Bucharest 2018

Bucharest 2018

Postby zigzag on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:57 am

The date for Bucharest has ben set as 28 July (although in past experience this can change) see http://www.bias.aero/

With it being a little gap from Fairford this is now in my sights, has anyone who has been before got any hints/tips (eg are arrivals/rehersals on Friday, and are these accesible on or off base etc). Thanks in advance for any pointers.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT
zigzag

Re: Bucharest 2018

Postby Mictheslik on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:12 pm

Bring sun cream....and a hat...and lots of water, because it gets absolutely roasting!

Not open to the public for arrivals and departures but they did have some spotters/media in last year.

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?
Mictheslik

Postby shaggy101 on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 12:43 am

Mictheslik wrote:Bring sun cream....and a hat...and lots of water, because it gets absolutely roasting!

Not open to the public for arrivals and departures but they did have some spotters/media in last year.

.mic

Like me, you can stay on the road & catch some arrivals but they are quite sporadic on the Friday before. There is also no cover from the sun there & it can get seriously hot there. There are some rehearsals as well on the Friday, including the MiG 21's as well
Dan,
shaggy101

Postby zigzag on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 8:05 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I will grease up and drink lots (maybe some water too).

One/two further question, on the showday itself where is best to position for photography (crowd left/right/centre - any good spots you would recommend?), if there is such a prime spot do you need to stake it out and lay to claim to your space early.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT
zigzag

Postby shaggy101 on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 12:04 pm

zigzag wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, I will grease up and drink lots (maybe some water too).

One/two further question, on the showday itself where is best to position for photography (crowd left/right/centre - any good spots you would recommend?), if there is such a prime spot do you need to stake it out and lay to claim to your space early.

It gets pretty busy by all accounts, same as any air show really. Get there early & leave late. You'd want to stay for the evening as well, there are a lot of fast jts flying around during the twilight show, finishing off with the C-27 thrwoing flares all over the airfield. I was slightly to the left of crowd centre in the media bit but IIRC its mostly North facing so it doesn't really matter too much until the sun swings round to the western end a couple of hours before sunset
Dan,
shaggy101

Postby st24 on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:14 pm

Probably last chance for LanceRs so yeah I'm game!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Mictheslik on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:11 pm

Position wise, I wouldn't be too bothered if not on the crowd line. It can get very busy, and everyone is standing (very few camping chairs in Romania!) which means it can get a bit dense and difficult to swing a big camera around. They also put flags along half of the display line which are great at ruining your shots of the flying display :lol:

I now prefer being back about 10-15m. The crowd quickly thins out giving lots of space, and it's easy enough to retreat into the shade of the beer tents!

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?
Mictheslik

Return to European Events