Little Gransden Air & Car Show 2016 - Sunday 28th August

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
DamienB

Re: Little Gransden Air & Car Show 2016 - Sunday 28th August

Post by DamienB »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Little Gransden is easily the worst offender of all the venues on the calendar for liveside interlopers. As Dan says, how many "official photographers" does such a small event need? Where are these "official" photographs used?

As I run airside photography at Gransden perhaps you'll permit me to respond.

Three of us were shooting for the show's own archive - used on the programme, calendar, website and press releases. Of those three, Adam was crowdside pretty much all day, Darren was mostly out of sight by the fire crew and I was roving around the site and so far nobody's posted a pic of me getting in the way! Also wearing photographer vests were one visiting member of the aviation press, who also stayed out of sight most of the day, and a guest photographer known to and invited on by the show's organiser. I briefed them all about not getting in the way of the paying punters and moved one on myself when it was obvious he could be blocking a view of the limbo act for a portion of the crowd. We also had a guy shooting video who was mobile throughout the day so may have briefly blocked views of something on the ground but hopefully not for long, and another video shooter who was airside briefly - I think local press, for just one act.

The marshals have a job to do, and as per Andy's post above, it isn't just arm waving at taxiing aircraft. I have no problem whatsoever with them carrying cameras as well if they have spare moments to use them. Some of the high vis crew you see are actually crew for the various display acts, and also have jobs to do, without which you won't have a show. We do have challenges with layout at LG, and the congregation of staff around the control van/fire crew area and nearby pinch point is a little inevitable but I will have words to see if we can get people to think a little more about where they are standing from moment to moment.

Incidentally criticism of the show's content from somebody who didn't actually go to it is going to be given exactly the amount of weight you would imagine.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

TKK 140 wrote:As for aerobatics, the model aircraft did go completely out of control and very spectacularly caught fire. It crash landed not that far from where "viewers" outside the official viewing area were positioned last year, till they were moved on.

The model pilot had spotted the fire and was already flying it out over unoccupied ground when the fire burnt through the rear fuselage and control was lost. By that point it was over the stubble field on the edge of the runway and impacted there. That was a considerable distance from where the freeloaders were last year and frankly about the best place it could possibly have ended up.

Rivetcounter

Post by Rivetcounter »

Canon wrote:Just when I thought I was done deleting shots with marshals in, I found this one....

Two cameras, and you can see just how far out he was by the fact that theres another marshals arm just about sticking into the side of the image.....
Now this guy was clearly only out there for a jolly.... :wall:

Such a beautiful aircraft, and the shot just before this one had that stupid mini bus in the background of it .... :mad:

Well, if you're after the opportunity to take excellent photographs of aircraft such as the Stearman, Spartan and lots of Extras etc., then why not volunteer to be a steward? Not only will you meet a great bunch of people and raise lots of money for charity, but also, *if* you have a spare minute when packing up all of the kit required to run an airshow, then you may be able to snatch the odd photo of the owners of LG based aircraft enjoying taking their friends for flights. The early evening light this year made for some superb photos of the Stearman even on my point and shoot camera :win:

Sadly I think I missed a quick dusk pyro demo as I left 5 minutes too early :facepalm:

Canon

Post by Canon »

Rivetcounter wrote:
Canon wrote:Just when I thought I was done deleting shots with marshals in, I found this one....

Two cameras, and you can see just how far out he was by the fact that theres another marshals arm just about sticking into the side of the image.....
Now this guy was clearly only out there for a jolly.... :wall:

Such a beautiful aircraft, and the shot just before this one had that stupid mini bus in the background of it .... :mad:

Well, if you're after the opportunity to take excellent photographs of aircraft such as the Stearman, Spartan and lots of Extras etc., then why not volunteer to be a steward? Not only will you meet a great bunch of people and raise lots of money for charity, but also, *if* you have a spare minute when packing up all of the kit required to run an airshow, then you may be able to snatch the odd photo of the owners of LG based aircraft enjoying taking their friends for flights. The early evening light this year made for some superb photos of the Stearman even on my point and shoot camera :win:

Sadly I think I missed a quick dusk pyro demo as I left 5 minutes too early :facepalm:

Why would I become something that I hate? :dunno:

Anyway, I wouldn't be able to become a marshal, I'm too respectful of other peoples views, which apparently is a quality not possessed by 'marshals' :whistle:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

DamienB wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:As for aerobatics, the model aircraft did go completely out of control and very spectacularly caught fire. It crash landed not that far from where "viewers" outside the official viewing area were positioned last year, till they were moved on.

The model pilot had spotted the fire and was already flying it out over unoccupied ground when the fire burnt through the rear fuselage and control was lost. By that point it was over the stubble field on the edge of the runway and impacted there. That was a considerable distance from where the freeloaders were last year and frankly about the best place it could possibly have ended up.

As mentioned earlier I photographed pretty much to whole event. I have posted the picture below showing the crash site of the model.

I also have a picture taken last year from virtually the same position,in it are 8 people. They were between the tree and the hedge. I am not posting that picture or any of the others here. However if you view the fire in the bean crop, you can see it is really not far from the tree\hedge so I stand by my comment.

Earlier in the thread there had been a question about whether we had learn anything from Shoreham. This incident shows in particular that the restricted areas have worked.

Canon

Post by Canon »

TKK 140 wrote:
As mentioned earlier I photographed pretty much to whole event. I have posted the picture below showing the crash site of the model.

I also have a picture taken last year from virtually the same position,in it are 8 people. They were between the tree and the hedge. I am not posting that picture or any of the others here. However if you view the fire in the bean crop, you can see it is really not far from the tree\hedge so I stand by my comment.

What zoom was that taken at? Because remember zoom compresses depth.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

160mm, but it's not relevant to this particular debate. The model could quite easily have crashed into the tree for instance, remember I said near the point, not right on it. The wind direction and speed also had an influence.

Canon

Post by Canon »

TKK 140 wrote:160mm, but it's not relevant to this particular debate. The model could quite easily have crashed into the tree for instance, remember I said near the point, not right on it. The wind direction and speed also had an influence.

It is relevant, you're saying it landed 'close' to the tree where the freeloaders were last year, well quite clearly it didn't land that close, and if there were any 'freeloaders' they would not have been injured at all. Therefore very relevant. :wall:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Canon wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:160mm, but it's not relevant to this particular debate. The model could quite easily have crashed into the tree for instance, remember I said near the point, not right on it. The wind direction and speed also had an influence.

It is relevant, you're saying it landed 'close' to the tree where the freeloaders were last year, well quite clearly it didn't land that close, and if there were any 'freeloaders' they would not have been injured at all. Therefore very relevant. :wall:

If you look back to the start of the thread you will see what I said ' As for aerobatics, the model aircraft did go completely out of control and very spectacularly caught fire. It crash landed not that far from where "viewers" outside the official viewing area were positioned last year, till they were moved on.
The tactical positioning of the bean crop helped this year with blocking any ramblers view to the north east.

By the way, if you repositioned yourself on the day you would have got the shots you were after, there happened to be lots of room and some good panning shots to be bagged.

Canon

Post by Canon »

TKK 140 wrote:
If you look back to the start of the thread you will see what I said ' As for aerobatics, the model aircraft did go completely out of control and very spectacularly caught fire. It crash landed not that far from where "viewers" outside the official viewing area were positioned last year, till they were moved on.
The tactical positioning of the bean crop helped this year with blocking any ramblers view to the north east.

By the way, if you repositioned yourself on the day you would have got the shots you were after, there happened to be lots of room and some good panning shots to be bagged.

Re-positioned myself where exactly? If I went and stood anywhere else I would have either been doing to other people what the marshals were doing to me (blocking views), or I would have been stuck quite a few rows back with no view of the runway..... :dunno:

I've never had a problem with marshals blocking my view before, only this year, I've been going to little gransden for the past 3 years, every year setting up early morning in the same spot.
This year I decided to go try another spot and some rude old lady and old man (who arrived a good few minutes after I set up my chair) decided it was appropriate to set up their chairs basically on top of mine (it was impossible for me to sit down because of their chairs arm was halfway over my chair), and then ask us to move our chairs because they had another one to fit in :mad: So I decided to go back to my usual spot. Only to have my clear view blocked by very oblivious and disrespectful marshals. :wall:

Also the model didn't go 'completely out of control' from my perspective. It caught fire and as Damien B said, it only really lost control when it was over an unoccupied area, quite a fair distance from that tree. End of debate.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Indeed, crash site was not "near" the tree in question - it was about 185m from it.