La Ferté Alais 2017

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
The Baron

La Ferté Alais 2017

Post by The Baron »

The annual La Ferté Alais airshow is being held at Cerny airfield on the 3rd and 4th June 2017.
I believe it's been mentioned already in other threads as it clashes with Shuttleworths Fly Navy II, but it's well worth the effort to visit if you're after something different.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Elliott Marsh

Re: La Ferté Alais 2017

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I concur. One of the most enjoyable airshows going today, and the 2012 and 2015 shows were amongst the very best airshows I've been to. So, so easy to get to by road or by fly-drive from CDG or Orly.

Few shows can deliver everything from Blériot to 747 with everything in between - WWI biplanes, 1920s-30s sports, trainers and racers, pre-war 30s military classics, warbirds spanning the late 30s to Vietnam, classic jets, transports, airliners, aerobatics, water bombing from the Sécurité Civile's Tracker and CL415, parachutists, gliders, helicopters, modern military... There's a fair bit you'll see at LFA that you certainly won't see elsewhere in the world.

Many of the aircraft are flown in well thought out set-pieces, again ranging from Great War dogfights with a dozen or more aircraft to the traditional Vietnam airfield attack and Aéronavale throw down. For the modern mil fans, there's usually plenty to see - last year saw Atlantique, four Rafales, Alizé (which flew with the Paris and Zephyr. Not modern mil, but come on!), Rafale solo and a terrific C-160 demo.

A love letter to aviation, and essential viewing for any enthusiast. It's that good.

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

I agree with Elliot. Enjoyed La Ferte Alais 4 times including last year. The variety of aircraft is unique and as well as loads of historic aircraft the show is well supported by modern French naval aircraft. The backdrop and sun behind is wonderful. The only issue for me is that the weather on my trips has not been great. But with some sun this is one of the best air shows with a clean green backdrop-brilliant; an airshow that should be on every aviation enthusiasts bucket list.

Go and enjoy

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

DanL and I have it on our list for sure!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

As Sam has mentioned, me and Sam are both interested in attending (I really need to get myself back to a foreign show after the success of Skyrdstrup). After seeing the photos and videos from previous shows it looks like a stellar line-up every time with a great variety, as previously mentioned.

Out of interest, has anyone done the drive from Blighty to La Ferté Alais, as I am provisionally looking at doing the journey via car. If so, what's it like in terms of costs, journey time etc. TIA
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I drove it in 2012 - 5 people in a small car with 6 days' luggage...

We left home early doors and took the Dover to Calais ferry at about 8am. The drive south from Calais was effortless, with plenty of service breaks along the way to stretch our legs. Then we hit Paris. A navigational blunder took us too far south, meaning we ended up on the inner city rind road for about 5 hours, crawling along in horrendous traffic. By the time we reached LFA at twilight, we'd been travelling for about 16 hours. Lesson: you will need to go around Paris, but you want to take the outer ring road, and not at rush hour. If you do that, it should take about 4 hours.

The drive back the following Tuesday was lovely. No traffic issues that I can recall, and we had time to stop of the Melun aviation "museum" and the Thiepval war memorial en route. We ended up back in the UK at around 8pm if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure of ferry/tunnel costs off the top of my head, but it's reasonable, particularly the latter. The show itself is a little north of 20 Euros and there's a 5 Euro flight line walk too, which allows you to get much closer to the aircraft than at any British show (that runs until about midday, with the flying beginning shortly after). Food is better priced and better quality than UK shows too. All in, it's no more expensive than doing one of the big UK events like RIAT or Legends. If anything, it probably comes in a little cheaper in the round!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Ledhead27 wrote:As Sam has mentioned, me and Sam are both interested in attending (I really need to get myself back to a foreign show after the success of Skyrdstrup). After seeing the photos and videos from previous shows it looks like a stellar line-up every time with a great variety, as previously mentioned.

Out of interest, has anyone done the drive from Blighty to La Ferté Alais, as I am provisionally looking at doing the journey via car. If so, what's it like in terms of costs, journey time etc. TIA

I drive across every year, catching the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. Obviously it's a more expensive crossing than Dover/Calais but is closer for me. I then take the motorway to Evreux then across country and the same on the return. It means I get to spend some time around Pegasus Bridge too.

I agree with Elliott on cost, but will say it makes an enjoyable weekend away with museums etc instead of just a day trip to a UK show.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

The Baron wrote:
Ledhead27 wrote:As Sam has mentioned, me and Sam are both interested in attending (I really need to get myself back to a foreign show after the success of Skyrdstrup). After seeing the photos and videos from previous shows it looks like a stellar line-up every time with a great variety, as previously mentioned.

I drive across every year, catching the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. Obviously it's a more expensive crossing than Dover/Calais but is closer for me. I then take the motorway to Evreux then across country and the same on the return. It means I get to spend some time around Pegasus Bridge too.

I agree with Elliott on cost, but will say it makes an enjoyable weekend away with museums etc instead of just a day trip to a UK show.

Are there any aviation museums you'd recommend in the area?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

jalfrezi wrote:
The Baron wrote:

Are there any aviation museums you'd recommend in the area?

Well technically LFA is the home of the AJBS collection, but the big one is obviously the Air & Space Museum at Le Bourget.
Not aviation related as such but if you were to drive then via Caen brings you through D-Day country with the many assorted museums, or via Calais brings you down through the World War I battlefields of Arras and the Somme, plus the WW2 Pas de Calais bunkers of the Atlantic Wall.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Did it in 2015 and doing it again this year. If you go over on the Friday night then remember, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and the Friday evening traffic on the Peripherique around Paris reflects the fact, it was mental when we did it at around 7pm. Also, the Monday is a bank holiday and literally everywhere will be closed, no booze cruising on the way home!!

Otherwise I can only echo what has already been said. Great show with a superb variety of aircraft and a nice, relaxed atmosphere. The Navy Rafale sneak pass is worth the entry fee alone.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

I concur.
I am lucky enough not only to be French, but also to be Parisian, so that La Ferté-Alais has been a tradition for me for more than 25 years now.
Except for the traffic jam (the alternative being the suburb train - 1 every hour - and a 20 min walk), it's a fantastic airshow, never twice the same !

Check my Flickr gallery to see the vast range of flying machines displayed in the last seasons (former years still to be put online).

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

The Baron wrote:Well technically LFA is the home of the AJBS collection, but the big one is obviously the Air & Space Museum at Le Bourget.
Not aviation related as such but if you were to drive then via Caen brings you through D-Day country with the many assorted museums, or via Calais brings you down through the World War I battlefields of Arras and the Somme, plus the WW2 Pas de Calais bunkers of the Atlantic Wall.

Thanks, I've been to Le Bourget and AJBS in the past, I wasn't sure if there were any other small aviation museums worth a visit.

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

There is an aircraft collection at Albert that is worth checking out. Plenty there to see

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

First participant announced on their Facestalk page.

Swiss Air Force F/A-18 Hornet.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Excellent - and entirely unexpected - addition!

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Hunter & Sea Fury duo added. I've seen this act at LFA before (2015) and it's excellent - formation passes and rolls galore.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

A rare opportunity to see a Hunter displaying.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Looks very interesting and I am tempted even with having to miss Fly Navy.

How much are tickets and are they on sale yet. Navigating the mainly French website even with O level French and auto translate on doesn't give much away :)

Looks like the sun is behind you all days as well?

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

The Baron wrote:First participant announced on their Facestalk page.

Swiss Air Force F/A-18 Hornet.

As far as I remember, this would be a first for a non-French in-service modern fighter at la Ferté.

Elliott Marsh wrote:Hunter & Sea Fury duo added. I've seen this act at LFA before (2015) and it's excellent - formation passes and rolls galore.

Hawker fly-by is always a beautiful sight :

ImageDSC_3851 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

And here is the official poster, always by Romain Hugault :

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Nwalch wrote:Looks very interesting and I am tempted even with having to miss Fly Navy.

How much are tickets and are they on sale yet. Navigating the mainly French website even with O level French and auto translate on doesn't give much away :)

I don't think they do advance tickets, happy to be corrected if anybody has better info
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

tankbuster wrote:
Nwalch wrote:Looks very interesting and I am tempted even with having to miss Fly Navy.

I don't think they do advance tickets, happy to be corrected if anybody has better info

No advance tickets are sold from AJBS website.
But you can buy tickets on FNAC website : http://www.fnacspectacles.com/place-spectacle/manifestation/Exposition-MEETING-AERIEN-CERNY-LA-FERTE-ALAIS-ALAI7.htm#/disponibilite/36ec0b8bc0a8280c5a790e2c7a37c12a/normale.
Looks like these tickets are a valid for any day (1 ticket per day however).
Advance tickets include access to the "static park" until 12:00 (5 EUR if bought on place).
But these are not e-ticket, and they charge you 8 EUR for having them sent to you !!!

I don't know if having an advance ticket saves you much time at the gate, as you will have to queue in the usual traffic jam anyway.
I you come by train / foot, there is usually no much queue for buying tickets.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The sun is behind the crowd for most of the day, ending up crowd left and down the runway (if that makes sense) by about 5pm. It's a great venue for photography.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Once you get on site through the main jam, the traffic spreads out and there's a separate queue for those who have pre-bought. Saved us a bit of time in 2015.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Thanks for all the information. It's certainly selling it to me. I read on the Warbirds News report there was a practise day on the Friday. Is this open to the public/ticketed?