AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
PeterR

AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Post by PeterR »

After seeing the line up in 2009 I should be going to Airpower next year.

Can anyone who's been before share any experiences / advice? Also what are the best flight offers people have found? :smile:

Kevin Martin

Re: AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Post by Kevin Martin »

I was there in 2009 and had a great time. Zeltweg is a small(ish) town and offers only a handful of hotels that will be booked up by the Airforce/sponsors etc. However, there are plenty of campsites very close (2/3mins walk) to the end of the runway that provide a convenient place to stay. It cost about 6 euro's a night per person if I remember correctly. There are quite a few bars for the evening's entertainment and a good Chinese restraunt is in easy walking distance.

Flight wise, prices are anyones guess but you will find Ryanair flights from Stanstead to Graz (45mins drive) the most convenient I think, however Bratislava/Vienna wont be to bad and have more frequent flights too and from.

The show itself is on a Friday and a Saturday, with most arrivals on the Wednesday. When I arrived on the Wednesday in 2009 I just missed a HuAF Mig29 arrive!

For photo's you will not go wrong as you have the light behind you untill late afternoon as well as some spectacular scenary in front of you. Flying aircraft taxi past right in front of you and the runway is relativly close too.

Also the show is free, although it does attract a large crowd over the 2 days so getting to the front is for the early starters!

It's way to early to know whats going to be there yet but with it clashing with Waddington's show I think it will be a safe bet to think the likes of the Czech's, Slovaks, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Hungarians, Swiss, Turks etc will probably choose Austria over the UK.

Cheers;

Kevin
http://www.flickr.com/kevinmartin1/sets

JJC

Post by JJC »

Kevin Martin wrote:I was there in 2009 and had a great time. Zeltweg is a small(ish) town and offers only a handful of hotels that will be booked up by the Airforce/sponsors etc. However, there are plenty of campsites very close (2/3mins walk) to the end of the runway that provide a convenient place to stay. It cost about 6 euro's a night per person if I remember correctly. There are quite a few bars for the evening's entertainment and a good Chinese restraunt is in easy walking distance.

Flight wise, prices are anyones guess but you will find Ryanair flights from Stanstead to Graz (45mins drive) the most convenient I think, however Bratislava/Vienna wont be to bad and have more frequent flights too and from.

The show itself is on a Friday and a Saturday, with most arrivals on the Wednesday. When I arrived on the Wednesday in 2009 I just missed a HuAF Mig29 arrive!

For photo's you will not go wrong as you have the light behind you untill late afternoon as well as some spectacular scenary in front of you. Flying aircraft taxi past right in front of you and the runway is relativly close too.

Also the show is free, although it does attract a large crowd over the 2 days so getting to the front is for the early starters!

It's way to early to know whats going to be there yet but with it clashing with Waddington's show I think it will be a safe bet to think the likes of the Czech's, Slovaks, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Hungarians, Swiss, Turks etc will probably choose Austria over the UK.

Cheers;

Kevin

Hope Waddington gets its fair share of participation!

Oh wait......who am I kidding?!?! :roll:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

JJC wrote:
Kevin Martin wrote:It's way to early to know whats going to be there yet but with it clashing with Waddington's show I think it will be a safe bet to think the likes of the Czech's, Slovaks, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Hungarians, Swiss, Turks etc will probably choose Austria over the UK.

Cheers;

Kevin

Hope Waddington gets its fair share of participation!

Oh wait......who am I kidding?!?! :roll:

I won't mention that the French have a show at Luxeil that weekend too then! :ninja:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Wouldn't be so sure about the Czechs, they have a Waddington connection. If I had to guess, I'd think the Belgians and Dutch are probably looking at a Zeltweg-Luxueil combo, much as they did with Zeltweg-Reims in 2009, and also because they're likely to be over in the UK at several other shows. Hungary would be a given for Zeltweg I suppose, the 2 countries have a minor historic connection after all. Oh, please, that gorgeous Hungarian Hind with that mountain in the background :drool:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

I went to this show in 2009 and loved it, and am definitely going back next year. Highly recommended, and as Chrisse says the backdrop is just gorgeous, the most spectacular in the whole of the European airshow scene. I'd recommend Graz for accommodation, a lovely city in its own right and only a 40-odd minute drive from Hinterstoisser airbase.

I hope they get that mad Russian flying boat back next year...! :drool:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

JJC

Post by JJC »

And so.......my Airshow jelousy sets in..... :wat: Lol

Just out of interest, what Russian flying boat? :smile:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Kevin Martin

Post by Kevin Martin »

JJC wrote:And so.......my Airshow jelousy sets in..... :wat: Lol

Just out of interest, what Russian flying boat? :smile:

This one....
114 by Kevin Martin 1, on Flickr

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

That's the one - a truly magnificent beast:

Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Griffon_301

Post by Griffon_301 »

thats not a russian flying boat, thats a converted Dornier Do-24 flying boat of WW2 vintage-so to say the German Catalina :)
"Verkaafts mei Gwand, I foahr in Himmel"
(inscription on the FW-190D of Lt. Sachsenberg)

The Flying Barrel

Post by The Flying Barrel »

Thinking about this show for next year, I have a couple of questions to ask - Are there any dedicated buses running to the show from the surrounding area? Or alternatively is there any parking on base?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Griffon_301 wrote:thats not a russian flying boat, thats a converted Dornier Do-24 flying boat of WW2 vintage-so to say the German Catalina :)

Aye, but it lives in Russia, hence my description of it.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Kevin Martin wrote:I was there in 2009 and had a great time. Zeltweg is a small(ish) town and offers only a handful of hotels that will be booked up by the Airforce/sponsors etc. However, there are plenty of campsites very close (2/3mins walk) to the end of the runway that provide a convenient place to stay. It cost about 6 euro's a night per person if I remember correctly. There are quite a few bars for the evening's entertainment and a good Chinese restraunt is in easy walking distance.

Cheers;

Kevin

I thought after last year the Belgian and waddo orgainsers had come to some agreement as to the sharing of assets for future displays, so fingers crossed for them to choose Waddo over Zeltweg.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

This show is on the list of shows that Im considering for next year, the backdrop looks incredible, and if the list of participating aircraft is only half as good as it was in 2009, then Im going ;)

TUGGIE

Post by TUGGIE »

Well worth a visit.I've done it twice now,once by minibus staying in Salzburg, the other by air staying in Graz. Car Parking is off base in the adjacent fields, so if you've got a lot of kit to carry an early arrival might be recommended.

I was impressed by the number of coaches that had come from Hungary and Slovenia for the show.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Chris G wrote:I thought after last year the Belgian and waddo orgainsers had come to some agreement as to the sharing of assets for future displays, so fingers crossed for them to choose Waddo over Zeltweg.

That would have been to share the items between the two shows when they were happening over the same weekend, at least was my understanding...

Iain
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

The show was often held on the same days as other events, usually some participants choose to display on both shows or just on one day. The Reds for example have alwas been on one day only when they were in Zeltweg.

""...and if the list of participating aircraft is only half as good as it was in 2009, then Im going""

Interesting, I thought the line-up in 2009 was nothing compared to previous years, mainly because the show was announced very late. Should be better next year from what I have heard is planned!

If anyone plans to attend the fly-in and training day the 'Flatschacher Strasse' is the best place to be. Even on the show days you can go to this road and stand right below the approach path to avoid the usually very very large crowds. The place is within walking distance from the village and parking areas, just look for it on google maps.

""Are there any dedicated buses running to the show from the surrounding area? Or alternatively is there any parking on base?""

I always arrived in Zeltweg by car and never had any problems, the organisation is usually quite professional. As always with such big events being early is neccessary to avoid traffic jams.
Parking on the base is only possible for military/press/vip, usually the fields around the airbase are used for parking. You will be guided there after leaving the motorway. While the show itsself is free a fee will be charged at the entrance of the parking, 7 Euros was the price in 2009. Busses connect the parking sites with the entrance gate, but to avoid waiting times I usuall walk (10-30min walk depending on your position).
Also special trains are usually installed and free shuttles from the station to the airbase.
You will find all information on the website once it goes online.

Oh, and talking about Russian 'waterplanes', I'd prefer this one as seen in Zeltweg at the year 2000 show:

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Latest indication of participants - main source http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=94139428347&v=wall#!/event.php?eid=323378874425

Austrian AF
Typhoon
SAAB-105OE (+RF-26 Tiger camo 40years)
Pilatus PC-7 (+3H-FG Viper camo)
SA-316B Alouette III
Bell OH-58B Kiowa (+3C-OK Kiowa camo)
Agusta-Bell 212
S-70 Black Hawk
Pilatus PC-6
C-130 Mk.1P Hercules

Swiss AF
Patrouille Suisse,
F/A-18C Hornet

Dutch AF
F-16MLU Fighting Falcon

Saudi AF
Saudi Hawks

Flying Bulls http://www.flyingbulls.com/#/en/Terminal/Upcoming-Events/:
Douglas DC-6B
F4U-4 Corsair
MBB BO-105CB
P-38L Lightning
PC-6 Turbo Porter
Bell TAH-1F Cobra
Bell 47 G - 3B 41
Alpha Jet
PT-17 Stearman
Cessna 208B Caravan Amphibian
B-25J Mitchell

Breitling http://www.superconstellation.org/Content/showContent.aspx?type=news-flash&id=762
Super Constellation

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Oooft! The Connie! :clap:

A cracking start, here's to plenty more updates like that over the next few months.

st24

Post by st24 »

flybynight wrote:Latest indication of participants -

Or, alternatively, latest indication of Waddington no shows... :smile:

flybynight wrote:Douglas DC-6B
F4U-4 Corsair
MBB BO-105CB
P-38L Lightning
PC-6 Turbo Porter
Bell TAH-1F Cobra
Bell 47 G - 3B 41
Alpha Jet
PT-17 Stearman
B-25J Mitchell

An impressive list of aeroplanes, all completely ruined... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Crossbow

Post by Crossbow »

Spotter-Package now online:

http://www.airpower.gv.at/spotter/spotter-package/

Prices:
1 Tages Package Fr. 01.07.11 Euro 60.-
1 Tages Package Sa. 02.07.11 Euro 60.-
2 Tage Package Fr. 01.07 – Sa. 02.07.11 Euro 90.-
5 Tage Package Mi. 29.06 – So. 03.07.11 Euro 180.-

Limited to 450 People!

Hans
HJ Breuer

emkey83

Post by emkey83 »

Another participant is the Breitling JetTeam.

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Turkish stars added http://www.turkyildizlari.tsk.tr/DetayGoster_MENU_EN.asp?MENU=Gunceltakvim_EN

and
swiss tiger hunter
french alpha jet
T6 formation
Musger MG 19a Golden Eagle
SG-38

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

And Belgian, Dutch, Danish and Norwegian F-16 have been added.
Last edited by Chrisse on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Irish and Slovenian PC-9s confirmed.