Southport Airshow 2010

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Pen Pusher

Re: Southport Airshow 2010

Post by Pen Pusher »

From their web site:
Southport Air Show – CANCELLATION – Sunday 19th September 2010.
Today’s Southport Air Show has had to be cancelled due to severe overnight weather which has caused flooding at the site. This together with the weather forecast for the rest of the day has left the organisers with no option other than cancellation.
We can only apologise to our customers for any inconvenience this causes.
Advance ticket holders will be able to obtain refunds by returning unused advance tickets to Sefton Arts, Waterloo Town Hall, Great Georges Road, Waterloo, L22 1RB

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

fg1

Post by fg1 »

A real shame. Despite all the financial troubles in the airshow world Southport has consistently made an effort to maintain its high standards. A suggestion for next year though might be to reduce the display time as looking at the programme there were gaps eg. 2-3pm Red Arrows. Duxford has a shorter display and doesn't suffer from it. In fact finishing around 4pm would ease the congestion problem around Southport. Anyway, I just want to thank all those for putting on a good show despite the weather and thank God that there are pilots willing to fly in that sort of murk! I think a lasting memory will be the superb Hurricane display which even stopped the rain for a short while!
Last edited by fg1 on Sun 19 Sep 2010, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossy1711

Post by crossy1711 »

poor Southport,had considered going this year,my heart goes out to anyone who was attending this show today,as above this show always maintains its high standards and was one of my first larger shows,many thanks anyway to the organisers and pilots crew etc im sure it would have been a great show as always,hopefully next year will bring better weather due to the show being rescheduled to july (if the organisers have trouble getting good items next year just emphasise the SOUTH in southport and im sure you will get anything you need...............any northern air show fan knows what i mean........................) :biggrin:

misty

Post by misty »

Just back from southport,
well what to say, it was a poor event if you ask me (others may think differnt)
comentry was afull the tutor was almost half way through his display before he noticed it, how many times did he need telling the t1 hawk dosnt have onboard computers and was all map, compass and stop watch
i know the weather was crap and things go tits up but it could have been better and has been in the past there, they make enough money,
too much hanging around between the slots
at least the reds done us proud again and the blades and the spit managed a slot so i should be gratfull i got to see it as today was cancelled coz of rain and boy did it rain and wind i know i was in a camper van last night
andy

Degsy

Post by Degsy »

Sorry for the folks that have missed out at this show today but I gave this one up a few years ago as its just for the town to make cash at the end of the season.
This was one of the best shows around due to the beach that gives you a view second to none. The reds ect could display at very low levels and the 250 ft rule was not always kept too. Its not the first time that one day of this show has been shut down and each year the gaps in the display just get bigger and bigger also how many times did we get told that something had just gone tec. Gaps of and hour in a show of this size each year is just not on. Last time we went we had a been wet on for about 15 min and then the whole beach was under 3in of water for about an hour.
No typhoon and no reds this year so that`s the stars out now then what will the punters have to see after few dogs running about open the show? Not a lot! The rain has come again so lets get the punters into the town and spend spend spend as that is what this show is now down too. Southport you had something great and can do it again just get it sorted for the summer and you never know all the older stuff that has a limited flying hours may turn up and not go tec . We the overcharged punter may not get wet feet but if we do then its up to the rain gods and not you as you have done what you can to try to put on something that the people have come for. Last week I had to drive to Scotland to get my last show fix this year and even with 4 hour traffic jam it was worth it I just wish my local show could sort its self out .
Sorry folks rant over :sad:

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi Everyone
I travelled from Newcastle Upon tyne to Kemble for their air show on saturday, followed by a drive in heavy rain up to Southport, staying at a guest house, waking up to find the show had been cancelled, which I understood because of the rain all night.

Just a thought, why not move it to Woodvale just down the road, I am sure people would stay in Southport and still spend money.

Also does anyone know where I can obtain a programme, when I asked this morning, everyone was packing up to leave

Paul :confused: :roll: :sad:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Well everybody I actually enjoyed the show, there was some excellent flying given the weather,and unlike last year we had several classic
jets hunter, gnats, etc and they were flown well especially the hunter, and the weather improved briefly excellent displays by the spitfire and hurricane pilots. one dissapointment i had was that it was the dakota was once again sent by the bbmf instead of the Lancaster it hasnt been to southport for 5 years now, not sure about the commentary although I think its better at duxford, also dissapointed that the Vulcan didnt go and the eurofighter although that couldnt be helped. Personally I think that funds should always be found from somewhere to allow the vulcan to appear given the northwest is her birthplace shes not appeared in the north of england at all this year I dont think, but yes I thought the pilots did well
in producing a great show one of the best to date despite the efforts of the weather to spoil proceedings, yes the gaps between aircraft is still a problem though.

Regards
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Sun 19 Sep 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

misty

Post by misty »

Degsy wrote:Sorry for the folks that have missed out at this show today but I gave this one up a few years ago as its just for the town to make cash at the end of the season.
This was one of the best shows around due to the beach that gives you a view second to none. The reds ect could display at very low levels and the 250 ft rule was not always kept too. Its not the first time that one day of this show has been shut down and each year the gaps in the display just get bigger and bigger also how many times did we get told that something had just gone tec. Gaps of and hour in a show of this size each year is just not on. Last time we went we had a been wet on for about 15 min and then the whole beach was under 3in of water for about an hour.
No typhoon and no reds this year so that`s the stars out now then what will the punters have to see after few dogs running about open the show? Not a lot! The rain has come again so lets get the punters into the town and spend spend spend as that is what this show is now down too. Southport you had something great and can do it again just get it sorted for the summer and you never know all the older stuff that has a limited flying hours may turn up and not go tec . We the overcharged punter may not get wet feet but if we do then its up to the rain gods and not you as you have done what you can to try to put on something that the people have come for. Last week I had to drive to Scotland to get my last show fix this year and even with 4 hour traffic jam it was worth it I just wish my local show could sort its self out .

degsy the reds were there, quick edit your post before you get slated :oops:
but no typhoon so we only had the two tornados and the bombing wasnt as good as in the past
funny you should mention the "lets get the punters in town" god knows how many times he said that
and how much for a cup of tea/coffee

fg1

Post by fg1 »

Degsy wrote:Sorry for the folks that have missed out at this show today but I gave this one up a few years ago as its just for the town to make cash at the end of the season.

Let's face it the council aren't going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Also, there aren't many shows today which have as much participation as they did ten or even five years ago. Thank God that at least someone in the northwest has still got the nerve to put on a display.

misty

Post by misty »

Let's face it the council aren't going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Also, there aren't many shows today which have as much participation as they did ten or even five years ago. Thank God that at least someone in the northwest has still got the nerve to put on a display.[/quote]

Does Rhyl come under the north west? and its a free show

fg1

Post by fg1 »

Yes and Blackpool too but I'm talking a big full on display. Come on Woodford 2011... well I can wish!

misty

Post by misty »

fg1 wrote:Yes and Blackpool too but I'm talking a big full on display. Come on Woodford 2011... well I can wish!

That was a BIG FULL ON DISPLAY was it???
oh well must have missed some of it in the rain
but well done to those that did fly and forgot to mention the hurricane was probably the best bit for me, seems as we never got the typhoon
thats it, maybe next year but i doubt it

Degsy

Post by Degsy »

Misty Reds not booked for Sunday only Saturday.
So yes any show is better than no show but I take it that you folks don`t mind that you are getting a bad deal? My point is that a good show is not out of the question and that this one was once very good. The timing of it is what makes it crap and I don`t say that it should be run a a loss as 500000 a day @£20 a go is what is expected at Southport. Then we have the spending in the town so why not give the punters half a chance of a good day by trying to run a show at a better time of the year? The rain has done this show in now for a second time and running something like this on the coast this late in the year is a bit mad. As noted above once again the BBMF sent in a sub.Every show has its no shows but Southport takes it on one step to far. Trying to get old birds and the hard pressed RAF out for two days running at this time of the year is a no no? Make it a one day show in the summer and more than one act every half hour. With one display every half hour you have a problem when something drops out not a problem if its free. Blackpool ,Rhyl and Hoylake all put on free show`s but if you are wanting to charge then you should put up the goods? Southport has found out that it still gets the cash into the town so is it not a problem for them if the show is cut short. This year the star act went tec last Tuesday the Reds and the 558 not booked to start with. The weather did what it was expected to do so the Sunday show should have been taken off last Wednesday or not even put on in the first place that is unless your master plan is wanting the punters to spend the time in the town. If the flower show was run like this the town would close.

fg1

Post by fg1 »

misty wrote:
fg1 wrote:Yes and Blackpool too but I'm talking a big full on display. Come on Woodford 2011... well I can wish!

That was a BIG FULL ON DISPLAY was it???
oh well must have missed some of it in the rain
but well done to those that did fly and forgot to mention the hurricane was probably the best bit for me, seems as we never got the typhoon
thats it, maybe next year but i doubt it

It's about as full on as we're likely to get in the north west.

Iwishiwasapilot

Post by Iwishiwasapilot »

clearstone wrote:
chrisward123 wrote:Apparently next years show is on the 23 + 24 July!! :smile:

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2011/calendar/july.html

More here

Re. having the show too late in the season..... :whistle:

misty

Post by misty »

Iwishiwasapilot wrote:
clearstone wrote:
chrisward123 wrote:Apparently next years show is on the 23 + 24 July!! :smile:

More here

Re. having the show too late in the season..... :whistle:

right after riat!!!
well cant please us all
misty

crossy1711

Post by crossy1711 »

and the same weekend as windemere,could be some sharing going on next year,maybe though Southport might get something other than the "usual suspects",with it following riat,providing,that is,that the land of milk and honey(anywhere past south of Birmingham)doesn't require its presence,looking at the air show scene this year it would appear that the great north-south divide dominates air shows,take the typhoon for example,its built in warton and then never displayed within 100 mile (ok Southport being the exception)radius

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

crossy1711 wrote:and the same weekend as windemere,could be some sharing going on next year,maybe though Southport might get something other than the "usual suspects",with it following riat,providing,that is,that the land of milk and honey(anywhere past south of Birmingham)doesn't require its presence,looking at the air show scene this year it would appear that the great north-south divide dominates air shows,take the typhoon for example,its built in warton and then never displayed within 100 mile (ok Southport being the exception)radius

Will be a busy weekend with no doubt Sunderland / East Fortune / Windermere and now Southport all on the same weekend. With the RAF only allowing 2 displays per aircraft each day it looks like someones going to miss out.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The Sunderland Airshow is taking place the following weekend next year apparently :-

just scroll down when you open this link for the info :-

Best Regards

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

That's good, glad to see everything is not on the same weekend, we don't have many events up here be a shame if they were all on the same weekend.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Lets hope we can share next year with Windermere.
Hope we see the Hunter again next year. fanastic display from Miss Demeanour!
Lakes Lightning Collection

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Hi there,

Just to let people know there is an airshow report, for this years Southport Airshow in "aircraft magazine" i.e. ex "Aircraft Illustrated" got a good
write up actually,

Best Regards