Little Gransden Air & Car Show 2016 - Sunday 28th August

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Jaguargr3

Little Gransden Air & Car Show 2016 - Sunday 28th August

Post by Jaguargr3 »

May as well kick off the thread for this year's show. The line-up is already looking very promising:

Lancaster
Catalina
Hurricane (R4118)
Extra 330SC
Yak-3
Bird Dog
Auster (x2)
T-28 Fennec
Ryan STA
Spartan (x2)
Stearman & wing-walker
Jungmann
Calidus Gyroplane
Pitts Special (Lauren Richardson)
Yak-52
Global Stars
Dennis Neville's Flying Circus

Info from the show's website: http://www.littlegransdenshow.co.uk/flying.php

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Little Gransden Air & Car Show 2016 - Sunday 28th August

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Jaguargr3 wrote:Dennis Neville's Flying Circus

Oh, they're still going with the new regs then. That's good.

Anyone know if they've had to change anything, since the altitudes they fly at for limbo and suchlike will surely cause the rule makers at the CAA to break out in a cold sweat?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

rob68

Post by rob68 »

They haven't changed their display but the washing line poles are now 2 miles high......

Jaguargr3

Post by Jaguargr3 »

Solo Gnat from Gnat Display Team added today, as well as some large scale models.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

ticket purchased, roll on August 28th.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

kph100

Little Gransden 28th August

Post by kph100 »

Considering this show or Cold war jets at Bruntingthorpe this bank holiday.

Can anyone give some form of review about what the Gransden show is normally like.

Thank you

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

There are reviews from past years on the UK Airshow Review website, funnily enough...

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/20 ... d-car-day/

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/20 ... -air-show/

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/20 ... -air-show/

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/20 ... -car-show/

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/20 ... -car-show/

It's a decent little show, although largely the same year on year. Lots of classic cars to look around, any visiting warbirds on the ground are normally parked quite nicely for pictures and the flying display was always decent, especially for the few acts that flew round the bend in the crowd line, but what it'll be like under the new rules I couldn't say. Not enough on the list as it stands to lure me into finding out either.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

As above, Little Gransden is a good little venue, but the show for me has stagnated since the Lancasters and Vulcan bumper crowds. Too many repeat items year-on-year, far too many aerobatic acts and far too few aircraft using the bend. Hard to know what gets more recycled there, the display list or Ken Ellis's script.

If you've not been before, you'll probably have a grand day out, just don't expect it to push the envelope.

And do expect hordes of self-important "photographers" liveside in luminous tabards to ruin any ground shots.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

I think it fills a nice gap in the market, as well as raising lots of money for a worthwhile cause. You get lots of fast air at RIAT, loads of warbirds at Flying Legends yet you seem surprised to see a fair few aerobatic displays at what is the home of one of the best aerobatic pilots in the world! :pinkwafer: :lol:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

From the majority of your airshow related posts (and polls for that matter) you appear to have a grievance against virtually airshow organiser in the UK at a time when they need all the support they can get.

Considering the constraints they are under this year I think the majority have done exceptionally well to put on good shows for the public. Little Gransden for me is one of the jewels in the airshow calendar and for 25 years they have provided an extra day out so I fail to understand your criticism for that show in particular.

Earlier in the year it was Shuttleworth and the new display line which you were constantly haranguing and having failed to make a valid point there (I think I can fairly say that the general consensus was that it made little difference in the end) you have looked for other targets. Personally I think the only valid one is Farnborough on 2 counts - 1 the very high price and 2 the habit of half (and I'm almost being kind to them there) clearing the static display before the public days.

As for Duxford they have clearly severely upset you at some point in the past for the continual nature of your criticism because of the historical use of the 'naughty field' they had far more to deal with than other shows and have had to deal with it best they can without ruining the spectacle, they didn't impose the rules they simply did their best to comply without shooting themselves in the foot.
andygolfer

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

andygolfer wrote: Earlier in the year it was Shuttleworth and the new display line which you were constantly haranguing and having failed to make a valid point there (I think I can fairly say that the general consensus was that it made little difference in the end)

That is very different to "the general consensus" that was posted on this very forum after the season premiere when the new guidelines installed by the CAA gave some of the worst viewing spectacles of all time at OW. The Lysander, Po-2 and Anson were pointlessly ambling about in the distance. Nobody was haranguing the display organisers about this either, as it was something forced upon them by the CAA. Did you not read the various posts mocking the flying of the flag?

It was a very valid point at OW, it made a big difference to the viewing satisfaction for the paying customer and which common sense has now seen reverted to how it was before and how it should be.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Andygolfer, I'd suggest your fascination with my opinions and views is bordering on the unhealthy.

And clearly you weren't witness to just how terrible Shuttleworth's first show of the season was. Or how much better it is now common sense has broken out.

And Duxford's shortcomings as a display venue are reflected in opinions held by the majority, not the minority. Again, you must be extremely easy to please.

Still, you go on enjoying your trolling, eh?

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Andygolfer, I'd suggest your fascination with my opinions and views is bordering on the unhealthy.

And clearly you weren't witness to just how terrible Shuttleworth's first show of the season was. Or how much better it is now common sense has broken out.

And Duxford's shortcomings as a display venue are reflected in opinions held by the majority, not the minority. Again, you must be extremely easy to please.

Still, you go on enjoying your trolling, eh?

I'm not sure what your first point is insinuating but I don't consider it a very polite response

I was at the season premiere and posted some pics here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72630 I also posted a couple of times in the lengthy topic re the show (in which you were rather vocal) and to me that seemed a fairly balanced topic with 'happies' and 'not so happies'. My most relevant point (I felt) was one i made in response to a discussion around some photos that were posted the point being that I felt the height rather than the distance spoilt the photography aspect in that there were more belly shots and fewer topsides, apart from that it was okay but a case of picking one's moments for photos rather than being spoilt for choice.

Duxford isn't ideal now, I've said that in various posts over the year but as I said earlier because of the previous well publicised and prolific use of the naughty fields they are more in the spotlight and have had to react accordingly. Whether or not it was ideal before 2016 is another question/topic and even as a FoD member I can understand the desire in the past to go to the fields for those close up photos, an airfield where the crowdline is looking towards the sun for part of the display (it improves by around 3.30) is never ideal but the site was chosen for an IWM museum because of it's history and the ready made facilities that were there in the 70s not it's orientation to the sun- it was used for IWM storage way before it opened to the public and one of the advantages of my gliding there was that we sometimes got a bit of a look in a hangar or two. Of course that view into the sun is sure to dare I say force the really determined photographers to try elsewhere. I am obviously comparatively easy to please but I have done and still do acknowledge the limitations. you just seem to be very focussed on the bad rahter than giving a balanced view and acknowledging good points where they exist.

I don't consider any of what I have written in this or the previous posts trolling I am merely pointing out that you should be balancing what you write to take into account the efforts being made by show organisers in 2016 rather than describing the show scene as total doom and gloom.

and finally back to Lt Gransden which is the subject of this topic and your post which inspired me to respond, you wrote

' but the show for me has stagnated since the Lancasters and Vulcan bumper crowds. Too many repeat items year-on-year, far too many aerobatic acts and far too few aircraft using the bend. Hard to know what gets more recycled there, the display list or Ken Ellis's script'

I really don't see how you can say in has stagnated since the Vulcan and twin Lancs, there has only been one show since then (2015) which is hardly a fair one to judge it by, it poured with rain and the show stopped for best part of an hour and several acts had to cancel including the Vulcan (you mentioned it first!). all shows do have repeat items usually because they are popular with the regular attendees and suit the venue, for instance the Spartans are always enjoyable but I think we can agree that they wouldn't suit RIAT. The last full show in 2014 was criticised on here for not using the bend but I did point out (and mostly it was ignored) that the UKGA decided to hold their regional leg of the national championships at Gransden Lodge gliding club a mile or two to the north east thus imposing a NOTaMed exclusion zone to which the 'bend' was the nearest point and thus those enjoyable topsides round the bend/wood were largely ruled out. Aerobatic-wise you have to admit that Mark Jeffries is worth seeing just for the take off alone let alone what follows and as a whole the type of crowd that goes to Lt Gransden is mainly one that enjoys aerobatics - even the glider is different and especially enjoyable when accompanied by a bit of Pink floyd, the one exception where I find a musical accompaniment acceptable.

As for Ken Ellis's script, I don't know what you don't like about it, it's a bit humorous and again tuned to the type of crowd there. I have been to 6 or 7 shows there now so I suppose I know what to expect from him but for a first timer it might be a bit of a shock compared to those of the experts at RIAT and Legends who probably tour the display circuit and have a chance to fine tune their wording. I find it enjoyable and as I said a bit different but maybe not to everybody's taste but it's a charity event and he does well in his efforts to get people to part with a bit of extra cash here and there as well as providing a good commentary aimed an the type of audience that attends the normal show rather than the sell outs of the Lancasters and Vulcan which drew the audience from much further afield and probably a more 'connoisseur' type than usual.

Okay that probably sounds like a lengthy plug for Lt Gransden and I make no apologies for trying to help publicise it, I bought my ticket ages ago because it's an enjoyable day out without the hassle of a big crowded show - I much prefer the smaller intimate shows even if they sometimes have a few limitations.

I hope the aforewritten isn't considered trolling!
andygolfer

Yak50

Post by Yak50 »

Sally B is displaying at 1640 :cool:

Canon

Post by Canon »

Whats up with the Lancaster?

As nice as it is to see Sally B fly, its just not the same especially considering I haven't seen the lancaster fly since Little Gransden 2014 :wall: Haven't got any photos of it since I got a good lens :down:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

XX752

Post by XX752 »

Canon wrote:Whats up with the Lancaster?

As nice as it is to see Sally B fly, its just not the same especially considering I haven't seen the lancaster fly since Little Gransden 2014 :wall: Haven't got any photos of it since I got a good lens :down:

Needing an engine change I think.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Any takers for 'that' incident...? Certainly looked like he was a very lucky man.
Last edited by Slappywag on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTS

Post by FTS »

Slappywag wrote:Any takers for 'that' incident...? Certainly looked like Mr Greenwood was a very lucky man.

This the Yak? I'm seeing a few people mentioning it on Facebook but from where I was we didn't see anything other than it do 2 passes and leave. I did get some very dramatic shots of the RC Extra going down in flames though which was gutting to see.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Slappywag wrote:Any takers for 'that' incident...? Certainly looked like Mr Greenwood was a very lucky man.

Will Greenwood was not flying at Little Gransden, it was a different Yak.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Elliott Marsh wrote:

Will Greenwood was not flying at Little Gransden, it was a different Yak.

My apologies. Amended.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I think Lauren Richardson was in a Yak there today. Mind you, knowing LG there were probably about 50 different Yak displays there.

What happened?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The Yak-3 'White 100' was red carded after a couple of passes, no idea why. Also the 40% scale Extra flying with Chris Burkett in the full size caught fire and broke up mid air, crashed in a field of corn luckily... Could have been nasty though

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Very low out the bottom of reset manoeuvre. A hint of high-speed stall.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Thanks for that, did not notice that I must admit. Heard him say he needed 30 secs to reset but he was told to stop immediately by ATC...

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

The model caught fire, virtually melted and buckled on the way down, then crashed into the broad bean crop that has been grown on the runway side of the eastern hedge. Looked like the smoke equipment caused the incident.
Photographed the whole plunge, it was pretty spectacular and fortunately no one hurt. This occurred during the full size and 40% scale model aerobatic display in the middle of a heavy rain shower.

Good show, the Ryan displayed showing some rare top side passes and Chris Eames Gnat routine was a little distant.