Greek Open Days November

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
frank

Greek Open Days November

Post by frank »

Assuming that these will take place - has anyone ever attended these and what is your view wrt photography on the different bases. Does the HAF actually fly on these days or is it all static
Thinking of going with a Tour group like Ian Allan or similar
Appreciate input from anyone who has been

Macc

Re: Greek Open Days November

Post by Macc »

I remember seeing some pictures from a couple of years back but it's quite rare. I think there was some flying at Tanagra last year plus the F-16 demo at Larissa.

Rumwolf

Post by Rumwolf »

I've signed up for the Ian Allan trip in November. Haven't been to any Greek airfields or open days before but having recently read that the RF4Es and A7s are out of service next year then I thought it was worth giving it a go. IA tell me that requests for access have been declined by the GAF so the plan is purely to attend the open days. Given the economic situation I have no clue as to what to expect. A bigger worry is the risk of the seemingly continual public sector strikes disrupting the itinerary.

Savvas

Post by Savvas »

Although it's pretty soon to announce any plans of the forthcoming HAF Open Days in November, sticking to the annual routine we will most probably see all HAF aircrafts in static displays. What's questionable is having major aircraft allocations for the static displays.

Flying displays are the big bet. Nothing is announced until a week or two before the festivities. For example, both the F-16 Demo Team "ZEUS" and T-6A Demo Team "Daidalus" will participate in Kavala AIRSEA Show this weekend, with their official participation announced only yesterday by HAF.

Major HAF airbases are located quite far form Athens, 110CW & 111CW to the north (almost 350km from Athens), 114CW (to the north 60km from Athens) and 116CW&117CW to the WSW around 270km from Athens are reachable by car. For 115CW in Crete you should consider either plane or ship.

More news should arise by mid-September..