Radom Airshow 2013

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
aspotternot

Re: Radom Airshow 2013

Post by aspotternot »

Edit: Looks as though the Kozienice hotel option has gone, could be Zelechow now and I haven't looked at a map to find out where that is yet!?!

DeeSmont

Post by DeeSmont »

Hi, Warsaw to Radom: Airport Railway Station ---> West Warsaw Railway Station ---> Radom

I'm not sure about Zelechów, there are two towns near Warsaw/Radom named the same. Tell me the name of hotel.

If you want to find room in Radom try to contact with "Turism information". +48 48 360 06 10

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Hello Malcolm,

I cant comment on how easy it is to get from Warsaw to Radom as I have only done that route once and it was by car.

But to answer the question... Yes, i think its a great show. Not on RIAT scale, but different aircraft and very interesting. Stuff that you just wont see here in the UK.

If you do go to the show be sure to say hello... I'll be there with the Auster in Polish markings!... We all know how the folks here on UKAR like an Auster at a military airshow!!!

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

aspotternot wrote:Good morning folks!

I am looking for a bit of general advice please from both UK travellers and 'locals', including Polish but also other near-neighbour European enthusiasts, I hope you can help me?

I might yet book a last minute trip to Radom but as you can imagine flights are now more expensive than they would have been had I taken the 'plunge' and booked earlier! I am therefore writing to ask, is Radom a great show and would you consider it worthwhile? I will be travelling alone so will have the additional 'complication' of navigating between Warsaw Chopin / Radom / Kozienice (possible hotel location as Radom is pretty much 'closed' now!).

Additional information regarding ease of getting to and onto the air base, ticket purchase advance or otherise etc would also be much appreciated.

IMHO if all goes well, Radom is going to be one of the top airshows in Europe this year.
I'd say it's definitely worth going. The country is also nice (we travelled from Hungary by car, and made a stop for some sightseeing in Krakow on the way back - I just loved the city), people are friendly (although few of them speak English - however, that's true for most East/Central European countries), and women are gorgeous...

I was there in 2011, but sadly enough, I can't make it this year.
There was absolutely no problem with tickets, as there were plenty of ticket booths near the gates.
In case you are planning on renting a car: parking was also OK - we skipped the official parking lot, since we arrived early, and no one could tell us when and from where the shuttle buses would depart. Stores, business owners, etc. located near the base will let you use their parking lots for a small fee. On the downside: roads are not very good.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Not the best weather today, cloudy and a bit chilly, but Solo Türk was fantastic! They beat up the airfield for about ten minutes when they arrived, and the rehearsal was great as well.

st24

Post by st24 »

Just about to board,plane home. A fab few days at yet another superb east European airshow, bravo polish a.f., a fantastic array of machines!! :rock: mmm seasprite :love:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

JAVA

Post by JAVA »

What was the Ukraine SU27 display like?

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

JAVA wrote:What was the Ukraine SU27 display like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOn-P947Lxc

JAVA

Post by JAVA »

Very nice. Especially like the role from the go around.

Makes you wonder what problem the Hungarians were had with it when turning it down for Kecskemet

st24

Post by st24 »

Ukrainian was a typical Flanker display - almost impossibly slow and effortless - none of your continuous upping and downing and screaming around like a mad thing a la Gripen, Rafale, F-16 etc. Certainly a little wobbly on practice Friday but overall impressive and above all, safe! 2 tail slide party tricks so all's good :up: .
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

XP282

Post by XP282 »

st24 wrote:and above all, safe!

Well said! I have to say the last time I was at Radom was 4 years ago when the Su27 crashed, killing the crew. I felt quite strange seeing another Blue Flanker flying over the same forrest. I dont know why, but it did affect me this time. I'm so pleased that it was a safe show.

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

st24 wrote:Ukrainian was a typical Flanker display - almost impossibly slow and effortless

Maybe they should put you in the cockpit next time... :whistle:

JJC

Post by JJC »

That is fantastic! Surely nothing in there that should preclude it from a UK display?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

JJC wrote:That is fantastic! Surely nothing in there that should preclude it from a UK display?

The missed approach followed by a roll :wink:

Macc

Post by Macc »

Eizo wrote:
st24 wrote:Ukrainian was a typical Flanker display - almost impossibly slow and effortless

Maybe they should put you in the cockpit next time... :whistle:

I think what he was saying that the Flanker made the manoeuvres look effortless, not that the pilot put no effort into the demonstration.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Chrisse wrote:
JJC wrote:That is fantastic! Surely nothing in there that should preclude it from a UK display?

The missed approach followed by a roll :wink:

Change it to a ''simulated approach on the display line'' :grin:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

thefixer

Post by thefixer »

I had a fantastic day at Radom last Saturday (just got back from Poland today) and I have to say that it's the best airshow that I've attended since the early 90's here in the Uk and 5 tickets for the price of 1 RIAT ticket too. We were treated to a solid programme of military hardware from the Polish AF flypast at 1230ish right through to 1900 with no padding and hardly any time to sit or eat lunch! The one time I did sit down there was a loud explosion over flown by 2 SU22s which sped off and a pair of F16s which then performed tight turns over the bomb site! :rock: It was great to see the majestic Flanker display once again as well as a myriad of front line fast jets, most of which deployed flares. Well done to all and to the Polish Airforce for organising such a great show. :yahoo:
Thanks for reading!

Mike