RDAF Show Skrydstrup

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
pako-2008

Re: RDAF Show Skrydstrup

Post by pako-2008 »

Looking forward to this one now, can't believe how quickly its come around. Many heading over from the UK?

Arriving Friday and wondered what viewing from the fence is like for arrivals?
Cheers
Aaron

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

USAF Blackhawk added to static
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Super hornet cancelled
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

As correctly predicted by the Wise one. :grin:

Now for this weekend's lottery numbers.............. :worship:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Five and twelve

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Wissam24 wrote:Super hornet cancelled

Yep as in said in previous post,no surprise there,no customer to sell to now!!

sln

Post by sln »

To be fair, the official decision that Denmark would buy the F-35's was first taken yesterday.

The previously announcement of the F-35 for Denmark, was the governments recommendation of which jet we should buy. There has been a lot of talk in the media in Denmark about the governments recommendation based on incorrect numbers, which Boeing also claimed.

This is obviously the reason why Boeing was attending, as they thought that they still had a chance to win it, and they had, until yesterday - which is why they pulled out after it was officially announced that Denmark is buying 27 F-35's, the first 22 now, and then the last 5 later. The first plane should arrive in around 8 years time.

The airshow is still looking great, and they asked yesterday on Facebook which aircraft people would like to see more of, as they would then give the Super Hornets allocated time to one of the planes already in the display list. Maybe to give them two display slots, and most people wrote the Su-27, and with the history of Danish airshows, this could very well come through. But my guess is that we'll see the Danish F-16 display twice though.

In regards of pictures outside on arrival, if they land from the east, you'll have good access for landing shots, it's a bit more tricky in the west end, as there is a bit of trees as well as it's farm land.

/Søren
FLYMAG - Scandinavian aviation magazine:
www.flymag.dk
www.facebook.com/flymag.dk/

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

THE UKRAINIANS HAVE LANDED

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Outstandingly good weekend.

barte.k

Post by barte.k »

Wissam24 wrote:Outstandingly good weekend.

Have you been to the Sat. airshow for spotters? Was it any different than Sunday programme?
A

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yes, there was a good deal less flying. A good few acts weren't up, notably the display teams and Danish F-16. The single jets all flew though, and the Flanker had the best weather of the whole day - the airshow gods were kind on Saturday - a couple of notable moments were the Flanker flying so low over us we could smell the exhaust, and Zeus flying past so fast it made our ears pop. We also had access to all the liveside jets for photography and none of the static had barriers or such. It was very well organised with a genuine enthusiasm by the airshow team to get the spotters what we wanted. Really the only disappointment for me was only seeing the Stars on the Sunday in worse weather. The Draken was much more dynamic on Saturday, and the lack of cloud for its display meant we got to see the Flanker perform a tailslide which it didn't on Sunday. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Overall it was a well organised airshow with some quality items - the BUFF flypasts were a little high but nice and smokey. A few disappointments - the trainer formation was cancelled but that might've been weather related, Cartouche Doré cancelled, the Danish F-16 4-ship formation stuff was virtually pointless - which is saying something for four F-16s! There was a huge variation in who was using what display lines, with the Draken miles away but Turkish Stars performing the goose almost directly over my head...that was very exciting I can tell you! Some tidy items on static too - Lithuanian Panther was a tremendous surprise and very welcome indeed, as was German Typhoon and Norwegian F-16s.

Overall, perhaps the best show on this weekend! Hell, I got to sit in the cockpit of a Ukrainian Su-27 Flanker so I've got no complaints whatsoever - where else could I have done that? The attitude of the hosts was brilliant too - we waited til the very end of the show for the crowds to disappear, and we were able to move over the barriers around the static Flanker and Danish special tail F-16, and we were only moved on when they needed to fuel them! I think it's safe to say it's a good show when you spend over 12 hours on the base out of choice.

Plus, £5 for a really quite delicious kebab wasn't too bad either, considering Denmark is more expensive than the UK.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

I can only echo what Sam has said, an absolutely top quality weekend that was incredibly well organised and very enjoyable.

The Spottersday was a cracking example of how days of this nature SHOULD be done, with almost free roam across the entire base.

Also the flying taking place on the Saturday was exceptional, with all of the acts performing a very punchy routine. One of my personal highlights was having the Fokker Dreidecker perform a "strafing run" over the southside crowd, guns popping away.

Sunday was sadly blessed with a blanket of cloud and there was a definite sense that the acts weren't flying quite so punchy; the aforementioned Draken certainly used a damn sight less afterburner (this was compensated however with a very low and very fast pass on departure).

My only gripes were the F-16 attack demo, which was utterly confusing and quick. Sadly it was very much a "blink and you miss it" act with one aircraft also going tech after departure. Also the Swedish Historic Flight Harvard threeship was very disjointed and distant.

Overall there were actually very few Danish F-16s, with only three in static (one being the display jet, another being a plastic museum piece and the last being a non - airworthy example).

Overall though, the opportunity to see Ukrainian hardware, various other rare bits and bobs (the sight of the rarely seen Danish VIP Challenger in a formation flypast was definitely a nice treat) and superb access made this one of my favourite ever airshow weekends!

See you in 2018 Denmark
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Ledhead27 wrote:My only gripes were the F-16 attack demo, which was utterly confusing and quick. Sadly it was very much a "blink and you miss it" act

That sounds very familiar! We'll have no plagiarising of the 2014 review! :wink:
To be fair that is the whole point of the demonstration, you're an enemy (airfield) position and here is the RDAF coming to bomb you, how quickly and confusing that situation is to be on the receiving end when there's no warning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

pako-2008

Post by pako-2008 »

Well what a fantastic weekend this was.

Spent the afternoon on Friday watching the Turks and Spanish rehearse with some scattered arrivals, all just before a storm rolled in.

The Saturday was exceptionally well organised, as Dan says this is how Spottersdays should be run. We had free roam of the active HAS complex's throughout the day, free roam of the static park and they provided us a belting spot to view on the Southside which can only be compared to Rhymes Farm in terms of position - but better.

The weather wasn't always on our side through the weekend, but it was at its best when it mattered. I somewhat think the cloud cover helped on the Sunday for if it were clear skies, we would have been shooting silhouettes all day.

I think one of the standout moments for me was the Herc a mere 75ft above our heads on the Saturday top-siding at full throttle, nearly had to duck (slight exaggeration). But of course the highlight was 'that' Flanker display, it still hasn't sunk in. Dreidecker strafe run on us was amusing and it did feel like a number of the display rehearsals were slightly tailored to our position, very welcome indeed.

Overall, this was probably one of the best European displays I've attended. So much quality on show, great organisation with zero traffic hassle, incredible access and all of the Danish and Foreign crews were welcoming/happy to talk to us.

Thanks to Sam, Tom and Dan for the company over the weekend, great to meet you guys. (Hope Sam's photo of the guard dog was as steamy as he hoped :grin: )
Cheers
Aaron

barte.k

Post by barte.k »

Wissam24 wrote:Yes, there was a good deal less flying. A good few acts weren't up, notably the display teams and Danish F-16. The single jets all flew though, and the Flanker had the best weather of the whole day - the airshow gods were kind on Saturday - a couple of notable moments were the Flanker flying so low over us we could smell the exhaust, and Zeus flying past so fast it made our ears pop. [..]

Thanks for the feedback, I tried to get the spotterday pass but sending my email to the Air Force just half an hour after "openinig times" was elaready too late to join.
Anyway, we spent some time of Saturday next to the main gate, just outside of the airfield and the views for Flanker were astonishing. It was so close, that if Icrop my pics I can read the pilots knee-notes;) the jet smell was also fantastic. Or Fantastisk as they say.

This was my first time there, but totally worth a try in next two years.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

pako-2008 wrote:[url][/url] (Hope Sam's photo of the guard dog was as steamy as he hoped :grin: )

Probably the best photo he got of the day! Nice to meet you over the weekend as well, I'm sure we'll meet again soon!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

barte.k wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Yes, there was a good deal less flying. A good few acts weren't up, notably the display teams and Danish F-16. The single jets all flew though, and the Flanker had the best weather of the whole day - the airshow gods were kind on Saturday - a couple of notable moments were the Flanker flying so low over us we could smell the exhaust, and Zeus flying past so fast it made our ears pop. [..]

Thanks for the feedback, I tried to get the spotterday pass but sending my email to the Air Force just half an hour after "openinig times" was elaready too late to join.
Anyway, we spent some time of Saturday next to the main gate, just outside of the airfield and the views for Flanker were astonishing. It was so close, that if Icrop my pics I can read the pilots knee-notes;) the jet smell was also fantastic. Or Fantastisk as they say.

This was my first time there, but totally worth a try in next two years.

I'm afraid to post my pictures now knowing you were there! :grin: Yeah I sent my email off at bang on 7, when it opened. If it's as well run next time then it's definitely worth trying to get on. Very much felt like we were guests and not a burden on the show staff.

Flanktastic! ...no?

Likewise thanks for the company Aaron - what a great weekend it was!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"'Strup Tease" - Tom Jones reports from The Danish Air Show at Skrydstrup.

Image Image Image Image Image