Kecskemét Airshow, Hungary - 2013

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Kecskemét Airshow, Hungary - 2013

Post by Skyflash »

Temperature gauge in my hire car touched 38 at one point this afternoon! :dizzy:

I honestly thought I was melting; I must have been an interesting sight by the time I checked into the hotel...
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Griffon_301

Post by Griffon_301 »

yeah Eizo I know! I have seen the Knights twice already sometime in the 1990s at Zeltweg and 2008 at MAKS and was seriously impressed;
but I think 38°C is too much for us, at least for my significant other; hmm, still one day left to think over it....

guys do you know will there be a regular spotter transfer from the parking area for spotters to the base? this is not quite clear from the emails I have received;
if so, it would be an idea to go there to arrive at the early afternoon to watch the Knights and some other flying metal and then leave again at 6pm or so...
"Verkaafts mei Gwand, I foahr in Himmel"
(inscription on the FW-190D of Lt. Sachsenberg)

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Any sign of the MiG-21 yet?

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Agg wrote:Any sign of the MiG-21 yet?

It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow around 11 am local time.

(The arrival info has been pretty accurate so far.)

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Any advance warning as to which end they are likely to be using tomorrow? Today seemed very confusing with aircraft using both runways, in particular the Frecce who took off in one direction for their practice, and then landed in another!

At the moment my plan is to go back to where I was today.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Skyflash wrote:Any advance warning as to which end they are likely to be using tomorrow? Today seemed very confusing with aircraft using both runways, in particular the Frecce who took off in one direction for their practice, and then landed in another!

Just watch where the spotters are being transported to! The tower will then change runway immediately! :grin: So just take the opposite of us spotters! :lol:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Eizo wrote:
Skyflash wrote:Any advance warning as to which end they are likely to be using tomorrow? Today seemed very confusing with aircraft using both runways, in particular the Frecce who took off in one direction for their practice, and then landed in another!

Just watch where the spotters are being transported to! The tower will then change runway immediately! :grin: So just take the opposite of us spotters! :lol:

:grin:

Thanks - I guess I will just have to trust in fate...

Screenes

Post by Screenes »

Does anybody know which roads around the base will be closed for cars? I plan to go behind the fence on Saturday (near that forest on the northern side of the airport) and park my car as near as possible, but I do not want to run into hungarian MPs.

monographix

Post by monographix »

Griffon_301 wrote:yeah Eizo I know! I have seen the Knights twice already sometime in the 1990s at Zeltweg and 2008 at MAKS and was seriously impressed;
but I think 38°C is too much for us, at least for my significant other; hmm, still one day left to think over it....

guys do you know will there be a regular spotter transfer from the parking area for spotters to the base? this is not quite clear from the emails I have received;
if so, it would be an idea to go there to arrive at the early afternoon to watch the Knights and some other flying metal and then leave again at 6pm or so...

They claim that you give them a call and they arrange a pick-up from the gather / ticket-issue spot in the Stadium parking

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Does anybody know a good restaurant (cheap and cheerful) in the city center of Kecskemet? Yesterday I was at Italia Pizzeria, Kereki Fatura (?). Was quite good! :smile:

bazsi

Post by bazsi »

Eizo wrote:Does anybody know a good restaurant (cheap and cheerful) in the city center of Kecskemet? Yesterday I was at Italia Pizzeria, Kereki Fatura (?). Was quite good! :smile:

Cheap and I like it (hamburger, tortilla, sandwich):

Elbandi Hamburger:
6000 Kecskemét, Dobó István körút 1., or
6000 Kecskemét, Horváth Cirill tér 1.
http://kecskemet.wix.com/elbandi#!contact

There is a good, cheap restaurant on the side of Aranyhomok Hotel.

Best one but not so cheap, and not in the city center (only available by car):

Csalánosi Csárda
6000 Kecskemet, Felsőcsalános 5. (Out of the city on route 52)
http://www.csalanosi-csarda.hu/index.php?menu=6

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

well, what a weekend!

Highlight was undoubtedly the knights performance yesterday in the late evening light...worth the trip to Hungary alone!

Here's hoping for some nice low departures tomorrow.

.Mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

How was the romanian MiG?

Screenes

Post by Screenes »

On the Saturday, when the Dutch F-16 was flying, there was a huge cloud of black smoke rising south of the airport. Does anybody know what it was?

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Screenes wrote:On the Saturday, when the Dutch F-16 was flying, there was a huge cloud of black smoke rising south of the airport. Does anybody know what it was?

I have no idea, but we also noticed it.
Today, there was also a pretty big fire after/during the air-to-ground capability demo (caused by the explosives on the ground).

The organisation was rather caotic at certain points (I wouldn't like to go into details, but I can't wait to hear your opinions), and the weather was very nasty on Saturday.
The flight programme was OK, based mainly on Russian iron and aerobatic teams. Not the best Kecskemét show, but it was worth the trip (okay, it was only 170 km for me :smile: ).

Screenes

Post by Screenes »

The one thing I really disliked were sometimes huge pauses between displays. And about that rumoured closure of the roads around the base: we tried to get by car to that forest behind the fence and were stopped by police at the roundabout near Metro: I had a feeling that they were trying to show us direction to official parking lot, but I do not speak hungarian and they did not speak english so we just continued and got comfortably to the fence. Police and army patrolled that area, but no signs of "closure" at all, there were tens of cars and many people, even an small ice cream car showed up. The only problem were some people who ignored the nature of the road drove along it at relatively high speed causing dust clouds every few minutes.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Why so many wanting to watch from outside and not go in? I know this happens at many shows but this one seems to attract more that don't want to go in. What am I missing?

Screenes

Post by Screenes »

Shade in the forest (important thing considering the temperature during the weekend) plus it is not as overcrowded as inside. Spotters also go outside for different photo angles and different light.

Quid59

Post by Quid59 »

Spotting places were horrible at times........especially the long distance from the runways.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

The organisation was was beyond chaotic, and was almost as bad as the living hell that is Le Bourget.

It took me four hours to get from my hotel in Budapest onto the base on Saturday morning, this despite having left at 6am. The car park turned out to be a dusty, unploughed field in the middle of nowhere, there was no discernible queue for the shuttle buses resulting in absolute pandemonium in the car parks, all of this was of course conducted in temperatures already in the mid-30s, and when you finally got on a bus they were so overcrowded as to be positively dangerous.

Upon reaching the base I discovered (no surprises) that the crowdline was already mobbed, and that the fence was actually a solid metal fence conveniently located exactly at eye-level for the average human. Huge gaps punctuated the otherwise excellent flying display - absolutely no need for the 8am start and 8pm finish.

And as for the Russian Knights... hey, I know, let's book a genuine star act and attract every keen aviation photographer in Europe, then put them on at 7pm by which point the light will be terrible! Genius! :loser:

Needless to say, the same situation as above pertained to the farce of trying to get back to the car park at the end of the show (after the Knights, by which point it was nearing 8pm!) Added to a 1.5 hour wait to get back onto the main road it all meant a day totalling around 17 hours, and all conducted in the most appalling heat imaginable.

Funnily enough I didn't venture back to the show yesterday (Sunday), and I doubt I'll be back again. Great flying display, sure, but just not worth the hassle.

Highlight of the trip was the banter in the field with all the UKAR lot during Friday arrivals - thanks guys. Otherwise it was a pretty horrible experience.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Oh well, Sliac in 4 weeks with no such problems!!

sovietjet

Post by sovietjet »

Interesting to read this feedback, since in 2010 the organization was extremely good. Getting in took less than 30min if I recall correctly and there was no gaps at all. In fact the next act was already holding short to take off when the previous one landed. We couldn't even find a gap to go buy some water and food!

Skyflash wrote:then put them on at 7pm by which point the light will be terrible! Genius!

Huh? The light at 7PM is great.... the "golden hour"
Ivan Voukadinov

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

sovietjet wrote:Interesting to read this feedback, since in 2010 the organization was extremely good. Getting in took less than 30min if I recall correctly and there was no gaps at all. In fact the next act was already holding short to take off when the previous one landed. We couldn't even find a gap to go buy some water and food!

Skyflash wrote:then put them on at 7pm by which point the light will be terrible! Genius!

Yes... if you have the sun directly behind you, and you are shooting at ground level. For flying shots at that time the light (IMO) is horrible.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Skyflash wrote:
sovietjet wrote:Interesting to read this feedback, since in 2010 the organization was extremely good. Getting in took less than 30min if I recall correctly and there was no gaps at all. In fact the next act was already holding short to take off when the previous one landed. We couldn't even find a gap to go buy some water and food!

Yes... if you have the sun directly behind you, and you are shooting at ground level. For flying shots at that time the light (IMO) is horrible.

what a load of tosh!

I, and almost everyone I've spoken too agreed the light for the knights on Saturday evening was very special...even perfect. my shots of them yesterday (when they performed at lunchtime) are nowhere near as good.

.Mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Mictheslik wrote:
Skyflash wrote:

what a load of tosh!

I, and almost everyone I've spoken too agreed the light for the knights on Saturday evening was very special...even perfect. my shots of them yesterday (when they performed at lunchtime) are nowhere near as good.

.Mic

Interesting… of course by the time they displayed I was about demented with the heat, which may have coloured my impression of the experience. I got some decent shots of them on the taxiway (poking my lens through that bloody fence!), but the flying shots look heavily backlit - may have been a result of where I was standing, and the fact that they frequently cheerfully ignored the crowdline.

I’ll review properly when I get home this evening.