Harrier GR3 XV808 Taxy Event

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
RS2

Harrier GR3 XV808 Taxy Event

Post by RS2 »

I was with the owner of this Harrier yesterday and the current plan is for an event on Easter Sunday / Monday where the Harrier will be taxied up and down the grass strip.
It will be a sort of fete / tractors / wheels event with an aviation element of model aircraft flying and the Harrier taxy. Full details to be finalised but expect around £15 per car or £5 per adult entrance fee.
Hopefully provide a nice opportunity to photograph a live Harrier on a grass strip.
I will provide more detailed information once I have it.
The location is just south of Bridgnorth in Shropshire.

Comet102

Re: Harrier GR3 XV808 Taxy Event

Post by Comet102 »

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Cancelled as the words "Air Show" scared the locals

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

grant_w wrote:Cancelled as the words "Air Show" scared the locals

Local press reported the event in their usual sensationalist manner and the organiser had no choice but to cancel the event. Ridiculous.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

http://www.shropshirestar.com/entertain ... nce-again/

Its hard to be optimistic when you have a situation like this, its as if children are in charge. A Harrier taxi and a few light aircraft flying in, thats all the poor guy wanted to do.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

pbeardmore wrote:http://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/2016/02/03/doomed-air-show-on-shropshire-border-to-take-off-once-again/

Its hard to be optimistic when you have a situation like this, its as if children are in charge. A Harrier taxi and a few light aircraft flying in, thats all the poor guy wanted to do.

Certainly reads as if children wrote it...

Local Rag wrote:A resident Hawker Harrier jet fighter on the site will taxi visitors to the Easter event up and down the airstrip.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Shouldn't cave in to that sort of idiocy - they should just respond to the paper, clarify their position and continue with their plans to raise good money for charity.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Russ

Post by Russ »

That's pretty much what I've said on the events Facebook page... Not condoning the stupidity of the press, but it does seem a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Why let sensationalism win?

A pity. I would have gone as it's very local and would be ace to see a GR3 move again.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Absolutely awful news which highlights - more than anything - the post-Shoreham sensationalism of the media, whereby anything seen even slightly as being an 'airshow' now creates panic locally. In agreement that a clarifying statement should be all that is needed - primarily to highlight that there is no air display component to the day whatsoever despite what the press would have you believe.