Good European show for 2016?

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
pbeardmore

Good European show for 2016?

Post by pbeardmore »

Off to Sanicole soon, looking for a show for next year, has to be outside of the school hols so June or Sept are best, any ideas,
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

aviodromefriend

Re: good Europea show for 2016?

Post by aviodromefriend »

Leeuwarden, as I think Kecskemèt doesn't fit into your calender problems.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Leadfoot

Re: Good European show for 2016?

Post by Leadfoot »

Leeuwarden or Florennes... or perhaps Zeltweg, if organised in 2016 and the date will fit.

ChrischMue

Post by ChrischMue »

19 Jun 2016 Sun - Denmark - RDAF Skrydstrup - http://www.danishairshow.dk/en/

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Leadfoot wrote:Leeuwarden or Florennes... or perhaps Zeltweg, if organised in 2016 and the date will fit.

Any word yet on a potential return for Zeltweg? I kinda just assumed that it was gone for good, which would be something of a tragedy as it's by far and away the best airshow location I have ever visited.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Leadfoot wrote:Leeuwarden or Florennes... or perhaps Zeltweg, if organised in 2016 and the date will fit.

Hang on.

Zeltweg?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Flare Path wrote:

Hang on.

Zeltweg?

Seems to be depending on the Austrian minister of Defense. He is not widely known for a love of airshows.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Flare Path wrote:
Hang on.

Zeltweg?

Airpower15 had previously been announced (although with an early September date instead of the usual late June/early July). It was later cancelled, and I read that the event might return in 2016.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/s/politik/i ... eder-statt

According to this article the Airpower airshow in Zeltweg will take place in 2016. No further detail except the statement that it will take place in fall and there will be a press conference on October 19. Quite surprising and not the best source but there is hope! :smile:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Maybe the show in Bodø, Norway on the 18th and the 19th of June could be of interest?

frank

Post by frank »

Agg wrote:Maybe the show in Bodø, Norway on the 18th and the 19th of June could be of interest?

Do please tell us more - why would it be of interest

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

frank wrote:
Agg wrote:Maybe the show in Bodø, Norway on the 18th and the 19th of June could be of interest?

Ah, I think I might know - outside chance of a flying F-104, perchance? :whistle:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Just a heads up: Airpower will take place in Zeltweg in September 2016. Exact date to be announced toworrow, some rumours suggest 2-3 September.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Skyflash wrote:
frank wrote:

Ah, I think I might know - outside chance of a flying F-104, perchance? :whistle:

Oh yes, as well as probably one of the last chances to see Norwegian F-16s flying at an airshow - and the last show to be held in Bodø before it's closed.

McG

Post by McG »

Agg,

What is Bodo like as a venue? Are you shooting into sun? Do they offer a spotters day type ticket?

Mark

john001

Post by john001 »

Agg wrote:
Skyflash wrote:
frank wrote:

Oh yes, as well as probably one of the last chances to see Norwegian F-16s flying at an airshow - and the last show to be held in Bodø before it's closed.

Why no more F16s after next year and what's the closing date for Bodø? thanks

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

It's a shame Bodø is in the middle of nowhere though. Looking at flights on Skyscanner it doesn't look easily accessible over the show weekend.

McG

Post by McG »

DeanW wrote:It's a shame Bodø is in the middle of nowhere though. Looking at flights on Skyscanner it doesn't look easily accessible over the show weekend.

Looking on Expedia, flights + accommodation would be in region of £800. :shock:

RobS

Post by RobS »

McG wrote:Agg,

What is Bodo like as a venue? Are you shooting into sun? Do they offer a spotters day type ticket?

Mark

Maybe I can answer that, since I went to Bodo in 2012. That was a nice little show in a very relaxed atmosphere. But the public is looking to the south, into the sun all day, so expect dark photos and high shutter speeds. There was a spotters arrangement in 2012 (for the south side of the field on Saturday), but that was only announced on the Norwegian part of the airshow website. When I discovered this and mailed the people responsible (several times), I did not get an answer until after the show 6 months later. :wall:

McG

Post by McG »

RobS wrote:
McG wrote:Agg,

Mark

Maybe I can answer that, since I went to Bodo in 2012. That was a nice little show in a very relaxed atmosphere. But the public is looking to the south, into the sun all day, so expect dark photos and high shutter speeds. There was a spotters arrangement in 2012 (for the south side of the field on Saturday), but that was only announced on the Norwegian part of the airshow website. When I discovered this and mailed the people responsible (several times), I did not get an answer until after the show 6 months later. :wall:

Rob,

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Loop

Post by Loop »

Hey guys
is there a good airshow in germany next year? otherwise I'd be thinking about Zeltweg - austria isn't too far from germany. But maybe something's closer. I am pretty often in the german country, for work mostly, but I still have plenty of time to do fun stuff over there, too :snack:
Cheers
Lucas

by the way: hi everyone, I am new here :cool:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Loop wrote:Hey guys
is there a good airshow in germany next year? otherwise I'd be thinking about Zeltweg - austria isn't too far from germany. But maybe something's closer. I am pretty often in the german country, for work mostly, but I still have plenty of time to do fun stuff over there, too :snack:
Cheers
Lucas

by the way: hi everyone, I am new here :cool:

Greetings! Or should that be Grüsse... :wink:

First off, Germany doesn't really 'do' airshows as such, ever since the Ramstein tragedy. So don't go expecting any RIAT-style extravaganzas. Your best bet for military shows would be an open day at one of the Luftwaffe's bases, such as the wonderful Phantom Farewell event at Wittmund in 2013. Such events seem to be organised fairly frequently, just keep an eye on forums such as this. You won't get much in the way of proper display flying, but you can often get up nice and close to German military types.

That said, you might be in luck as 2016 is an ILA year, so if you can get to Berlin in early June, and don't mind going to an aerospace industry trade event (like Paris or Farnborough) then that's your only chance of seeing an actual airshow on German soil.

As I have already posted elsewhere on the forum, I cannot speak highly enough of Zeltweg, which really is a special event, so if you are working to a limited budget then you might simply be better off focussing your energies on a wee trip to Austria in September.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Loop

Post by Loop »

Hi skyflash
thanks for your reply or should I say "danke" :rock:
Too bad that they don't do airshows in germany. That explains why noone over there is interested in aviation so much. I've found the ILA page, thanks for your recommendation. It's selling tickets only for trade visitors. Does that mean a "normal" guy like me can purchase one? Or are these private tickets?
I am in germany pretty often, I probably will be there in September, too. I definitely plan to visit Austria then and have a look on the Zeltweg show. But it's soooo long waiting time…
Cheers

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Loop wrote:Hi skyflash
thanks for your reply or should I say "danke" :rock:
Too bad that they don't do airshows in germany. That explains why noone over there is interested in aviation so much. I've found the ILA page, thanks for your recommendation. It's selling tickets only for trade visitors. Does that mean a "normal" guy like me can purchase one? Or are these private tickets?
I am in germany pretty often, I probably will be there in September, too. I definitely plan to visit Austria then and have a look on the Zeltweg show. But it's soooo long waiting time…
Cheers

"Regular" visitors can go to ILA on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (previous editions), those tickets will follow later. Of course, you could get a trade ticket, there's probably some stuff that only attends on trade days, same as at Farnborough.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Disregard my previous recommendation - the show in Bodø is, unfortunately, cancelled.