Aire 75 - Torrejon

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
iaint
UKAR Staff

Aire 75 - Torrejon

Post by iaint »

Not seen it mentioned on here, but this year sees the 75th Anniversary of the Spanish Air Force and as such they are holding a bit of a party at Torrejon AB on the 10/11th October.
It took a while, but the official website recently went live with participants listed:

http://www.aire75.es/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Oldtower

Re: Aire 75 - Torrejon

Post by Oldtower »

Well looks good, heres a provisional listing of demos.

10:00 - Fundación Infante de Orleans
10:50 - John Company
11:00 - Jorge Macias
11:30 - PAPEA
11:45 - Air Force Aircraft
12:30 - Iberia
12:40 - AirEuropa
12:50 - Patrulla Aspa
13:15 - Frecce Tricolori
13:50 - Patrouille de France
14:25 - Eagle Patrol
15:00 - AV8 Harrier
15:15 - Ramón Alonso
15:30 - Patrouille Suisse
15:55 - Orlik Aerobatic Team
16:20 - F-16 Demo Team
16:35 - Tucano Display Team
16:55 - Breitling Jet Team
17:20 - Hamilton
17:30 - Bravo-3 Repsol
17:45 - Jacob 52
18:20 - PC-7 Team

Statics include narturally Spanish types & including Airbus MRTT & Boeing 707 Medical, Dutch KDC-10 amongst others.

frank

Post by frank »

TBH looks a bit disappointing - too much International and not enough local stuff.
Spanish have F5, F18, Eurofighter and helo's - much more interesting
They have fallen into the trap of thinking no-one wants to see the locals and go for the usual international types.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

See your point frank, however all the types you mention are involved also.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Looks like it'd be a fun show. Would particularly like to see the Harrier and Tiger
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Macc

Post by Macc »

Wissam24 wrote:Tiger

Spanish SF-5Ms are an adaptation of the F-5B which are Freedom Fighters, as opposed to Tigers. :smile:

frank

Post by frank »

Oldtower wrote:See your point frank, however all the types you mention are involved also.

It just seems to be part of.an european trend where the home team as such don't show off their local stuff.
I guess the 45 minute slot at 1145 will be series of flypasts. I would have gone to this show if it had more time devoted to their own Spanish aircraft. Unfortunately I have seen most of the international stuff this year

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

frank wrote:It just seems to be part of.an european trend where the home team as such don't show off their local stuff.

That's not true - just look at the likes of Payerne, Karup, Kecskemet, Laage, Mińsk-Mazowiecki, Linkoping, Cazaux, Volkel, Kauhava, Batajnica, Zeltweg, Sliac, Hyeres etc..!

st24

Post by st24 »

Macc wrote:

Spanish SF-5Ms are an adaptation of the F-5B which are Freedom Fighters, as opposed to Tigers. :smile:

Unless he means the Tigre choppers... :smile:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

frank

Post by frank »

DeanW wrote:
frank wrote:It just seems to be part of.an european trend where the home team as such don't show off their local stuff.

That's not true - just look at the likes of Payerne, Karup, Kecskemet, Laage, Mińsk-Mazowiecki, Linkoping, Cazaux, Volkel, Kauhava, Batajnica, Zeltweg, Sliac, Hyeres etc..!

Did you attend all of these or just reading a list.
I attended linkoping, zeltweg and payerne and felt the same. Can't comment on he rest of your list.
I do think that shows look outwards for the "best displays" rather than showing off their locals

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

frank wrote:
DeanW wrote:

Did you attend all of these or just reading a list.
I attended linkoping, zeltweg and payerne and felt the same. Can't comment on he rest of your list.
I do think that shows look outwards for the "best displays" rather than showing off their locals

Went to Payerne, Karup, Kecs, Mińsk-Mazowiecki and Linkoping so saw their home teams in the flesh and have seen reviews of all the other shows so know they too had a strong home team presence.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

frank wrote:I attended linkoping, zeltweg and payerne and felt the same.

AIR14 featured every single type in the Swiss Air Force inventory, so how you can say they didn't show enough of the locals is bemusing. :facepalm:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Probably to do with funds, or lack off them,Spain is still in a bad economical way, and I guess this event has been given limited funds!

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote:
frank wrote:I attended linkoping, zeltweg and payerne and felt the same.

AIR14 featured every single type in the Swiss Air Force inventory, so how you can say they didn't show enough of the locals is bemusing. :facepalm:

And I can't think of anything missing from Zeltweg shows of the Austrian forces.. In my book the Europeans are pretty good at showing off their inventory - KB did a fine job of presenting the Air Force- even a B-Hunter UAV flew!. The RAF on the other hand are extremely poor..... :tumbleweed:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

What is probably not immediately evident is that most European air arms only have 1 or 2 big shows a year,if that,so they can afford to throw everything into that 1 show, whereby the UK Armed Forces have to support many shows all over the country and in Europe,if you just look at the Red Arrows itinerary for this year,it's quiet staggering how many shows they perform at!

st24

Post by st24 »

AARDVARK wrote:What is probably not immediately evident is that most European air arms only have 1 or 2 big shows a year,if that,so they can afford to throw everything into that 1 show, whereby the UK Armed Forces have to support many shows all over the country and in Europe,if you just look at the Red Arrows itinerary for this year,it's quiet staggering how many shows they perform at!

Noted but we're not talking about "general" airshows here, all nations have them. We're talking about big, air arm devoted shows, of which (next year) the RAF will have one - at one of it's smallest operational stations, the FAA possibly two and the AAC zero.

frank

Post by frank »

Ok Apologies I have this thread off topic. Let's come back to Aire 75 Torrejon please
If anyone wants to carry on what I started then let's start a new thread

reineves

Post by reineves »

I will be traveling from Brazil to Madrid just to watch this airshow. This is a chance to watch many teams demo together in one event. It can be common for Europeans like you guys , but for a South American is a fantastic opportunity.
See you there !!! :yahoo:

JAVA

Post by JAVA »

Just back from Madrid, and got the chance to attend the first half of Aire 75.

An interesting morning - arrived at 0900 and got straight in. Excellent traffic management I thought, but when I left at 1300 the roads were grid lock, with a huge tailback on the motorway, all the way from Torrejon to Barajas.

The static was held on a huge apron, with aircraft sparsely dotted around. The 707 was great to see (operational until 2018 apparently) and there were a couple of nicely painted F18s, but all aircraft that were open to the public had monster queues - with such interest in their aircraft, the Spanish AF would have done better to put a few more examples on the ramp.

Enjoyed the firefighting Cougar, but the Tigre was a bit tame compared to our Chinook. The AV-8 was great, Patruilla Aspa were interesting, (but were they really a highlight of the 2014 Waddington show?) Thought the AS532s stole the show in the role demo, but it was good to see an F-5 flying. Then I had to leave.

It was a free morning out with some interesting aircraft, but not the greatest show. Judging by the enthusiastic Spanish crowd, and the huge numbers still trying to get in at 1300 (when all the teams started), they should do this sort of thing more often.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

st24 wrote:
Macc wrote:

Unless he means the Tigre choppers... :smile:

I did
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016