to continue to take people's money and then cancel a week before? Insofar as I know, there is nothing special about Throckmorton that separates itself from other shows. Receiving their CAA approval to host the show a week prior to the event may be poor, but there's nothing to suggest that this isn't the case for all other civilian shows, including the successful two at OW, too. Yes ticket-sales are unpredictable, but the business plan should cover that, and should allow for as little ticket sales to cover costs as possible, leaving the remaining pot to donate to charity - the core mission of the Show. When they thought about cancelling in April and saying "no, it's for charity - we'll carry on" (to paraphrase), if it was low ticket sales, then they were clearly in a position of not being able to give money to charity at that point, and not being guaranteed that come show time they would have any money to give to charity, so from a business standpoint that seems like a huge, huge risk to take.

You just cannot take a punt at goal with people's money, and given the veracity of those seeking a refund on social media (which, incidentally, the cancellation notice does not mention in much detail - which is surely the most important at this point), they have a few months of headache ahead.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt last year with the traffic, but given their response to that, and their responses in relation to this situation, I wonder if people organising a show "from around a kitchen table" whilst admirable, is really a correct thing to do or not. Sometimes it is indeed best to leave it to the professionals, noble intentions notwithstanding.

The CAA have been utter crap recently with some of their decisions, but one does wonder whether they're being made a scapegoat in this instance to cover up for poor show management?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Indeed... the organisers posted this last night....

For all you haters:

Before you slag me off on social media get your facts straight!

I am a full time paramedic and organise the Throckmorton Airshow in my SPARE TIME for charity but if you can do better crack on!!

The CAA changed the low flying regulations 48 hours ago meaning that ALL aircraft with immediate effect would need to fly at a minimum of 500ft...

OK we can take that on the chin... might get a few complaints but we can live with that...

Phone the Insurance company and let them know and they say yes no problem but we want a lot of money which needs to be paid by Friday. *1*

So then where do you expect we get this money from?

In 2014 our show took a loss but because I am so dedicated and committed and a lot of pilots are my personal friends I took a personal loan out to pay for it. Would you have done that?? This was because there were no advanced tickets so all aircraft flew but members of the public did not attend due to 'poor weather' announcements so it was a lovely day. Where do you think this money comes from to pay all the pilots? I shall go find a money tree shall I?

Not only to mention but our permission was only granted yesterday after being put in to the CAA in Jan! *2*

Oh and the CAA announced a sudden price increase Feb by 100% without any prior warning plus a post show fee. How is that fair? *3*

Weather only plays a part if aircraft can't fly and then we get complaints- not because we couldn't afford the show. We knew the numbers but we don't expect sudden changes and price rises out the blue days before the show is due to go ahead. Would you go and pay x10 the amount for exactly the same haircut JUST BECAUSE?

I am a civilian, yes you are right I don't no much about aviation, but I have tried my best, achieving my PPL and learning as I go without taking a penny!

Lastly safety is paramount but with all these extra price increases can I just point out we have had to change NOTHING, zilch, Nada..... *4*
The CAA don't take any extra responsibility, no help in organisation, they have the phone constantly ringing out and emails on 'out of office' go on try and contact them!

So before you start throwing accusations around come to me next time but In the meantime I shall announce you as the next Organiser for the Throckmorton Airshow shall I?
You haters are the reason why the aviation industry is destroyed not the ones trying to save it!*5*

*1*
Are they honestly claiming that due to the blanket below 500ft exemption being revoked the insurance company massively increased their premium? Or is more they hadn't actually paid, or budgeted to pay, their insurance premium in the first place?

*2*
Understand the issuing of the approval just before an event is standard practice and has been for years.

*3*
Although post consulation the CAA significantly reduced the charge and decided to stagger it's introduction, this is something that should have been put into the budget as a worst case scenario the second the consultation was announced and not a factor so late on.

*4*
Have to honest and say I find this VERY hard to believe, if so they will be the only airshow that is CAA governed in the UK that has been unaffected.

*5*
Volunteer or not, that attitude is completely unacceptable from an organiser.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Breathtaking.

About as dignified as turning up to a funeral dressed as Mr Blobby.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

The document was never intended to force airshows to display at a 500ft minimum and it said that events in the interim could get an exemption, didn't it? If that genuinely caused them to cancel, it seems a rather hasty decision based upon a misinterpreted document?

I'm sure it's a very difficult time for them but they should maintain some dignity in their correspondence with customers. Nobody wins when a show like this is cancelled at such short notice, but their customers will be rightly upset as I'm sure the display teams are too, having lost important bookings and possibly turned down other offers for this weekend too. Insulting people isn't the way to go about it.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

And they learned zero lessons from last year's catastrophically bad PR and insulting customers over the roads issue.

If Basil and Sybil Fawlty did airshows...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Breathtaking.

About as dignified as turning up to a funeral dressed as Mr Blobby.

Or wearing a Castrol GTX bomber jacket... ;)
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

A futher attempt at absolution today on Facebook in just about the rudest possible way:-

If anyone arrives at the airfield today without a ticket for the show, we cannot be blamed for your wasted journey. The event was always advertised as "Advanced Tickets Only" you should have purchased online before today and supported the show much sooner. All ticket purchasers, exhibitors and display teams have been contacted on Thurs to inform them of the cancellation. If you have turned up at the airfield despite the social media and news reports over the last few days discussing the cancellation, you have no one to blame but yourself so please don't leave negative comments, we can't be blamed for your mistake.
Regards
Angus

Can the organisers take responsibility for anything negative? Following 2015's faked road accidents, traffic chaos, lack of provision for non-ticket holders resulting in it not being an advance ticket only event, refusal to offer refunds, social media outbursts and now 2016's debacle complete with abusive comments, I really don't think it's the public who are the greatest party at fault here. Such appalling ranting does not assist the situation at all - seems they have no issue in apportioning blame to others, but can't take blame from the rightfully angry paying customers who've kept the show running to this point despite having been treated like dirt. A tragic end.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

"Basil and Sybil" pretty much with a masterclass in how not to treat paying customers.

Normally, it would be sad to lose an airshow from the calendar, but given how this pair have, in successive years, refused to accept blame for anything, and instead aggressively abused their customers, I don't think it's a bad thing that Throckmorton is no more.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

BBC interview with Samantha Jones from March 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZrRU1K7WY