Abingdon Air & Country Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Abingdon Air & Country Show 2017

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

The Baron wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Anyone know if the Mustang is leaving today? Just read that he landed back after his display.

They've both departed.

Yeah, ta. I ended up being one of Peter's assistants back at North Weald to get the Mustang safely hangared. :biggrin:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
The Baron wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Anyone know if the Mustang is leaving today? Just read that he landed back after his display.

They've both departed.

Yeah, ta. I ended up being one of Peter's assistants back at North Weald to get the Mustang safely hangared. :biggrin:

Excellent!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

And so, it starts.

The Star's "reporting" of it as a "DISASTER" is so laughable as to make a complete mockery of so-called journalism. They even mix up the two incidents!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/614131/pilot-plane-nosedive-ground-crash-hospital-emergency-Abingdon-Air-Country-Show-Oxfordshire/amp

Just wait until the Mail get hold of it.

Bottom line is that two aeroplanes had problems, both pilots acted in the textbook manner to bring the machines down quickly and at no risk to the crowds. One pilot was hurt, nobody died. The rules and regulatory mechanisms worked as they should. Airshows remain, as they always have been, safe. Nothing to see here.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Twitter user @UKAirshowReview posted: "Avro 504 suffers engine failure on display debut".

Quality journalism, quoting a tweet referring to the wrong incident! :facepalm:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Unbelievable. Just what the industry needs.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:And so, it starts.

The Star's "reporting" of it as a "DISASTER" is so laughable as to make a complete mockery of so-called journalism. They even mix up the two incidents!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/614131/pilot-plane-nosedive-ground-crash-hospital-emergency-Abingdon-Air-Country-Show-Oxfordshire/amp

Bottom line is that two aeroplanes had problems, both pilots acted in the textbook manner to bring the machines down quickly and at no risk to the crowds. One pilot was hurt, nobody died. The rules and regulatory mechanisms worked as they should. Airshows remain, as they always have been, safe. Nothing to see here.

But "Pilot brings aircraft down safely, no one in danger" as a headline isn't going to sell any papers to the frogspawn masses who would prefer death and destruction. Are you surprised?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

No we're not surprised at all, but a little bit of truth and balance on here can't do any harm, even if it doesn't do a lot of good! What it needs is a return to the days of football hooliganism, that kept the chip wrappers busy!

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Dan O'Hagan wrote: And so, it starts.

I generally agree with everything you've said, but w.r.t. the twister incident: Low and slow with engine failure, I thought that a 180 back to the airfield was exactly what the textbook said NOT to do...? (Though I appreciate that in a particular situation, it might be the 'least worst' option!)
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

Is there an update on the pilots condition?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

*Reasonably* calm reporting from the Heil, certainly could've been a lot worse:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Pringles wrote:*Reasonably* calm reporting from the Heil, certainly could've been a lot worse:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html

That's more or less a direct lift from the Oxford Mail's article of yesterday.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Mind-boggling irony seeing that the author of that article tweeted this a few weeks ago:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Sabrina_Dougall/status/857667099321405440[/tweet]

tu16

Post by tu16 »

Any comments on the actual display? New display line, acts, etc?

st24

Post by st24 »

Pringles wrote:

Mind-boggling irony seeing that the author of that article tweeted this a few weeks ago:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Sabrina_Dougall/status/857667099321405440[/tweet]

The only incredible thing about the "incredible footage" is that people are still using mobile phones in "portrait " mode!! :mad: :facepalm:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Ryan. wrote:
J.C Photography wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Wonder who'll be the first to sell their photos to the Daily Mail for tomorrow's sensationalised "The Shocking Moment A..." scare story?

That should be the least of our worries right now...

Doesn't mean it isn't a comment worth mentioning. Speculating on the sensationalism that will probably be in the newspapers with two incidents at one event, doesn't take away from thoughts and feelings from those affected.

'Thoughts and feelings from those affected'

What are you talking about? It was a well executed emergency belly landing, not a 747 plowing into a block of flats.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Ouragan wrote:
Ryan. wrote:
J.C Photography wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Wonder who'll be the first to sell their photos to the Daily Mail for tomorrow's sensationalised "The Shocking Moment A..." scare story?

Doesn't mean it isn't a comment worth mentioning. Speculating on the sensationalism that will probably be in the newspapers with two incidents at one event, doesn't take away from thoughts and feelings from those affected.

What are you talking about? It was a well executed emergency belly landing, not a 747 plowing into a block of flats.

Whether it was well executed or not there will still be people affected. Most notably the pilot ending up in hospital and his family hearing of the incident.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Ouragan wrote:
Ryan. wrote:
J.C Photography wrote:

The pilot was still injured, so yes, there is every right to say that. People will have been affected by this. Some people on this forum look to cause an argument over anything they can. It's pathetic

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I have to be honest, if that is what was said, I find it a very strange response. We expected problems?

So everytime a pilot displays at a new venue for them (in effect the same as displaying over a new display box) you expect a problem. If that's the case ban all airshows immediately. :dunno:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Problems with the show, i.e. traffic issues, people getting lost, traders being in the wrong place, etc. Not problems with display aircraft.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I had no issues with traffic and liked the layout. The issues I did have were a lack of urinals. Portaloos a-plenty, but no urinals (that I could see), and a couple clowns taking the PA system down before the end of the flying. Not just inconvenient and unhelpful but also dangerous as its used to pass on announcements to Joe.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

I enjoyed the show, fairly good traffic managment and an easy get away at the end around 1825. Despite the incidents it was a good commentary and several good static surprises.The great warbirds are a good act, glad the 504 crew ok. Shame about the Twister FL, hope the pilots recovers. I also found that static aircrew and stall holders were happy to chat and not hurried.Very lucky with the weather as the biggest downpours showers missed and only one dark cloud appeared near the extended end of the show.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Capercaillie so do I as I never said it......

As Hampshire said,I ment ie new layout equals potential traffic issues etc etc which no thanks partly to a dud set of paid company officials did a not very good job for me & proved a point. The paper as yet again misquoted....and Baron if I found out what clowns took down the PA horns I would string them up,how dare they compromise our safety.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Oldtower wrote:Capercaillie so do I as I never said it......

As Hampshire said,I ment ie new layout equals potential traffic issues etc etc which no thanks partly to a dud set of paid company officials did a not very good job for me & proved a point. The paper as yet again misquoted....and Baron if I found out what clowns took down the PA horns I would string them up,how dare they compromise our safety.

That's the problem with almost all media these days, you say something, then something else and then they twist it into an order that suits a story. I wouldn't even give them the time of day.

Cheers for clarifying. :up:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Oldtower wrote:Capercaillie so do I as I never said it......

I know the Scout helicopter took one of them down as it was lifting
Nikon D500