Headcorn Battle of Britain airshow

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Spotty_Jag

Re: Headcorn Battle of Britain airshow

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Beech18Boy wrote:Lots more to be added....

I do wish the show would just hurry up and publish the full line-up. Only two weeks to go so they must know what they've booked?! "More coming soon" doesn't sell tickets but if they announced a few more warbirds I'm sure they'd tempt a few more people away from Legends.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Beech18Boy wrote:Lots more to be added....

I do wish the show would just hurry up and publish the full line-up. Only two weeks to go so they must know what they've booked?! "More coming soon" doesn't sell tickets but if they announced a few more warbirds I'm sure they'd tempt a few more people away from Legends.

In total agreement. I'm quite keen to give this show a go, but Dorset to Kent is a fair way for "only" (I use the term loosely) a 109/Buchon hybrid. Even if it is a two seater. I'm surprised there isn't more support from BHHH and it would be nice if the Blenheim could be tempted. I'm sure it can cope with appearing at Headcorn and Legends.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

DangerM

Post by DangerM »

Think I might give this one a miss. Telephoned yesterday and was told that the show is being organised by the people who organise combined ops instead of the team who did the last Headcorn Battle of Britain show.

Given that the last Combined ops show used the same technique of 'line up to be announced' and talk of aircraft having 'sleep overs' I'm not very hopeful for this show. Legends for me.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The event is really a big "benefit" for Aero Legends - see http://aerolegends.co.uk/show/battle-of-britain-air-show-flight-offers

It's the 77th anniversary year of the Battle Of Britain and on the 8th and 9th of July Aero Legends celebrate the event at Headcorn Aerodrome, with a range of family attractions including a funfair and a variety of stalls. A spectacular afternoon flying display will feature aircraft from the era, including Spitfires, Hurricanes and Tiger Moths. The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) will form a part of the show. Aero Legends will be offering a range of Air Experiences on both days, outside of the afternoon display period (14:00 - 15:30). The Air Show Air Experiences represent exceptional value as they include entry to the Air Show. They are of limited supply and are available by pre-ordering on our web sites or alternatively, phone us to buy and book the flight at the same time. Any unsold Air Experiences will be made available on the day, but will not include the Free ticket entry or reimbursement of any entry ticket value.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

DangerM wrote:Think I might give this one a miss. Telephoned yesterday and was told that the show is being organised by the people who organise combined ops instead of the team who did the last Headcorn Battle of Britain show.

Given that the last Combined ops show used the same technique of 'line up to be announced' and talk of aircraft having 'sleep overs' I'm not very hopeful for this show. Legends for me.

I'm not going to Combined Ops this year. After announcing loads of aircraft, the flying display consisted of the BBMF doing a few passes, things taking off/landing to go to another show, and the Reds flying over one day.
I was hoping this Battle of Britain Show wasn't going be a huge publicity exercise for Aero Legends, but at the moment it is.

DangerM

Post by DangerM »

clearstone wrote:outside of the afternoon display period (14:00 - 15:30)

Now a hour and a half flying with, so far, 5 warbird and 7 'filler' aircraft for £12 as opposed to 4 hours or so at Legends with up to 45 aircraft of which 35 are warbirds including 2 being shipped from America and the Red Arrows as a bonus on Sunday for £35. To me that is 10 times the aircraft for 3 times the price at Legends which makes it no contest in my book. Legends for me thanks.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

It's looking woefully thin at present, and certainly not worth a 5 hour round trip. Such a shame that they've not even tried to build on the success they had in 2015.

So many warbirds don't get booked for Legends, for reasons known and unknown, and it seemed in 2015 that Headcorn had cottoned on to this and were delivering a real alternative to Duxford.

Unless something spectacular is added, and the display grows by at least an hour, I shan't be bothering.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Good going for a non-Legends show to pull a warbird from mainland Europe. It's not going to tempt me from Legends, and it isn't the prettiest of the 109 family by some stretch (!), but nice to see a debut away from Duxford. Quite a commitment by Hangar 10!

I would imagine shifting the flying programme from the evening to mid-afternoon might preclude sharing with Legends. Not beyond the realms of possibility of course, but I would assume that whoever flies, say, the Buchon and Blenheim at Legends will also fly something in the Balbo or elsewhere on the programme. Add to that the fact that PV202 and R4118 (both participants at Headcorn 2015) are at Legends as well and I can't envisage there being anything that would make me consider sacking off Duxford.

The last one looked like a nice show that benefitted from good weather, the old regs and shared participants (I want to say the Blenheim, Spitfire Mk.IX and two Buchons flew down from DX). Hopefully this one delivers, even if it isn't on quite such a scale - we desperately need some new events to take hold - but to my mind it seems a fair stretch to consider it any kind of alternative to Legends, given the vast difference in scale, rarity of participants and the fact that in 2015 the only non-Legends-y warbird act was PT, who appears/appeared everywhere.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Elliott Marsh wrote:The last one looked like a nice show that benefitted from good weather, the old regs and shared participants (I want to say the Blenheim, Spitfire Mk.IX and two Buchons flew down from DX).

This is actually something that I've been thinking about with this show too. I've only been to Old Warden post-Shoreham so I'm dubious about that aspect of it.

You are correct about the shared acts btw. The last show also featured twice as many aircraft from the BBMF, although the Spitfires didn't fly.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

The line-up has been announced

https://twitter.com/flightlineuk/status/882185594629173250

A warning for anyone going on Saturday, Sutton Valance village is closed due to a 'waterslide' event

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

grant_w wrote:The line-up has been announced

A warning for anyone going on Saturday, Sutton Valance village is closed due to a 'waterslide' event

Thanks for the warning re Sutton !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

aceyone wrote:

I don't know exactly what roads are closed, I saw a sign last time I visited Headcorn saying "village road closures" but I can't find out any more info.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Are the identities of the various Spitfires and Hurricanes known?

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

grant_w wrote:
aceyone wrote:

I don't know exactly what roads are closed, I saw a sign last time I visited Headcorn saying "village road closures" but I can't find out any more info.

Thanks I'm going via Biddenden now anyway ( picking someone up at Pembury )
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Robin

Post by Robin »

On Sunday 9th July, the annual Memorial Day Parade and Service will be taking place at the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel le Ferne, Folkestone, and it is hoped that a Spitfire and Hurricane from the BBMF will give their usual flypast and display during the ceremony. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

DangerM

Post by DangerM »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Are the identities of the various Spitfires and Hurricanes known?

From their Facebook page,

Supermarine Spitfire MkIX TD314 'St George'
Supermarine Spitfire TrIX NH341 'Elizabeth'
Supermarine Spitfire MkIIa P7350
Hawker Hurricane LF363

My guess based on their running order would be,

SATURDAY
Sioux/scout helicopter
Spitfire/Hurricane P7350 and LF363 arrive.
Tiger/Jungman
ME109
Spitfire x 3 Hurricane x1 P7350, LF363, TD314 and NH341.
T6 Harvard
Model Jets
Spitfire/Hurricane P7350 and LF363 display.
Spitfire/Devon TD314 or NH341 with Devon.
Solo spitfire Finale TD314 or NH341.

SUNDAY
Spitfire/Hurricane P7350 and LF363 depart to Capel.
Spitfire/Hurricane P7350 and LF363 arrive back and display.
Model Jets
Tiger/Jungman
Spitfire x 3 Hurricane x1 P7350, LF363, TD314 and NH341.
Sioux/scout helicopter
ME109
T6 Harvard
Spitfire/Devon TD314 or NH341 with Devon.
Solo spitfire Finale TD314 or NH341.

I may be hopelessly wrong of course and the organiser will announce other aircraft in the next three days, I notice there is no mention of the advertised set piece and pyrotechnics now.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks for the info. Seems very logical to me. :up:

DangerM

Post by DangerM »

On the Headcorn Airfield FB page there are posts saying the 109/Buchon isn't going to fly,

https://www.facebook.com/Headcorn-Aerod ... 901715341/

Anyone know if this is true?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Buchon/109 was supposed to do a DA flight at Duxford today.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

DangerM

Post by DangerM »

Did it arrive? If not I guess that means it won't be flying this weekend.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Didn't turn up so no display authorisation for the pilot.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

BDL

Post by BDL »

Just back from Headcorn. We saw the ME109 - It taxied up and down and then nothing. All in all if I had paid the full price then I would be extremely unhappy, thank the lord for the Groupon offer!

Flying - 3 x Spits, 1 Hurricane, 2 Harvards, 3 Stampes and 2 Tiger Moth - Not sure if the Scout flew as I left at 4:30, it was there though. Displays were excellent, especially the Stampes I thought (even though they hadn't been advertised prior).

Parachute drops continued throughout the day, I get that Headcorn is used for this purpose but they could have stopped for the 2 or so hours advertised for the display.

Someone did say in this thread that they feared it was just going to be about Aero Legends selling flights, although it was prominent on the PA (fair enough) there weren't that many flights and none during the display time.

Communication - Very poor, perhaps I'm used to being spoilt by Ben D at Airshows but there was no advance warning over the PA, no info on display times/schedule and nothing at all about the 109 not flying even though they had made a big song and dance about it on Facebook. Most people were leaving at about 4:30.

It could have been so so much more, a few visitors down from Legends would have been welcomed, being updated on why the 109 didn't fly etc.
Last edited by BDL on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Agreed, i left early as it had been advertised as running from 14:00 to 15:30, but in the end i had other commitments and so when i left at 15:40 I'd only seen 2 actual displays! i appreciate that it was much cheaper than many other shows, but the ridiculous waiting times between every act were very irritating. I enjoyed the tiger moths and stampes but it was a display which should have been much shorter than it was. the BBMF i thought displayed well if a little further away than the Aero Legends spits. The venue at headcorn is lovely and the aircraft were very close during takeoff and it was less crowded than most others, although that may just have been because i was a long way down the fence. It felt a bit life shuttleworth but with the aircraft further away and without the bend.

The commentator seemed to not know anything at all, and couldn't seem to tell the difference between a hurricane and a spit, although this is understandable for most people, its not really very good for the commentator to not know which aircraft were flying when, and also during the stampe display they were several maneuvers out of sync with the what she called a 'solo formation display'. Unsurprisingly the crowd cheered when she said she wouldn't talk during the spitfire and hurricane display!

For me the biggest annoyance was the lack of Buchon/109. To basically have the star act drop out and then not inform the spectators is pretty ridiculous. I understand it is very hard to organise these events but all they needed to do it say on their facebook page that it was not going to fly.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

So it seems this did turn out to be the poor show it threatened to.

Such a shame that they failed/couldn't be bothered to build on the previous event.

As for the so-called "109", while it was clear to enthusiasts that it wouldn't be flying, it is very poor form not to have stated this to the general public.

PanamaMan

Post by PanamaMan »

I'm just glad I didn't fork out extra for the "privileged" viewing positions...
Anything less than 900mm is wide angle