Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 2018

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Costar1198

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 2018

Post by Costar1198 »

BDL wrote:Asked LBHA on twitter about arrivals day and they replied that there isn't one this year. :sad:

Does seem a lot smaller than last year, aircraft participation, the lack of an arrivals day... atleast it's still over two days I guess

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Shame I enjoyed last year. I was happy to just have a day to catch up with photos the local traffic. Have the Friday off so may go down for the day anyway.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Looks an okay line up, am going anyway, just needs some International participation, and some fast jets to be added.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

frank

Post by frank »

tankbuster81 wrote:Looks an okay line up, am going anyway, just needs some International participation, and some fast jets to be added.

Just read that back to yourself :dizzy:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

frank wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:Looks an okay line up, am going anyway, just needs some International participation, and some fast jets to be added.

Just read that back to yourself :dizzy:

Its been a long weekend, i fail to see the point you are making?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Indeed. Tankbuster's post makes sense to me, and I agree! Last year was my first time at Biggin Hill and I loved it - just hoping we get some more fast jets and i'll be glad to attend again.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

MiG_Eater wrote:Indeed. Tankbuster's post makes sense to me, and I agree! Last year was my first time at Biggin Hill and I loved it - just hoping we get some more fast jets and i'll be glad to attend again.

:clap:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Latest newsletter features no information about aircraft, only about a "Hollywood Battle of Britain re-enactment pyrotechnic spectacular" :dizzy:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I was so excited at first as the photo had a picture of a Tornado on it (albeit flying into the distance) but alas, it's just a load of big bangs!

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Really disappointed so far with this line up. It's very generic. Little or no imagination gone into booking anything.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Just had an email confirming the Red Arrows confirmation... I thought they'd confirmed months ago!

Come on Biggin Hill guys... let's see some fast jets again!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Ryan. wrote:Really disappointed so far with this line up. It's very generic. Little or no imagination gone into booking anything.

Looks like it peaked last year, and now we are back to the regular unimaginitive line -up. Fast Jets, and International participation needed.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

There were very specific reasons as to why Biggin attracted a great line -up last year, mainly as result of the 100th anniversary of the airfield. I think you will need to manage your expectations for 2018 and accept that international participation is unlikely.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

BDL wrote:Asked LBHA on twitter about arrivals day and they replied that there isn't one this year. :sad:

I get the LBHA newsletters but frankly unless they are leaving announcements till the last moment so far it's certainly light on content as opposed to last year

ted633

Post by ted633 »

But last year, as said a couple of posts up, was an exception for the Biggin 100, not the rule. This years line-up isn't any different (in terms of type of displays) than the previous years of BHFoF. (No international participants, no fast jets etc)

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

ted633 wrote:But last year, as said a couple of posts up, was an exception for the Biggin 100, not the rule. This years line-up isn't any different (in terms of type of displays) than the previous years of BHFoF. (No international participants, no fast jets etc)

Although that is true, it's slaps of "last year was really special this year isn't but it'll cost you the same to get in"

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Witchcraft24 wrote:There were very specific reasons as to why Biggin attracted a great line -up last year, mainly as result of the 100th anniversary of the airfield. I think you will need to manage your expectations for 2018 and accept that international participation is unlikely.

& on that basis my 'participation is unlikely' too! I'm unlikely to manage to get out of bed for the current offering, much less 'manage my expectations' :wink:

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Ryan. wrote:
Although that is true, it's slaps of "last year was really special this year isn't but it'll cost you the same to get in"

Or is it more "last year was a bargain and back to normality this year"? :hide:

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Do we even know whether international participants were invited this year? My thinking was that with the RAF100 theme, they decided to focus specifically on domestic/British types?

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

No stand out acts for me this year, No Gripen, F16, or Mil 24 to wet my appetite for going in.
Would have been great to get a Typhoon Display or F-35 flyover as part of the RAF 100 year.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Yes this is a real shame! But as I said before, last year was my first time at Biggin - and it felt like i'd uncovered a hidden gem - but I guess i'd always decided to pass it by in previous years due to line-ups like this one.

Oh well!

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Surprised they haven't a Typhoon display ,if, as in previous years it's based there for Eastbourne :question:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The organisers have said in replies to social media posts there is no Typhoon display this year. It is based elsewhere this year.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

clearstone wrote:The organisers have said in replies to social media posts there is no Typhoon display this year. It is based elsewhere this year.

Ah right,thanks for that !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

From the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar Ltd
Spitfire MKIX TA805
Spitfire TR9 MJ627
Spitfire T8 MT818
Spitfire MkXVI RW382
Spitfire MKXVI TB885 which flew for the first time post restoration on Saturday, this will be it's first display.
Spitfire TR9 ML407 Air Leasing
Spitfire MkIX MH434 The Old Flying Machine Company
Spitfire MKXI PL965 from Hangar 11 Collection
Hurricane AE977 Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar Ltd
Hurricane P2902 Air leasing
Buchon BF-109 "Yellow 7" Air Leasing
Harvard TBC
3 new spits for me may have to attend
Thomas