Belgian International Airshow, Florennes

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
st24

Re: Belgian International Airshow, Florennes

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:
Harry_Imp wrote:Sorry mate but I disagree - despite the number of people telling me otherwise before I got on wll with my 400 mm prime in my opinion- I have never used a
lens well at RIAT so that must be brilliant?

I've just looked at my shots and for the vast majority of aircraft flying along the display line (that bothered to adhear to it, seemed the Swiss and the Polish came closer) I have had to do a 50% crop (12mp to 6mp) to get a full frame shot. My 500mm on my camera is effectively 650mm.... for an airshow distance that is p#ss poor!

RIAT's display line to crowd line distance is approx.... 200 metres and to the runway of approx... 80 metres.

Florennes on the other hand had a crowd line to display line distance of.... 350 metres and to the runway of approx.... 540 metres (that's over half a kilometre).

In percentage terms, the distance from the crowd line at Florennes to the display line wass 75% more and to the runway 575% more than you are at Fairford.

Franky, in my opinion for an airshow that is unacceptable. Especially as they placed the enthusiasts almost under the display line the day before.

Andy

As I said on your photo post Andy, Florennes is as Florennes does - you can't change the layout. Koks is the same and they even have the audacity to place you facing the sun all day!! IMO, all Belgian shows should be held at KB - the "Carlsberg" of airshow venues.... :cool:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Koen L

Post by Koen L »

I believe they increased the display distances a lot after Omar Bilal crashed his Royal Jordanian Falcons Extra 300 into the crowd at Oostende in 1997.

st24

Post by st24 »

Koen L wrote:I believe they increased the display distances a lot after Omar Bilal crashed his Royal Jordanian Falcons Extra 300 into the crowd at Oostende in 1997.

Aah yes of course; that was very nasty and would obviously influence further airshow safety distances...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Really liked the show, but didn't really bother snapping the flying because of the distance. Really liked the snaps in the HAS site as stuff taxied back in. But there was certainly a missed opportunity in some of the HAS sites. I guess I really hoped that a couple of the Belgian Vipers could have been parked in front of their HAS' surrounded by trees. Bit of a lost opportunity, IMO.
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?