AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
sebcoe

Re: AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Post by sebcoe »

Tony (vixen1) and I are visiting the show for the first time this year, we'll be there both show days. Just wondering if any of the locals/regulars could post any tips based on prior experience... e.g. what time to get there? best place head for from a photography point of view? Quality/availability/cost of refreshments etc?
There's also a chance we might get to the area late pm/early evening on the Thursday... what sort of time do the practice/arrivals normally go on till??
All survival tips and general information gratefully appreciated..!
Cheers in advance
Steve

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Hey Steve, I have done all shows in Zeltweg so far (all without spotter ticket) so here are a few answers.

sebcoe wrote: e.g. what time to get there?

As usual with big events the early bird catches the worm. Airpower usually is very very crowded, especially on Saturday and traffic jams around the base form in the mornings already. That means if you want to get clean static shots or stand in the first row for the flying you must be very early. Gates open at 7 o'clock in the morning, flying starts at 9.

sebcoe wrote:best place head for from a photography point of view?

Anywhere along the front line! You will be able to take take-off/landing shots from there with the mountains and hills in the back, sun is behind you all day except the very late afternoon. Also there is a taxiway very close to the public which most show acts use after landing, this offers good possibilities. The demo including the Austrian choppers is also best shot from the very front as the choppers land or hover close to the ground when they drop the troops, you need a clear view for this. The perfect spot depends on what you are after. I usually place myself in show center at least on one day to get the crossovers, splits, and so on.
90% of the aircraft take off and land from your right hand side to the left, it is up to you to figure out the best position to get rotation and climb-out photos, again this depends on what you want. Just one hint: don't stand to close to one of the speakers as they were really loud last time!
The only other chance to get pictures of aircraft taxiing or rotating are a few elevated areas on the western side of the airfield (inside the showground). These hills are easy to find and offer a good overview and clear view to the runway (only some videowalls disturb the view in between) but are further away from the runway. I would prefer standing in front unless you have a huge lens. This area is also very popular and will be occupied early!
Outside the showground there is a great spot at the 26 runway end. The location is along the road 'Flatschacherstrasse'. The road will be closed for traffic on showdays but you can walk along it and get really close to approaches and some display flights will be right overhead there. With a stepladder you can also take pictures of the aircraft lining up for take-off. This is also the place to be for arrivals and trainings on Thursday.

sebcoe wrote:Quality/availability/cost of refreshments etc?

Availablity is absolutely no problem although queues start to build in front of the facilities around noon. So if you are clever eat early or buy in advance in order not to miss anything flying. There were plenty of chances to buy burgers, sausages, drinks, ice cream,....you will notice the strong presence of one of the main sponsors Red Bull but of course also other drinks, including alcoholic beverages, were offered. Food quality was pretty good last time but this may vary depending on where you buy!? I would describe the costs as normal, Austria is not really a cheap country but the organisers are definitely not trying to compensate the free entry by selling overpriced food and drinks.

sebcoe wrote:. what sort of time do the practice/arrivals normally go on till??

Hard to say, just go to the spot discribed above and see what happens. I was there on Thursday in 2005 and got the Frecce and PAF training very late in the afternoon, close to sunset.

sebcoe wrote:All survival tips and general information gratefully appreciated..!

Not much more to say really, just keep in mind that the crowd will be huge, make sure to find a good position, and most of all enjoy the show! The organisation is very good usually and soldiers and volunteers are helpful and friendly. Not all of them speak proper English but in general you should not have a problem with communication.

Check this review for more info: http://airshow-reviews.com/airpower.html

-Philip

Kevin Martin

Post by Kevin Martin »

Just to add to what Phillip has said, on both the Wednesday and Thursday evenings in 2009 practices were going on till about 8pm. I recalll watching an Italian Typhoon practice in near darkness where you could watch the burner flame flying round the sky and not much else!

Kevin

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Anyone noted the Me 262 as participant?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

A few adds to Philip's quite comprehensive description:
Some prices from 2009 - Ice cream cone: 2 EUR, 0.25 Red Bull: 2 EUR, Schnitzelburger: 4 EUR.

As he said, the most important thing is to arrive as early as possible. In 2009, I planned a one day trip from Hungary (never again!). There was some delay (detours due to floods), so I reached the end of the traffic jam by 9, and entered the base around 10:40. There's nothing worse than hearing aircraft from your car, but not being able to see them. :wall:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Leadfoot wrote:There's nothing worse than hearing aircraft from your car, but not being able to see them.
What about being stuck in traffic in a coach, and the driver telling you a bit of flying aircraft can already be seen for short time-intervals, only to find out the six-ship Draken formation everyone was looking forward to was up already (2003).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Can anyone tell me where can I leave the car, if I go to Flatschacher Straße as Philip mentioned? Thanks!

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

aviodromefriend wrote:Anyone noted the Me 262 as participant?

Nice, it's not on the provisional flying programme yet, let's wait and see if it flies. :drool:

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Leadfoot wrote:Can anyone tell me where can I leave the car, if I go to Flatschacher Straße as Philip mentioned? Thanks!

Last time the road was closed for traffic from Wednesday on so you can not drive directly to the spot near the runway.(same this year I was told) But I was always able to find a parking spot near the beginning of the Flatschacherstrasse somewhere along Triester Strasse. Usually there is police around somewhere, if thats the case ask them where to park. Otherwise obey the 'no parking' signs and you will be fine.

On showdays just use the regular parking in the fields, take the east exit on the motorway to be on the right side of the airfield from the start. Depending on when you arrive and where they guide you to park it will be 10 to 30mins to walk to the desired spot. I walked straight through the parking fields and under the approach light system last time but you can also walk along the roads - just use some common sense and you'll find your way.
Fields 12+13 would be perfect on the parking map:
http://www.airpower.gv.at/programm/lageplan/

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Quite late but here is a list of arrivals and trainings for today:
http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=60

The Saudi EFs come in from Warton. Also The ME262 will likely fly, display training in Manching is in progress right now. Another mystery solved: the Mi-24 is from the Czech Rep.!

Bartek

Post by Bartek »

Polish MiG will rather not fly....:(

Macc

Post by Macc »

Bartek wrote:Polish MiG will rather not fly....:(

Has it cancelled all displays this year, including Yeovilton?

Bartek

Post by Bartek »

You know - it is really hard to predict...
Yesterday one of them was scheduled for Swidwin...Today all canceled...

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Thanks for the info Bartek, sad news about the Polish MiG. Will it be present at all?
Whats the reason, why are the Polish MiG displays not reliable?

Macc

Post by Macc »

p2philip wrote:Thanks for the info Bartek, sad news about the Polish MiG. Will it be present at all?
Whats the reason, why are the Polish MiG displays not reliable?

I believe that one has already arrived, for static.

Bartek

Post by Bartek »

p2philip wrote:Whats the reason, why are the Polish MiG displays not reliable?

Yesterday it was really hard to point out what is the reason....
Static one arrived(or if you prefer former planed as display one with display pilot on board) - as Macc just said.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The flying programme published only shows one MiG29 display though?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Bartek

Post by Bartek »

capercaillie wrote:The flying programme published only shows one MiG29 display though?

And now it reflects true situation.
Last edited by Bartek on Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macc

Post by Macc »

capercaillie wrote:The flying programme published only shows one MiG29 display though?

Yeah, that'll be the Slovakian.

emkey83

Post by emkey83 »

Polish MiG is still in the flying programm :confused:

http://www.airpower.gv.at/programm/

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

+ 2 RAF Tornados to arrive tomorrow (according to the airpower site).

emkey83

Post by emkey83 »

But no Gripen from Hungary in the flying :sad:

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

emkey83 wrote:But no Gripen from Hungary in the flying :sad:

Just as I expected... :sad:

soxyloxy wrote:Head's up - I just went on the Airpower website and according to a tab on the side of the home page there will be a live on Friday and Saturday (the Show)!
I'll be watching that! :biggrin: :yahoo:

Yeah, and last time it was really-really good quality.

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Phantom is an interesting addition to the flying line up :shock:

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

emkey83 wrote:Polish MiG is still in the flying programm :confused:

http://www.airpower.gv.at/programm/

It does say "preliminary programme" and is subject to change.....