Abingdon Air & Country Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
PeterR

Re: Abingdon Air & Country Show 2017

Post by PeterR »

Great addition to the flying display, the team always look better on short display lines in my opinion. :clap:

tankbuster wrote:They would look really good under lights the night before

Due to the fragility of the airframes, the team usually try to avoid leaving them outside overnight.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Worth noting it's the likely public airshow flying debut of the team's lovely Avro 504 replica.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Another addition today, this time it's the show stopping antics of Rich Goodwin that will be on display with his awesome Pitts Special. Great addition to the line up!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Announced today - Hangar 11s P-51 Tall in the Saddle! Awesome addition, always a favourite
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I was thinking earlier that with fewer airshows on the calendar, PT cutting back on his display bookings and two of the collection up for sale, opportunities to see the Hangar 11 fleet are becoming rarer. It was only yesterday that PT was perhaps the most prolific warbird display pilot in the UK, carrying out something like 70+ displays per year. I only saw him three times last year, all at Old Warden, where once I would have seen him fly most weekends!

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Aircraft update: 4x Gazelle Helicopters will be flying a four ship formation from the Gazelle Team. 2x Red/White heli's, 1 white and a green/grey camo!
Nikon D500

N48284

Post by N48284 »

Harvo266 wrote:Aircraft update: 4x Gazelle Helicopters will be flying a four ship formation from the Gazelle Team. 2x Red/White heli's, 1 white and a green/grey camo!

I'm not sure even Neil knows about this!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Harvo266 wrote:Aircraft update: 4x Gazelle Helicopters will be flying a four ship formation from the Gazelle Team. 2x Red/White heli's, 1 white and a green/grey camo!

As per their website list, amongst others, RIAT and Cosford I'd take this with a pinch of salt. Although Neil should be in a good position to know!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

I (Neil) can categorically state I HAVE NOT booked a 4 ship Gazelle display! I will be having words with the team!

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Oldtower wrote:I (Neil) can categorically state I HAVE NOT booked a 4 ship Gazelle display! I will be having words with the team!

Well that's that then! It really is misleading when they post their 'schedule' as most people would think that is their definite schedule but apparently none of the dates are concrete! The same has happened in the past with the Sea Vixen, SwAFHF etc.....
Nikon D500

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Oldtower wrote:I will be having words with the team!

Looks like you had to be in a queue to speak with them, as the orgainisers of lots of other events were also 'having words' about their schedule lisitings! :lol: #FAKENEWS

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

From the Show's Facebook site -

"Advance tickets at outlets & the gate tickets are one common Wristband which are numbered & difficult to take off. The idea came from Kleine Brogel Airshow, so as long as you have paid,you will recieve a wristband & receipt (outlets only for a receipt to show all tally's up as on gate on the day your there purchasing) ..No wristband means no entry.its a trial but hey, easy identification! Advance tickets ordered via the website are an A4 ticket from Fatsoma.
Also,it's a completely new layout - Showground & car parks on the east (hangar side), main runway still to be used, all flying displays / circuit pattern for aircraft out to the west... For improved safety for flying displays as lots more clear areas. Encourages locals to enter /pay and not so far to walk! However we also encourage traffic to get in before 1pm,to get you in safely in the new car parking area before the flying display starts."

Looks like that will make photography more of a challenge.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Unfortunately Ralph it's that way or no show since the new rules have come in & now flying over the technical site as before is disallowed.

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

Thanks Neil - I figured that would be the case. As a matter of interest, having switched sides, whereabouts are the fly-in aircraft and the display aircraft going to be parked?

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

As before but on the east side now - using runway 26 & an area of grass for aircraft parking so in effect,in the middle

K213

Post by K213 »

Will the vehicle entry point remain the same, or has this changed too ?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Have to say this isn't good news but I understand why the change is happening.

One of Abingdons big attractions has been that the light is in the right direction during its display for photography, many use the show as their first event of the year for that very reason.

Now photography will be into the sun for most of the display.

Was there any consideration given to returning to the 2015 northern display line? Would that still allow for the technical site to be avoided?

Andy

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

boff180 wrote:Have to say this isn't good news but I understand why the change is happening.

One of Abingdons big attractions has been that the light is in the right direction during its display for photography, many use the show as their first event of the year for that very reason.

Now photography will be into the sun for most of the display.

Was there any consideration given to returning to the 2015 northern display line? Would that still allow for the technical site to be avoided?

Andy

Another show bites the dust for the photographer.

All this does is force photographers to look for locations to watch from on the live side.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I was there in 2015 and it was the usual display line (along the main runway)?

Understand the frustrations but equally, if it means aircraft can display without diving into and out of a "bowl", thus making displays more dynamic and probably easier for the pilots (based on what people like PT have written) it's an improvement in the round and the majority of the crowd probably won't care.

We're all assuming it'll be sunny anyway. Last time I went it rained so heavily even my wallet was soaked through. Happy times.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:....Another show bites the dust for the photographer.

All this does is force photographers to look for locations to watch from on the live side....

Nobody "forces" photographers to watch from the live side, quite the reverse, it is actively discouraged by show organisers; it is a choice( in my opinion unwise and selfish) made by the photographers themselves.

The day will probably come when a flying display is stopped due to too many photographers on the live side, which can only do harm to the image of the aviation enthusiast within the general public. We are viewed as, at best, "a bit weird" and at worst as downright deviant.... It must have been noted that every time an aviation enthusiast is depicted in a TV series it is as an "extreme anorak".

As I have previously suggested, perhaps if one can only take photographs with the light from behind one's shoulder, it may be time to ditch the expensive "CaNikons" and go back to a Box Brownie......

I will be at Abingdon, in the showground (health permitting) as I actually wish to support British airshows...
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Ladies & gents,I'm sorry to say but it really is this orientation or no show,I hope I make myself clear generally speaking.
Yes the avid photographers amongst the crowds will face into the sun from about mid afternoon but it's not too bad to be honest.However an advantage is you will be closer to the active runway (100mtrs from the runway edge as per JSP).

Any photographers etc trying to watch outside will have a shock as we are closing two roads both to the north & west.
I did think and started to plan for an E/ W orientation however,it came along with more issues so had to abandon it on professional advice from aircrew,plus the safety window in the E/ W runway is less as it's half the length of the main.
It is what it is.i certainly am not stopping the show,but my goal is listen to advice in this time of regulatory updates and present a safer show.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

K213 wrote:Will the vehicle entry point remain the same, or has this changed too ?

The same southern entry gate

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Went for the first time last year as I'd moved to the area but was quite disappointed with the show, seemed like a long way from the dispay lines. On that basis I'm up for change...

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Brawler - as I said,it's new rules since Shoreham equals displays further out.One of those things us Organisers have to put up with..

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Oldtower wrote:Brawler - as I said,it's new rules since Shoreham equals displays further out.One of those things us Organisers have to put up with..

Certainly feel for guys like you having to work around these ridiculous regs...good luck with this years show.