La Ferté Alais 2017

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Elliott Marsh

Re: La Ferté Alais 2017

Post by Elliott Marsh »

It isn't open to the public anymore, no. Security is very strict and you would need some kind of formal pre-clearance or accreditation to get on site (i.e. if you were involved in the show, press etc.). I'm not sure what the formal criteria for entry is.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Elliott Marsh wrote:It isn't open to the public anymore, no. Security is very strict and you would need some kind of formal pre-clearance or accreditation to get on site (i.e. if you were involved in the show, press etc.). I'm not sure what the formal criteria for entry is.

That's a shame but better to find out now. Are there any good spots to shoot the practise day from outside? If not might need to reconsider the flight times.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Not that I know of - the retail park at the bottom of the hill might give you some decent views of the fast jet practices, otherwise getting anywhere near is difficult due to the geography of the place (being on a hill, and surrounded by trees). The police patrol the boundary and local fields on horseback and with quad bikes over the weekend to move on spectators, but I'm not sure if they do the same pre-show. Since the spate of terror attacks they've certainly upped security considerably.

Depending on what time your flight arrives, a trip to Le Bourget or a trip into the countryside for some sightseeing might be a better bet. The one drawback of LFA is that it's a little remote and there's not a great deal to do if you need to kill time!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Okay I am now in for this! :yahoo: :rock:

My plan is to do the Sunday only at La Ferté (bit of a gamble with the weather, bu hey ho) then spend a couple of days working my way across northern France, stopping off in Normandy to do some of the D-Day/WWII stuff, before arriving at Landivisiau on the Wednesday for the NATO Tiger Meet. Should be a great wee trip, looking forward to it.

As a complete newbie for La Ferté I'd appreciate any advice, especially in terms of best places to position yourself for photography, and how early one should aim to arrive. Thanks in advance.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Skyflash wrote:Okay I am now in for this! :yahoo: :rock:

My plan is to do the Sunday only at La Ferté (bit of a gamble with the weather, bu hey ho) then spend a couple of days working my way across northern France, stopping off in Normandy to do some of the D-Day/WWII stuff, before arriving at Landivisiau on the Wednesday for the NATO Tiger Meet. Should be a great wee trip, looking forward to it.

As a complete newbie for La Ferté I'd appreciate any advice, especially in terms of best places to position yourself for photography, and how early one should aim to arrive. Thanks in advance.

Actually at la Ferte most of the crowd line is good for something. Depends on take off direction too but where ever you are generally you will be able to see decent take off and taxi shots. I tend to split the weekend by going a bit further right on the Saturday and a bit further left on the Sunday. I have previously arrived at 7.30 ish in the morning although this means you will have to wait until 9 to get access to the static aircraft park but there's enough to do in the meantime with hangars to explore, stores to trawl and food and drink to be consumed.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I was in La Ferté for the last time in 2010 so it may have changed, but I remember food being very affordable, with prices varying between stands because they were operated by local clubs & schools. Is that still the case? Makes for a breath of fresh non-commercial air.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Screechy wrote:
Skyflash wrote:Okay I am now in for this! :yahoo: :rock:

Actually at la Ferte most of the crowd line is good for something. Depends on take off direction too but where ever you are generally you will be able to see decent take off and taxi shots. I tend to split the weekend by going a bit further right on the Saturday and a bit further left on the Sunday. I have previously arrived at 7.30 ish in the morning although this means you will have to wait until 9 to get access to the static aircraft park but there's enough to do in the meantime with hangars to explore, stores to trawl and food and drink to be consumed.

Many thanks Screechy, appreciated. :smile:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Think i am going to do la Ferte this year too and hence skip the Navy Day at Old Warden... tough call but the last Navy Day was so good and in such good weather that it would be hard to top this year. Will head out to la Ferte on the Friday... maybe take in Albert museum this time on the way down and do both days at the show.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

From their Facetube page: Hawker Hurricane F-AZXR has been added. Be good to see this old girl back where she belongs. Possibly my favourite Hurricane still flying.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The AJBS newsletter also announced the Laird Speedwing, Beech Staggerwing, PT-22 Recruit, Stinson Reliant and Travel Air 4000. Dani Hughes' wingwalking act also self-confirmed on Facebook, as has Will Greenwood's Yak-3 G-OLEG.
Last edited by Elliott Marsh on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Thanks for the update Elliot. Its not easy to translate the newsletter and I got a bit overexcited when I saw a four page spread on the Skyraider :(.

Line up is coming along nicely though and my flights and hotel are booked so really looking forward to this.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The based AJBS Skyraider is a certainty I'd say, and a very good chance of the Avignon Raider joining! I'm not sure the third French machine has flown since it landed in a field some time ago. They put up the trio in 2015 but typically have at least two. :cool:

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Elliott Marsh wrote:The based AJBS Skyraider is a certainty I'd say, and a very good chance of the Avignon Raider joining! I'm not sure the third French machine has flown since it landed in a field some time ago. They put up the trio in 2015 but typically have at least two. :cool:

Excellent. Overexcitement reinstated :).

JensSr

Post by JensSr »

Still have to choose between this one or oostwold whats a local airshow at a airfield of the owner of p51 Damm yankee

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

JensSr wrote:Still have to choose between this one or oostwold whats a local airshow at a airfield of the owner of P-51 Damm yankee
As long as you have the money to go there, that should be La Ferté without much thought. Really a no-brainer.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

JensSr

Post by JensSr »

aviodromefriend wrote:
JensSr wrote:Still have to choose between this one or oostwold whats a local airshow at a airfield of the owner of P-51 Damm yankee
As long as you have the money to go there, that should be La Ferté without much thought. Really a no-brainer.

I have money but im only 16 so i have no idea how i should go their.
THats the only problem. as my dad doesnt want to drive 4hours instead of 2 hours to oostwold.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

From their homepage;
Pour accéder en train depuis Paris Gare de Lyon ou Austerlitz:

Prévoir 30 mn ( 2,5 km) de marche à pied entre la gare de la Ferté Alais et l’aérodrome
Sorry if my translation is wrong (my last lesson in french language was back in 1982), but it reads as if there are trains running from Paris Gare de Lyon and Austerlitz to a station called La Ferté Alais and airfield which leaves you with a 30 minutes or 2,5 km walk to the event. Both Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon can be reached from Gare du Nord (where trains from Holland arrive at) by metro. Checking http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php?fm=pdf&loc=reseaux&nompdf=metro I think the easiest would be line 5 to Place d'Italie and get out at Gare d'Austerlitz (9th stop). But bear in mind, I didn't check timetables which of the two gives the best connections.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Today's addition is the Avenger from Switzerland. :up:
Last edited by Elliott Marsh on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

aviodromefriend wrote:From their homepage;
Pour accéder en train depuis Paris Gare de Lyon ou Austerlitz:

Prévoir 30 mn ( 2,5 km) de marche à pied entre la gare de la Ferté Alais et l’aérodrome
Sorry if my translation is wrong (my last lesson in french language was back in 1982), but it reads as if there are trains running from Paris Gare de Lyon and Austerlitz to a station called La Ferté Alais and airfield which leaves you with a 30 minutes or 2,5 km walk to the event. Both Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon can be reached from Gare du Nord (where trains from Holland arrive at) by metro. Checking http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php?fm=pdf&loc=reseaux&nompdf=metro I think the easiest would be line 5 to Place d'Italie and get out at Gare d'Austerlitz (9th stop). But bear in mind, I didn't check timetables which of the two gives the best connections.

Gare de Lyon and Gare d'Austerlitz are quite close to each other (10 min walk).
But Gare de Lyon only is on RER (Regional Express Railway) "D" line that goes to La Ferté Alais, as is Gare du Nord.
So you if arrive by Gare du Nord, just take the RER "D" line up to La Ferté Alais.
But be careful :
  • not all trains go to La Ferté Alais - but for the return trip, all trains from La Ferté Alais will stop at Paris stations, including Gare du Nord
  • only 1 train per hour on week-ends (even for the airshow week-end :loser: ) - same applies for the return trip
  • travel time is 1h11min

If you plan to come this way, tell me and I will put here the timetables & train names.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

12 T-6s added today for the Tora! Tora! Tora! airfield attack.
Last edited by Elliott Marsh on Mon 01 May 2017, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

2 x Douglas AD-4N Skyraider and 2 x North American T-28 Trojan added for the "Good Morning Vietnam" scenario plus Supermarine Spitfire Mk xix added.

Really looking forward to this show.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Patrouille de France and Boeing 777 flypast announced - Saturday only.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Dassault Flamant pair added.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Rafale display confirmed by the team themselves.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

The Fighter Collection will be sending the Hawk 75 and Gladiator.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.