Swedish Air Force Airshow/SAAB 75th Jubilee, Malmen 2012

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Gripenfury

Re: Swedish Air Force Airshow/SAAB 75th Jubilee, Malmen 2012

Post by Gripenfury »

[url]http://www.yr.no/place/Sweden/Östergötland/Linköping/long.html[/url]

Gripenfury

Post by Gripenfury »

I amongst many more would be very happy if someone that´s going on the spotter event could make a short report here on saturday evening about were the display line was and which runways was in use.
Just to make us that aren´t going on saturday prepared on what to expect and where to stand for the sunday show. :smile:

Cheers

/Martin

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Gripenfury wrote:I amongst many more would be very happy if someone that´s going on the spotter event could make a short report here on saturday evening about were the display line was and which runways was in use.
Just to make us that aren´t going on saturday prepared on what to expect and where to stand for the sunday show. :smile:

Cheers

/Martin

Hi Martin,

I could txt you the info but won't have Internet at hostel that nite,

Pvt me if you want and I'll do my best ok :smile:

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

If I can get on to the internet in my hotel I'll post up what I can about the Saturday flying!

Gripenfury

Post by Gripenfury »

Thanks in advance for the help.

As for the weather, scandinavias three major weathersites now state the same thing: No rain :smile: , partly cloudy, +14 degrees celsius. A bit windy though, we have to see with the bleriot if it can fly.

Seems like we will have an C-17 after all, wether it´s going to fly or not I don´t know.

/Martin
Last edited by Gripenfury on Wed 30 May 2012, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stratofreighter

Post by Stratofreighter »

A question on behalf of a friend:

Has anyone already received a confirmation of registering by the Swedish Authorities for this Saturday's Spotters Day ?

Many thanks for all replies!

frank

Post by frank »

Stratofreighter wrote:A question on behalf of a friend:

Has anyone already received a confirmation of registering by the Swedish Authorities for this Saturday's Spotters Day ?

Many thanks for all replies!

Yup got my reply within 2 days

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Hi,

I received answer on my question about the spotterspossiblities on Sunday on same emailadress within an hour and a half!!!

Pieter

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Pouring with rain here at Malmen this morning!
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

TonyO wrote:Pouring with rain here at Malmen this morning!

Happy happy joy joy! :grin:

I arrive tomorrow afternoon. And the forecast is still absolutely horrific.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

sln

Post by sln »

The runway in use is the 01 / 19 (north / south) - as 08 / 26 is used as parking lot for cars on the east side, and for static display on the west side. And for the display line... well... kind of both 01 / 19 and 08 / 26. But I think they used 08 / 26 today because there was a really strong and constant wind from west to east today, this resulting in 2 of the 5 parachute jumpers landing in the forest on the east side of the base. I'm not sure if anything happened to them, but ambulances was sent there. And half or so of the displays was on the 08 / 26 line.
I would guess the display line, if the cross wind isn't that strong tomorrow (and I sure hope not, because it was freezing), will be 01 / 19 - north / south, as this is also where most of the crowd line is.

Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I could see, the show center, when using 01 / 19 display line, was around the crowd line center.

The weather forecast isn't looking good for tomorrow, hoping it's wrong :grin:

Just 3 quickies from today, I'll might create a thread in the airshow section ones I have edited them all...

Søren
FLYMAG - Scandinavian aviation magazine:
www.flymag.dk
www.facebook.com/flymag.dk/

beduggah

Post by beduggah »

Does anyone know what happened to the Viggen solodisplay? I didn't see the Hunter/Lansen either.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

beduggah wrote:Does anyone know what happened to the Viggen solodisplay? I didn't see the Hunter/Lansen either.

Viggen went tech and the Hunter/Lansen pair didn´t get a new slot after that the J29 blew a tire and blocked the runway when they were supposed to perform....that´s at least what I believe happened.

beduggah

Post by beduggah »

Hope they get it in the air today then. It was kinda my no 1 reason to get here. Nice formation earlier in the show though, with all the swedish jets through history :smile: Also cool to get so close when they start them up.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Just got back to the hotel. Strangest bloody show I've ever been to - what the hell happened to the display axis!? :dizzy:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Skyflash wrote:Just got back to the hotel. Strangest bloody show I've ever been to - what the hell happened to the display axis!? :dizzy:

What happened? :question:

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

There were two different display axes, one to the south for the jets and then slower stuff used the runway near the crowd. Malmen simply isn't a suitable layout for an airshow, I think this might have been recognised by the organisers.
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Skyflash wrote:Just got back to the hotel. Strangest bloody show I've ever been to - what the hell happened to the display axis!? :dizzy:

Completely agree,was crazy,all helos and light a/c displayed in front of you,jets,aerobatic teams and warbirds were in the next province(literally),what a shame as such a unique set of displaying A/C,unless you were miles outside the base itself you had no chance at decent flying pictures for jets.

Apart from this it was a great show with rare items,good weather initially on the early sat morning for static shots,but very windy and cold mostly,museum and show both free aswell,so all in all a good event,despite display axis and weather.