NATO Tiger Meet 2012

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Viper810

NATO Tiger Meet 2012

Post by Viper810 »

NTM 2012 relocation

NTM 2012, unlike previously reported is NOT taking place in Portugal, but in Norway.

Due to increasing financial problems for Portugal, and the economic measures announced by the IMF last July. Budget for opperational training for the Portugees Air Force has suffered a drastic cutback, resulting in the cansellation of NTM 2012.

luckely only days after the announcement by 301 Sqn, the CO of 338 squadron RNoAF has already convinced Norwegian Generals, and has taken over the task of hosting NTM2012

http://www.natotigers.org/tigernews/ind ... newsID=153
Watch http://www.youtube.com/user/Vipers810 for al my aviation video`s

Agg
UKAR Staff

Re: NATO Tiger Meet 2012

Post by Agg »

Nice, Ive already cleared my calendar ;)

KevinJ

Post by KevinJ »

There will be a spottersday on Friday June 1st followed by a open house/airshow on Saturday June 2nd. Spottersday will require registration. More info on registering in the new year.

Regards,

Kev

Crossbow

Post by Crossbow »

Message from the C/O HAF 335 Mira "Tigers"...they are only coming with some Pilots as "Observers"
no Jets! as dated today.

No good!

Hans
HJ Breuer

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Bad news indeed, although, not completely unexpected...

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone went to the last last Tiger Meet in Orland in 2007 and if they've any advice on the logistics of getting there - e.g. is a car necessary if basing oneself in Trondheim etc?

Thanks in advance.

Niall

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Ørland is quite far away from Trondheim, by car it's going to take you at least two hours (probably more, as the roads in rural Norway are'nt exactly the best in the world). If you're going to base yourself in Trondheim, the easiest way to get there would be by boat. The ferry from Trondheim takes about one hour. The airbase lies on the tip of a peninsula and is pretty much the middle of nowhere.

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Agg wrote:Ørland is quite far away from Trondheim, by car it's going to take you at least two hours (probably more, as the roads in rural Norway are'nt exactly the best in the world). If you're going to base yourself in Trondheim, the easiest way to get there would be by boat. The ferry from Trondheim takes about one hour. The airbase lies on the tip of a peninsula and is pretty much the middle of nowhere.

Cheers for that information must appreciated.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any accommodation in Berkstad, Trondheim seems the closest. However, looking at google maps the base seems close to Berkstad, so looks within walking distance. There's also an early morning ferry from Trondheim to Berkstad so that may be the planned route.

Niall

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Norweigan have some low fares direct Gatwick - Trondheim at the moment, just booked mine for under £90.

Need to get the accomodation now, looks like I will be basing myself in Trondhiem.

The ferry option looks ok for the spotters day, but for the Saturday show the service isnt at the most ideal times, so Im thinking of hiring a car, if anyone wants to go share the cost we could travel Trondheim to Base together - pm if anyone interested.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Flights and accommodation booked, roll on June.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

List of current participants have been published:

Norway
8x F-16 338 SQN
4x F-16 331/332 SQN
1x DA-20 717 SQN
1x Sea King 330 SQN
2/3x Bell AB412 720 SQN

Germany
6x Tornado
6x Tornado
1x Learjet

Belgium
6x F-16

Switzerland
3/4x F-18C/D

France
3x Rafale 11F
2x Rafale or Mirage 2000
3x Rafale

Czech Republic
2x Mi-24V
3x JAS-39 Gripen

Slovakia
2x MiG 29 Fulcrum

United States
2x KC-135R

Holland
7/8x F-16

NATO
2x E-3A

Italy
2x AB-212

Hungary
5x JAS-39 Gripen

Poland
3x F-16

Portugal
2x F-16

United Kingdom
2x Puma HC1
1x Merlin HM1

Turkey
3x F-16

Greece and Austria are also attending but as observers.

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Cheers Kieran,

Nice little line up.

Roll on May....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Nice line up, no Spanish this year though :shock: .

Has the EC1/12 badge transferred to a Rafale unit as there seem to be a lot of Rafales listed? Navy ones instead of SuEs, CEAM for the either or Mirages option, but the other 3?

Who'll be the first to pull out - Hungarians, Portugese or Polish? :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
Who'll be the first to pull out - Hungarians, Portugese or Polish? :grin:

Probably RAF/RN!!

capercaillie wrote:Nice line up, no Spanish this year though :shock: .

Bizarre and some nice F1 & Hornet specials, even the Harriers could get in with a big cat theme...

capercaillie wrote:
Has the EC1/12 badge transferred to a Rafale unit as there seem to be a lot of Rafales listed? Navy ones instead of SuEs, CEAM for the either or Mirages option, but the other 3?:

There are certainly Normandie-Niemen raflse now (full colour badge too!) haven't seen anything re 1/12. Odd thing about the SuEs of course is the Tiger connection comes from the badge of the the carrier Foch or Clemenceau, so in effect we could have had tiger Crusaders or Alizes' in the past. Now the old carriers are gone, I really don't know how they're blagging it so a gun toting duck, sea horse or spear carrying gull are all fair game!!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

These aircraft have been confirmed as flying:

France
Rafale

Spain
EF-18

Belgium
F-16

Slovakia
MiG-29

Czech Republic
Hind

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Thanks Agg. This event is getting better and better. :clap:

Agg, have you any local knowledge of when the registrations for the spotters day opens?

Thanks.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Yes I do, its already open :)

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Thanks Agg, just applied on line. Now just have to find out about if registration is required for Wittmund.

Roll on June.

BatmanIX

Post by BatmanIX »

There is a German Eurofighter down on the list of Tiger painted aircraft. Would this be a mistake as there are not any taking part in the Tiger Meet??

Cheers,
Paul

frank

Post by frank »

Can someone help me on the application form - I get the name and email address bit but on the large box Ditt Sporsmal/Henvendelse I am a bit lost - any help welcome

KevinJ

Post by KevinJ »

Ditt Sporsmal/Henvendelse = Any questions/comments

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

frank wrote:Can someone help me on the application form - I get the name and email address bit but on the large box Ditt Sporsmal/Henvendelse I am a bit lost - any help welcome

Frank in the "any questions/comments box" include your phone number. I think that's the only other item required. Once you've submitted the application the lads in the RNoAF will send you a confirmation email and they'll ask for any additional information if required.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

How are those of you who plan to stay in Trondheim planning on getting to the base? I just checked flights and as they are very cheap I dont see a reason not to go :P

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Not able to go this year sadly, but did the last one at Orland. Easiest way to get to/from the base is to take a ferry from Trondheim and then jump on the shuttle bus to the base. The ferry takes about an hour I think, and is much easier than driving from Trondheim. If you do drive, you will need to cross the fjord at some point, there are car ferries but the timings didn't work for an early start on the base last time, hence taking the passenger ferry.
Cheers

Chris

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Flights are booked to Oslo, taking a leisurely drive up to Trondheim on the Friday.

Chris, thank you for the info on the ferries. My initial plan was to take one of the car ferries, but on that advise I think I'll be taking the passenger ferry. Cheers.