Airpower '16

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
PeterR

Re: Airpower '16

Post by PeterR »

Should be there about 2pm if we get lucky with the escape from Vienna Airport and the traffic enroute! :rock:

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

st24

Post by st24 »

RichPittman wrote:http://airpower-display.at

Arrivals

A free sheet of lies, and they're probably not even lies!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

RichPittman wrote:http://airpower-display.at

Arrivals

I remember seeing this at the Zeltweg crew and press center in 2013 on large screens. Amazing what sort of facilities to bring to bear at that show. Sad to miss it this year, it's hands down my favourite show to visit.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

davidjones533 wrote:Looks like the Su-22 has Cancelled :sad:

Yep. Was quietly removed from the list! :grin:

BTW: No ladders at all (!) on the whole area on Friday and Saturday, according to officials.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Eizo wrote:BTW: No ladders at all (!) on the whole area on Friday and Saturday, according to officials.
Great, now interested to see it enforced too.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Live on Red Bull TV later this afternoon

http://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1P2RMZN451W11/airpower

emmeff

Post by emmeff »

I'm enjoying the streamed program. Some great angles.

Anyone else watching it?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

C-27 better than ever - barrel roll, loop, half Cuban, quarter cloverleaf, two Derry turns :grin: Fantastic. A display that RIAT could have benefitted from along with the Liberator Hind before it. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I am. Its great, and what good commentary by BSB commentator Jack Burnicle (who'd have thought it?) with Ben Dunnell.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:I am. Its great, and what good commentary by BSB commentator Jack Burnicle (who'd have thought it?) with Ben Dunnell.

Agreed, a very slick combination.

Who'd have thought it, eh, putting an aviation expert alongside a sports broadcaster skilled in handling live events? It'll never catch on...

An outstanding production so far - just shows what can be achieved when you're prepared to throw a few quid at something, rather than the British way of bodging something up and doing it on the cheap.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Who'd have thought it, eh, putting an aviation expert alongside a sports broadcaster skilled in handling live events? It'll never catch on...

Well there's a first time for everything..... :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

capercaillie wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Who'd have thought it, eh, putting an aviation expert alongside a sports broadcaster skilled in handling live events? It'll never catch on...

Not a George Bacon waved umbrella in sight...

emmeff

Post by emmeff »

Ah.

It took me a while to work out what you meant with your references to those commentators. I'm watching the Austrian stream via the event website, and not the RedbullTV stream. You are missing out on the remarks from the team commentators, among other local colour! The stream on the Austrian site is continuing, even though RedBullTV has now quit.

timuss

Airpower 2016

Post by timuss »

What a show this is the Flying Bulls display was something else, the live stream is awesome in cockpit cams are a really nice touch as well.

http://www.airpower.gv.at/en/fanzone/live-stream.html
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

st24

Re: Airpower 2016

Post by st24 »

Can't help thinking of "Scooter" when I hear the commentator speaking in English.. "good morning".."Siberia"... :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

May have been expensive but the 5 Day spotters package was well worth it!

Only on Day 4 but nothing is too much trouble...

14 spotter areas with some under the display line :loser:

Great weather and a good mix of Austrian element, fighters, helicopters and warbirds and. Red bull

Thank you Zeltweg!
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Not a George Bacon waved umbrella in sight...

Dare I point out the Mexican wave organized by the commentators to follow the F-16 touch and go? Or the world record attempt flash mob dance to a carnival song to thank the Frecce at the end of their display? Both in 2013... Didn't bother me in the slightest. I even participated!

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

My special from yesterday was at the fence near to the tower, where a spotter in teamwork with his friend wrestled down a visitor in Greco-Roman style, retching him afterwards... :icecream: Military police arrived just when I intended placing 100 on the 2... :snack:

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

What a show. Don't think I've ever been to an event where they've been so accommodating for the enthusiast with 14 different 'spotter' locations across the whole airfield (including a few points on the North side under the display area) and food and drink included in the initial spotter package. At £160 for the whole 5 days that's top value.

The show itself was a cracker. 9 hours of flying on each show day which was predominantly modern military - perfect! Austrian Typhoon pair were incredible but it was top to see all of the Austrian types in the flying. Red Bull assets were decent too, the mixed Alpha Jets/P-38/Corsair formation was neat as well as their unusual types like the Sycamore, Cobra etc.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Great show. Had a Dutch Chinook on static (I believe it wasn't on the list), which was a good replacement instead of the Su-22 (which I saw at SIAF anyway).

A400M fly-pasts and t&g also a great surprise on Friday.

This was my 4th Airpower, and this was probably the best organised so far. The organisers handled the huge crowd really well.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Leadfoot wrote:This was my 4th Airpower, and this was probably the best organised so far. The organisers handled the huge crowd really well.
Except the man that thought 100% checks also meant everybody had to take his/her cap off to check if they hadn't any explosives in their hair. Even RIAT's Saturday didn't see that one (wait, with the USAF's 70th coming up, we will probably see it there too). Can´t remember it mentioned here, but at the opening of the show the Austrian Minister of Defence mentioned 2018 as the probable next time for the show. It should be part of the celebrations for the Austrian Presidency of the EU. If any Brits are welcome for that one by then.... #brexit.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program