Axalp - A Guide

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Vixen1

Axalp - A Guide

Post by Vixen1 »

I’ve attended Axalp twice and did a bit of research before going the first time, but it would have helped me a lot if I’d had an easy reference guide. Well, here it is.

When
It’s usually held in the first full week of October with the show days on Wednesday and Thursday. Full practice takes place on Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday.

Getting there
Axalp is east of Interlaken in the Bernese Oberland of Switzerland. It’s about 5 miles south of the village of Brienz and 5 miles west of Meiringen town. Motorways are excellent from Geneva, about 2.5 hours by car. The trains are really good too.

Where to stay
You can find accommodation in any of these places but remember that Switzerland is more expensive than Britain. Accommodation ranges from Bed and Breakfast to a very good standard hotel. You’ll need to book early as many people book up year on year.

What to take
You need to be prepared for all weathers and for some strenuous hill walking. While the climbs look daunting, you do not have to be superfit to do them, just take your time.
Here are some ideas: -
 Clothing in layers – temp. varies from 0 to 26 degrees centigrade
 A spare t-shirt so you can take off the one that will be drenched in sweat at the top
 Energy bars/Fruit/some food
 Water
 Good walking boots
 A couple of walking poles – the paths are almost non-existent and these will help you a lot
 Backpack for cameras
 Waterpoof/windproof jacket
 A torch or head-lamp – you may start walking in the dark before 6.30am
 Money – Swiss Francs (SwFr)

Costs in 2009
Car Park 5 SwFr
Chair Lift 10 SwFr

Timings
On show days the first F18s start practice between 8.30 am and 9.00am and can continue off and on until about 11.00am. Helicopter activity continues right up until the show starts and afterwards.
The show proper starts at 2.00pm and lasts for around 90 minutes.
Be prepared for everything to stop at any time if the cloud closes in from over the mountain ridge.

Getting up there
Car is the easiest way, Axalp is well signposted from the main road outside Brienz and you’ll pay for the car park at the bottom of the mountain. The earlier you get up there, the closer you get to the village when parking. Go carefull in the dark though limited parking and on the walks as there are some sheer drops. Note: - getting there early is best but be prepared to wait around for an hour or so when you get back to the car as the car parks lower down the mountain will empty first.
A photobus runs from Brienz station to Axalp but can be oversubscribed.
Some visitors also arrive by taxi.

From Axalp you can elect to walk all the way up or get the chairlift (next to the top car park) which takes you up part of the way, I’d recommend that you take that option as it’s quicker and you’ll save a lot of energy. The chairlift is only in operation at certain times/days, it's certainly available on both show days, it's advertised as starting at 7.00am but it is usually well before that.
The track/road going up from Axalp is closed during the week of the show but it is possible to get a pass/permit for days before the event and park way further up to the valley to the west of the range.
See the map for the options: -
Points 1, 2 and 3 on the map are referred to below.
Peter Steehouwers Airshow Action http://www.airshowaction.com/axalp07/page1.html has a link to Google Earth showing the locations.

I have not walked all the way up but from getting on the chairlift to getting to point 3 can take up to 2 hours. Refreshments/food is available at the top of the chairlift. From here to Point 3 you’ll need to be very careful as it’s quite hard walking over fairly rough ground and then a very steep scramble up to Point 3.
Image Top of the Chairlift as seen from Point 3
Image The trail along the mountainside
Image The intial climb towards Point 3
Image Nearing the single width trail, rope pull and temporary footbridge
Image The trail up to Point 2 as seen from Point 3
Image Point 3 as seen from Point 2
Image Point 1 as seen from Point 2
Image Point 2 from Point 1
Image Points 2 and 3 as seen from Point 1

Where to stand
From point 3 the sun is right in your face when looking up the valley but can be good for DSOs and aircraft turning into the valley. It’s probably best to press on and in 30-40 minutes to point 1 next to the control tower and then most of your shots will be west along the valley away from the sun. Note that the path between points 2 and 1 closes during the shooting practice and the full show. Food, drink and portaloos are available at point 1.

Point 2 can be really good in the afternoon as you can shoot up and down the valley although the sun is in your face for DSOs.

I used ISOs between 400 and 800 mostly because of the shadow of the mountain and the mountain itself which can become a very dark background. Shooting is quite challenging as the light varies wildly from right to left and from the valley to the sky. Planning your shots is essential as you can’t keep changing you settings during fast passes.
Lens - A zoom is probably best with 200-400mm plus needed. I’ve used a 80-300mm VR lens which was great except for the shots of the aircraft climbing over the mountain tops.

Getting Down
Most people walk all of the way down as there is usually a huge queue at the chairlift and there is a big bottleneck getting down from point 3. Carefully walking down the steep slope to the valley in front of you from points 1 and 2 is the best option. Walk along the valley floor and join with the tarmac road which winds it’s way down to the village of Axalp. There is a restaurant in Axalp that serves food and drink both inside and out where you can spend your time until the car parks begin to empty.
Image Exiting down into the valley in front of you at the end of the show
Image Looking back up to wards Point 1

I’ve attached some photos that will help you orientate your self throughout the day.

I hope you find this guide useful and have a great time.
Last edited by Vixen1 on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Red Dragon

Re: Axalp - A Guide

Post by Red Dragon »

Thanks for taking the time to do this guide :smile: , as much as i'd love to do Axalp, it looks like I'll be only able to go to the Mach Loop for the next year or so.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Great guide, Ive been dreaming about Axalp for years now, guess Ill have to start getting into shape if Iam to climb all the way up there :P

Martin the Martian

Post by Martin the Martian »

Very nice guide, speaking as one who was there this year.

All I would add is that while the climbs look daunting, you do not have to be superfit to do them. There were plenty of people at the top who look like they should not have been able to get there. Having said that, be prepared for some hard work.
50 Shades of Grey: sounds like a paint chart for modern jets

T_J

Post by T_J »

Nice guide, Tony.

I made the trip up last year and found the Google Earth link at the following very useful. It gives you a great perspective for the various locations that you have highlighted.

http://www.airshowaction.com/axalp07/page1.html

TJ

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

Thanks for the comments guys:-
Martin the Martian wrote:There were plenty of people at the top who look like they should not have been able to get there.

I was probably one of them. :grin:

Seriously, if there is anything that those who have been can add in to improve the guide them 'PM' me and I'll be happy to edit the post.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Excellent guide, this is what makes this forum so damn good, members creating such detailed info on events. :clap:

Copper2

Post by Copper2 »

Great guide there.

Might be worth pointing out that if you want to get up there early each Morning and i think the Days before the show?
The chairlift is only in operation at certain times/Days.
It is possible to get a pass/permit for Days before the event and park way further up the track.
Go carefull though limited parking and some sheer drops in the dark.

The guy i went with in 2006 was so unfit i carried his ton of camera gear to the top otherwise he would never have made it :grin:
His waighed more than mine easily :roll:

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

Hi Guys...

I've updated the guide with your really useful comments and tips. Thanks for your help.

davedogman

Post by davedogman »

Just wanted to say thanks :clap:

viper28

Post by viper28 »

Hi Guys,

Work friend and seasoned Axalp man Daniel has also done a handy guide to Axalp that might be worth book marking fro future reference:

http://airshow-reviews.com/axalp.html
Cheers Simon

You can't beat a good Canon shot