Rolling thunder at Elvington is back!

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
ianf

Rolling thunder at Elvington is back!

Post by ianf »

After a 3 year absence on the 27th August Elvington's live aircraft are once again gracing the runway. Our recently restored and repainted Buccaneer will make a welcome return to the runway as will our Nimrod. First timers to the runway will be two prop aircraft in the shape of our Devon and Dakota. Last but definitely not least Lindy the most complete V bomber left, will be strutting her stuff. So if you need a V bomber fix Elvington is the place to be.

You can find details here.
http://yorkshireairmuseum.org/events/

Oh and no £110 pound to see her run, admission for adults is £12! you also get admission to the museum for that as well. So come and say hi to us.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Nwalch

Re: Rolling thunder at Elvington is back!

Post by Nwalch »

Didn't realise the Devon and Dakota were due down the runway as well. You already had me at the first three :). Any idea what time the first run is?

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianf

Post by ianf »

I don't have the final timings yet, when I do I will let you know. The jets will tend to be the afternoon, with us (Lindy) usually last sometime around 3ish. I forgot to mention we also have two biplanes a SE5 replica and a Port Victoria P.V. Eastchurch Kitten replica doing static engine runs inside the museum. Some aircraft may do 2 runs, we won't we only have one parachute packed.

:smile:

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Bit of a mixed day. After a sprint to the viewing area by the runway when it finally opened (at the opposite end to where all the photographer's were queueing) most of the action seemed to happen in front of the car park rather than on the runway.

After single runs down the runway the Dak (which sounded very ropy) and the Devon both went down the taxiway and did static engine runs in front of the car park rather than on the main runway. The crowd line was also too far back for decent start up shots without resorting to a long lens (seemed more bad planning than a safety issue as the barrier was much closer to the start ups by the car park but unfortunately side on and into the sun).

Thankfully the Buccaneer did a wing lift on the runway and a static blast from the Victor after a very nice parachute breaked run down the runway.

Looked like you have a bit of a problem getting her going Ian.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Some interesting points you make. Nwalch. The Dak did make more than one pass btw only one was high speed. She is very much a learning curve and will improve. I appreciate the popping and banging sounds rough, but honestly it isn't, we have been fine tuning her for some while. The data we gained yesterday will pay dividends. The car park was never intended as a spectator area, in-spite of being told so they remained. Communication is something I agree can be worked on. The enclosure was only designed for forward viewing, so I think that can also be looked at. We are a bit rusty trust me it will get better.

Yes we did have a problem with our Artouste failing to start, frustrating as we know the fault and can sort it. So we fell back on the Stad starter, as fixing it would have taken about 30 mins.