Zeltweg AirPower 2013

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Andyperkins

Re: Zeltweg AirPower 2013

Post by Andyperkins »

Eizo wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:So did the Swiss F-18 make it even if just for static?

Yes, came in for static. ATM there is no SwissAF F-18 display.

Good to know as the F-18 is down for Yeovilton and according to the organisers they haven't received word of it being cancelled yet so hoping it will still turn up if only for static.

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Finally back from Austria...

I liked the weather, not too cold, not too hot. I'm not a photographer, so I don't mind the clouds.
On the upside:
- This was the first time I saw Patrulla Aguila, and they were pretty good, much better than I expected
- Austrian Typhoon pair
- We don't see a lot of oldtimer machines in Central/Eastern Europe, so it was good to have some in Zeltweg, like the Avenger, the Spitfire, the Bronco, the Hunter, etc-etc.
- Frecce, Patrouille Suisse, and the two F-16s delivered as usual. One thing though: PS's "shadow" formation was a bit off, they did the split almost behind the crowd on both days
- Surprise appearance of the KDC-10
- The museum at the base is still very nice, and they had some additions since 2011, plus a temporary (?) WWI exhibition
- The Hungarian Gripen's beautiful "dump and burn" on Friday with a dark, cloudy background

On the downside:
- The Turkish Stars's performance was very disappointing with the 6 planes instead of 8. Somehow, their complete show was very off - a lack of accuracy, huge gaps between formations, the formations worked out for 8 planes just did not work with 6, and their commentator also sounded a bit tired compared to his usual, passionate self.
- PdF's cancellation. Bad luck.
- I felt Red Bull's programme was better in 2011.
- The Austrian combat demo with the choppers was OK, but it was way better in 2011
- I personnaly love the Blanix's show, and it was great (well, at least on Saturday, when they did the full show), but their previous choice of music was much better
- The Mirage and the Orion came in to land from the west on Thursday afternoon

I expected a huge crowd for Saturday, but still, it was unbeliavable, the entire base was packed full. My German is far from perfect, but as far as I understood, the spekers said they expect the number of visitors to be over 300,000 as opposed to 280,000 in 2011.
We got cought up in a traffic jam while trying to get out of the parking area. Well, that's something that can't be avoided with those roads and the number of visitors. But it was not very fortunate to have roadworks on the motorway towards Vienna, which also generated a massive traffic jam.

All in all, a good show, but not a great show. Still, we hope to return in 2015.

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Leadfoot wrote:I expected a huge crowd for Saturday, but still, it was unbeliavable, the entire base was packed full. My German is far from perfect, but as far as I understood, the speakers said they expect the number of visitors to be over 300,000 as opposed to 280,000 in 2011.

This has to do with the Airpower itself and its position in Austria. If they would announce less visitors than 2011, they would have had to argue why this is the case. And also, 280.000 as well as 300.000 this year is a fake number. It is an advertising issue, not basing on real facts. Compare with:

viewtopic.php?p=523134#p523134

Leadfoot wrote:All in all, a good show, but not a great show. Still, we hope to return in 2015.

Yep!

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Eizo wrote:This has to do with the Airpower itself and its position in Austria. If they would announce less visitors than 2011, they would have had to argue why this is the case. And also, 280.000 as well as 300.000 this year is a fake number. It is an advertising issue, not basing on real facts.

I agree, these numbers are estimated and adjusted upwards. In the end thats a good thing to shut up the many opponents in Austria who would love the Airpower event to be history....after visiting both days I am sure the information that there were more people than last time is true though!

I quite agree with the points mentioned above, what was the reason for the Stars only flying with 6 jets!?
The Frecce also messed up one maneuver on Friday when they failed to rejoin the two sections in time and had to fly
a circle to come back to the airfield halfway in their display!

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

p2philip wrote:I quite agree with the points mentioned above, what was the reason for the Stars only flying with 6 jets!?

We asked one of the guys at their merchandise stall, and he said "three of our pilots are still in training". Whatever that means... (if it's true at all).