Radial And Trainer Fly-In V: 29-30th April 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Re: Radial And Trainer Fly-In V: 29-30th April 2017

Post by Ledhead27 »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Will the "UKAR Party Plane" Be making an appearance...? :lol: :lol:

Sadly not, instead it'll be the UKAR Party Panda that'll be appearing throughout the weekend (Fiat Panda 100hp for those who think I've gone to a zoo and stolen an actual Panda)
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

Ledhead27 wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Will the "UKAR Party Plane" Be making an appearance...? :lol: :lol:

Sadly not, instead it'll be the UKAR Party Panda that'll be appearing throughout the weekend (Fiat Panda 100hp for those who think I've gone to a zoo and stolen an actual Panda)

Who needs T6's when you have the Panda ;-)

RS2

Post by RS2 »

Just a quick update for those of you asking about access etc.
For the safety plan, as it is an active airfield with a Fly In planned with aircraft arriving and departing at various times throughout both days there is no airside access.
However the picnic area by the tower is being extended greatly (over 1km of new fencing ordered yesterday) to offer good photographic and viewing opportunities of parked aircraft and taxying aircraft. This should include uncluttered backgrounds of taxying aircraft with the sun behind you all day and an area extended to runway 04 and beyond.
Also we will be opening up an area in the vicinity of the taxiway and 34 runway threshold, infact some car parking will also be in this area. This should either offer touchdown or take off shots along with good taxying photos.
Please take a look at either http://www.twitter.com/whgaevent or http://www.halfpennygreenevents.co.uk where airfield airfield layouts will appear in the days preceeding the event.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Our final update is now live, which includes strong support from Biggin Hill Shipping & Airlines with four of their aircraft (highlighted in red). Aircraft that have expressed interest are as follows:

- North American AT-16 Harvard IIB - G-AZSC
- North American AG-6D Texan III - G-TDJN
- North American T-28A Fennec - G-TROY
- Stinson V-77 Reliant - NC33543
- De Havilland DH.90 Dragonfly - G-AEDU
- De Havilland DH.87 Hornet Moth - G-AHBL
- Rearwin Sportster - G-AEOF
- Curtiss Wright Travel Air 12Q/W - G-AAOF
- Scottish Aviation Bulldog T1 - XX630
- Piper PA-22 Colt - G-ARON
- Vans RV-6 - G-BZRV

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Hi all,

Just a very quick update. RotorSport UK, based at HPG, will be unveiling their new MTO Sport Autogyro during the weekend. As part of the unveiling, all visiting autogyro pilots are entitled to a free landing fee, which should hopefully entice additional traffic (particularly with the Microlight Fair at Popham the same weekend).

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Looking forward to the weekend, as someone who grew up attending the HPG airshows in the 70's. Hope all the hard work and support from aircraft/pilots is rewarded with lovely weather :biggrin:

st24

Post by st24 »

Ledhead27 wrote:Our final update is now live, which includes strong support from Biggin Hill Shipping & Airlines with four of their aircraft (highlighted in red). Aircraft that have expressed interest are as follows:

- North American AT-16 Harvard IIB - G-AZSC
- North American AG-6D Texan III - G-TDJN
- North American T-28A Fennec - G-TROY
- Stinson V-77 Reliant - NC33543
- De Havilland DH.90 Dragonfly - G-AEDU
- De Havilland DH.87 Hornet Moth - G-AHBL
- Rearwin Sportster - G-AEOF
- Curtiss Wright Travel Air 12Q/W - G-AAOF
- Scottish Aviation Bulldog T1 - XX630
- Piper PA-22 Colt - G-ARON
- Vans RV-6 - G-BZRV

Wow.. Still it goes on!! great stuff. Just hope this run of good weekend weather we've had doesn't fizzle out .. :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Cole

Post by Cole »

Where will we be parking ? (I am familiar with the area )
& when will the 'site plan' be available. :smile:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

RS2

Post by RS2 »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Where will we be parking ? (I am familiar with the area )
& when will the 'site plan' be available. :smile:

Hopefully will be on the event website later today.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Adding to the above post, the link below provides details for parking (including disabled, car park surface, distance to showground etc) and event layout. The website has recently been updated to provide a flavour of what to expect:

http://www.halfpennygreenevents.co.uk/e ... arking.php

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

Hi Andrew,
Quick Question - looking at the web site, it gives the opening times for the event and car parks as 10:00 for both - what time will the car parks open for earlier arrivals as I can't imagine that cars queuing down Crab Lane would go down well? I am obviously particularly interested in Car Park 1 :-)

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

Hi Ralph.

If there is a backlog im sure the Airfield will open the gates up earlier for Car Park 1,2,3. The main arena opens at 10 as said on map.

Cheers
Andy

RS2

Post by RS2 »

Just a reminder for anyone heading to this event this weekend, this is not a stand alone fly in.
The Radial & Trainer Fly In is essentially part of the 'Wings' element of a Wings & Wheels Style Event.
As such there will be no airside access, anyone popping on a bib and trying to get airside or into closed off areas in hangars will be asked to leave.
Not only that but they will also be putting the future of the event in danger for everyone else.
The volunteer team at Halfpenny Green have gone to great lengths to create walkways and car park areas that offer great photographic opportunities.
Maps can be seen at http://www.halfpennygreenevents.co.uk but Im sure photographers will be heading for the corner of carpark 1 for unobstructed shots of aircraft turning off runway 16 onto the taxiway or of aircraft holding for 34 departures.
Alternatively the area around the pleasure flying AN2 and helicopter could offer unobstructed views of aircraft taxying head on towards parking down runway 22 or taxy way bravo.
And all these points with the sun behind.
Finally Autogyro UK are based at Halfpenny Green, from the event areas walkways have been created to their hangar and apron where they will be doing the UK launch of the new MTO, will be chatting to the public about gyros and how they work and will be offering trial flights.
Last minute info will be available on twitter at https://twitter.com/WHGAEVENT please tweet to us if you visit this weekend.
Finally please feel free to pass on and help us keep both airside and the future of the event safe.

RS2

Post by RS2 »

Jetnoise wrote:Hi Andrew,
Quick Question - looking at the web site, it gives the opening times for the event and car parks as 10:00 for both - what time will the car parks open for earlier arrivals as I can't imagine that cars queuing down Crab Lane would go down well? I am obviously particularly interested in Car Park 1 :-)

Cheers,
Ralph

Its not an air display and has always been advertised as a 10am start. The reason for this is many of the ground exhibits have distances to travel and we have to try to give them time to get to us, and to get into place before the public start walking around them. Its yet to be agreed but car park 3 may open early as its off site, either way police will be in place before opening time to ensure traffic is not queuing and blocking the adjacent lanes.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Is there any aircaft due in today. ie. portuguese Yaks. AN2, Vampire, Biggin hill stuff etc.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Leebee0

Post by Leebee0 »

AN2 arrived around 5:30 this afternoon :smile:

Good luck guys for the weekend. See you tomorrow.

Lee.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

We've had three arrivals today, including :

- Antonov An-2 (HA-MKF)
- Aeronca O-58B Grasshopper (G-BRHP)
- Piper PA-22 Colt (G-ARON)

Hope those visiting this weekend enjoy it!

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Cole

Post by Cole »

Have a nice day guys, See you there. :smile:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Cole

Post by Cole »

Vampire T11 WZ507, The flight leaves North Weald at 10.30 for a 45 minute trip to Halfpenny Green outside Wolverhampton for the Radials, Trainers and Transport fly in.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Vampire left Weald about 12:05.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

daveseth

Post by daveseth »

hi,
what's the turnout like? planning on visiting tomorrow...
regards,
dave...

st24

Post by st24 »

daveseth wrote:hi,
what's the turnout like? planning on visiting tomorrow...
regards,
dave...

Missing quite a few off the list but a cracking little event...Recommended...!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Leebee0

Post by Leebee0 »

Hi just got back from the first day and have to say thoroughly enjoyed it. Was able to drive straight into car park 1 park up and start enjoying the arrivals. Highlights of course the Vampire the Avro Anson and a fantastic formation departure by two Harvards. I will be heading back tomorrow for the Vampire departure depending on the weather but should be mid afternoon tomorrow.

Just wanted to say a massive well done to Andy for what you put together and looking forward to more of the same tomorrow.

I have filmed all the action from today and will tomorrow also then I will edit it in a highlights programme as soon as I can. I will post a link to it from here when ready

Cheers

Lee.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Getting in and out was very simple, something that much more established shows still struggle with. However, a lot was missing from the advertised list, although I do understand that can't really be helped. My only real issue being the parking of some aircraft away from where you could get close to them. A row of rather nice vintage aircraft were kept very far from public view which wasn't really ideal when you're already missing a lot from what's advertised. A great start though to a good little event.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Had a great time there today and an absolute bargain at a fiver. Very quick entry into car park 1 (once they had found they key :) and really friendly staff. Only thing I would like to have been different (except for the very cloudy weather) was for more of the aircraft to have taxied to the far end of the runway rather than using the half way taxiway which make them very distant to photograph. I appreciate this would have slowed down landing as it would have doubled the taxi time but maybe just do it for the Yak's, Nanchaung and the Harvards (some did and some didn't). Is there going to be an October event?