How does Gilze Rijen rate..

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
tankbuster

How does Gilze Rijen rate..

Post by tankbuster »

...as the location for next years Dutch AF Show. I seem to remember someone on this forum ranking the Dutch locations
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: How does Gilze Rijen rate..

Post by Skyflash »

Better than Volkel, not as good as Leeuwarden.

Nice and easy to get to though, motorway all the way from Hamsterdam.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Skyflash wrote:Better than Volkel, not as good as Leeuwarden.

Nice and easy to get to though, motorway all the way from Hamsterdam.

Thanks, maybe better to wait for a Leeuwarden year then
Trevor C

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I prefer the sun's position of Gilze Rijen though, in the back throughout the day thanks to its 02/20 runway. At Leeuwarden, the sun comes to the side in the afternoon making for some bad light on one side. No static in front of you compared to Volkel. Nice dark runway surface. The static layout at Gilze is not as good though.
Last edited by Chrisse on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MigF4

Post by MigF4 »

Gilze has nice ops for the FLY-IN if the wind comes from the right direction..... :cool:
Cheers,
Mick

The sky is no limit.....visit: www.mbaviation-images.com

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Chrisse wrote:I prefer the sun's position of Gilze Rijen though, in the back throughout the day thanks to its 02/20 runway. At Leeuwarden, the sun comes to the side in the afternoon making for some bad light on one side. No static in front of you compared to Volkel. Nice dark runway surface. The static layout at Gilze is not as good though.

Now I'm swinging back in favour of this one
Trevor C

sg-andel

Post by sg-andel »

You wont regret !.
Easyest airbase in Holland to visit as it is close to Belgium border (say 3 hours drive from Calais).
For flying in whit Ryanair Eindoven is some 45 minutes away.
Flyin display sun in the back all day a lot of helicopter movements (i hope).
Static is crap for clean photo,s as you can walk around the aircraft.
But photography on runway is good !.
So see you in Gilze Rijen 2014.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I’d put it with crap static from a photography point of view if it was because people had a great chance to get up close and personal. At least somebody benefits unlike the dreaded Fairford blue and white cones, why?, why?
Trevor C

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Hi guys,

Just booked our flight and accomodation for this one. I've been to Leeuwarden, and I'm 100% sure this show won't be a letdown.
I know it's early, but could you help me out with some info?

- Where are the parking areas and gates to the show? Is there access to the base from the north (I guess not...)?
- How far is the runway from the crowdline (e.g. compared to Leeuwarden)?
- We'll arive on Friday morning, our plane lands at 8 am in EIN, we'll quickly pick up our rental car, and if all goes well, we could be at the base arund 9:00-9:30. Parking and buses to the base were very well organised in Leeuwarden. Do they use the same system in Gilze? (OK, I know you're not fortune tellers, but based on the previous shows...)
- I guess the crowd tends to be smaller on the Friday. Am I right?
- We'll also have the Sunday, we have to be back in Eindhoven around 5 pm. Is it worth to stick around for departures? Where is the best spot for that, which is the usual take-off direction?

Thanks a lot!

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

These shots will have no doubt been posted on here at the time
A few photos of the Gilze show to let you see the potential

http://www.vlnphotography.co.uk/glize_r ... _2010.html
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Leadfoot wrote:Hi guys,

Just booked our flight and accomodation for this one. I've been to Leeuwarden, and I'm 100% sure this show won't be a letdown.
I know it's early, but could you help me out with some info?

- Where are the parking areas and gates to the show? Is there access to the base from the north (I guess not...)?
- How far is the runway from the crowdline (e.g. compared to Leeuwarden)?
- We'll arive on Friday morning, our plane lands at 8 am in EIN, we'll quickly pick up our rental car, and if all goes well, we could be at the base arund 9:00-9:30. Parking and buses to the base were very well organised in Leeuwarden. Do they use the same system in Gilze? (OK, I know you're not fortune tellers, but based on the previous shows...)
- I guess the crowd tends to be smaller on the Friday. Am I right?
- We'll also have the Sunday, we have to be back in Eindhoven around 5 pm. Is it worth to stick around for departures? Where is the best spot for that, which is the usual take-off direction?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, I can answer some things for you :smile:
- The parking areas are usually in farmers fields around the airbase. Some of them allow direct walking access to the base, whereas other have a bus shuttle service. Traffic people will guide you to the parking places, so you don't have to think about it yourself.
- Distance to the runway....Hmmm...don't know to be honest.
- From Eindhoven, you will most likely come in via the A2 and then the A58. The event will be nicely signed and you will have no trouble getting to the show. The parking and busses are always very well organzized.
- Usually on Friday the crowd is a bit less. But of course it will depend on the weather too. In the Netherlands the weather can be very changeable, so keep an eye out for the forecast
- Some urgent departures are normally done after the show on Saturday, but not a lot will be going on Sunday I think. The big rush will be on Monday I guess. Check http://www.scramble.nl/airfield-guide/gilze-rijen for info on where to spot. There is no way of knowing the wind direction I'm afraid. You will have to check the forecasts.
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2023 | Belgian Airforce Days 2023 | Frysian Flag 2023

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

RichPittman wrote:These shots will have no doubt been posted on here at the time
A few photos of the Gilze show to let you see the potential

http://www.vlnphotography.co.uk/glize_r ... _2010.html

Thanks for posting, nice shots. Glad I'm booked up for this one.
Trevor C

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Distance to the runway is fine - about on a par with Waddington - but it does get very busy on Saturday, with a crowdline many people deep. I don't remember much in the way of foreground obstructions and it's mainly a tree-line backdrop, so the potential's there for decent take off shots.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Leadfoot wrote:Is there access to the base from the north (I guess not...)?
Access is from the West and East. No legal access from the North for visitors.
henk99 wrote:- Distance to the runway....Hmmm...don't know to be honest.
Not much different than Leeuwarden, closer than Volkel
henk99 wrote:- Some urgent departures are normally done after the show on Saturday, but not a lot will be going on Sunday I think.
Normally post show the hosting bases will open for a few hours on Sunday for aircraft that want/need to depart. Best option is to check http://forum.scramble.nl/viewforum.php?f=17 if there will be a topic created about the Sunday nearer to the day, or check during the show with the local spottersgroup GRAS. I would be surprised if they don't have a presence at the show.
Pablo wrote:I don't remember much in the way of foreground obstructions and it's mainly a tree-line backdrop, so the potential's there for decent take off shots.
You'll have the screens near the intersection of the runways.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

aviodromefriend

Breitling Jet team announced their 2014 schedule: http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/agenda.html

aviodromefriend

Some that haven't been mentioned here yet :shock:

Swiss Hornet
Spain's Patrulla Aspa
Reds
and something to do about a type reaching some 50th anniversary. 3* Alouette III flying (I guess these will do the same thing as they always do, keeping an eye from above and ferry VIPS), 4* static in a tent (normally these are serving their days as instructional airframes and are not often seen in that role) and 1 should perform a 8 minute display. To help in this party Austria should also send one of the same type.

st24

Post by st24 »

aviodromefriend wrote:Some that haven't been mentioned here yet :shock:

Swiss Hornet
Spain's Patrulla Aspa
Reds
and something to do about a type reaching some 50th anniversary. 3* Alouette III flying (I guess these will do the same thing as they always do, keeping an eye from above and ferry VIPS), 4* static in a tent (normally these are serving their days as instructional airframes and are not often seen in that role) and 1 should perform a 8 minute display. To help in this party Austria should also send one of the same type.

An 8 minute Alouette III display?!... :tumbleweed:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Markie

Post by Markie »

Went to the last Gilze Rijen show a few years back. Really easy to get to from Calais, fast roads, about 3 hrs from memory. Stayed in Breda which is a short drive (20mins) from the base, great mix of nationalities in the bar watching the footie (Euro's I think). Straight in without any problems. One day was a scorcher, second wet and miserable. Really good varied show and definitely recommend it. Left before the end on Saturday and caught the last late ferry back.

By the way, I thought the Dutch Open Dagen was going to be every 2 years?

aviodromefriend

Markie wrote:By the way, I thought the Dutch Open Dagen was going to be every 2 years?
No. Twice every three years. But as long as the every two years will pop up on the different forums, the MoD might get an idea for the next round of cuts...

aviodromefriend

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

aviodromefriend wrote:Info about the spottersday: http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=104837

Thanks for the heads up - hotel booked, just Channel Tunnel fares to do now :)

aviodromefriend

Well, there seems to be something out now officially: http://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/luchtmachtdagen/inhoud/zien-doen-en-beleven has a listing of particpants. For those that don't understand Dutch: Vliegshow translates into English as Flying Display.

st24

Post by st24 »

Updated list seems to ahve a Greek Herc in support of the Zeus demo who are bringing 2 jets - quite a rarity!! :up: Where Aspa on originally?? :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

aviodromefriend

st24 wrote:Updated list seems to ahve a Greek Herc in support of the Zeus demo who are bringing 2 jets - quite a rarity!! :up:
The Greek should be like the Italians always do at RIAT, depart before the show and return when it is finished, at least that is what was said at scramble by someone that has close connections with the organisers.
st24 wrote:Where Aspa on originally?? :confused:
I posted about it at the end of February :wink:

aviodromefriend

Somebody already mentioned the Polish Fulcrum for static?