Southport Airshow 2011

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
klunk

Re: Southport Airshow 2011

Post by klunk »

Hi,

This is my first air show i see it opens at 9am is it worth getting there for that time or is there a lot of waiting around as earliest event i can see is 3pm

thanks ;)

banksy

Post by banksy »

klunk wrote:Hi,

This is my first air show i see it opens at 9am is it worth getting there for that time or is there a lot of waiting around as earliest event i can see is 3pm

thanks ;)

Klunk - I think the flying is starting from around 12.30-1pm so plenty will be going on I'm sure before 3pm. The big hitters simply arrive after 3pm that's all!
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

crossy1711

Post by crossy1711 »

klunk wrote:Hi,

thanks ;)

you really need to be getting into southport by about 10.45 the main routes into the airshow always gets blocked up with traffic i think 1st act is on about 12.40 on sat and about 12.50 on Sunday,i know it seems a while to wait but there is usually plenty on the ground to look at,this being your first air show the golden rule is always turn up early,it gets very busy whichever show you attend,hope you have a fantastic day :biggrin: :biggrin:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Spitfire OTT about 20 minutes ago!

st24

Post by st24 »

Kieran wrote:Spitfire OTT about 20 minutes ago!

:grin: He came over here first !!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

cycler

Post by cycler »

Any timings for Sunday would be appreciated :smile:

cycler

Post by cycler »

Aviationcafe wrote:
cycler wrote:Any timings for Sunday would be appreciated :smile:

There's some times for the display on sunday are further down the page on here Have a feeling the 412 may be displaying on the sunday though!

Thank you :clap: :clap:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

what spitfire was that that flew over is it replacing the kittyhawk is it from the hangar 11 collection also has the swordfish made it to woodvale ?

regards

michael_saul

Post by michael_saul »

according to somebody on North West Air News Miss demeanor has landed at Liverpool Airport in preperation for tomorrrows show, so looks like she is displaying after all :yahoo:
cheers mike

Inthrustwetrust

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

Liverpool weather looking a bit grotty at the moment.
morning of blue skies , not overcast and getting darker.

Hope it doesnt stop the flying. 20-25 knot gusting wind too in North Liverpool. :-(

Am off to Windermere for 558, so i hope it's before southport show, and that it doesnt rain there.
cheers
Dave
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

DJSmurf2008

Post by DJSmurf2008 »

Wow, what an awesome day! The weather held up after a few bursts of cold winds but the skies stayed clear throughout and the sun was beaming!

Think its been the best Southport has had to offer for a long time even though the old favourites were not there (Harrier, Jaguar, Sea Vixen etc etc)... Got a good few vids so gonna do a compilation of them and edit it, merge it all together and uploaded it within the next week for those who wish to view it :)

Hope you enjoyed your day too :biggrin:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

what a great day at southport great as always to see the Lancaster, Vulcan was awesome what noise solo spit display and mustang
were excellent aswell great weather too cant wait till 2moro does anyone know why the Hurricane of the BBMF didnt go ?

Trevster
UKAR Supporter

Post by Trevster »

Well I've now got a face like a Ribena berry after today's show (according to the gf!).

Excellent weather save the wind and a good variety of aircraft.
Canon Rebel T1
Canon EFS 18-55mm lens
Canon 75-300mm lens

wellsie82@gmail.com

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

very impressed with the show today, so much better than the last show i went to a few years back. having two tornado's with a full afterburner made up for the typhoon that spoiled us the last time i went

always great to see the vulcan, hunter & reds too

have thrown a few (mostly unedited) pics from today using my new camera, any thoughts/advice welcome :clap: https://plus.google.com/photos/106860208818278451998/albums/5632652603927630833

has anyone been to john lennon airport today to see the hawk & tornado's going up/coming down? considering venturing down there tomorrow afternoon & wondered whether it would be worth it & whether there's a good vantage point

andrew653

Post by andrew653 »

wellsie82@gmail.com wrote:
has anyone been to john lennon airport today to see the hawk & tornado's going up/coming down? considering venturing down there tomorrow afternoon & wondered whether it would be worth it & whether there's a good vantage point

The best place at ljla i would say is on dungeon lane near the GA side of the airfield, there's a mound on the side of the road which is a good place to watch any movements with an area for parking a bit further down, it's quite close to the runway so aircraft are low and close if there landing on 27 so it can be pretty good for photography.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

memorable weekend at the show probably the best show to date excellent weather for a change
nice to see the hurricane made it today and the swordfish and blackcats formation was great to see to

banksy

Post by banksy »

eddywinch82 wrote:memorable weekend at the show probably the best show to date excellent weather for a change
nice to see the hurricane made it today and the swordfish and blackcats formation was great to see to

Really enjoyed the Black Cats, and I'm not normally big on the helicopters, so well done to them.

Obviously the Vulcan, Tornado's and the Hunter were the highlights for me - but overall an excellent value for money show (you can't really argue with £7 to watch that), traffic was a bit heavy both in & out, but all to be expected for what is widely regarded as the biggest show in the North West.

Trevster
UKAR Supporter

Post by Trevster »

Hadn't paid to get in before but took the plunge on the day (for a little bit more) and would have to say even at £9 I was happy with what I got for it.
Canon Rebel T1
Canon EFS 18-55mm lens
Canon 75-300mm lens

wellsie82@gmail.com

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

andrew653 wrote:
wellsie82@gmail.com wrote:

The best place at ljla i would say is on dungeon lane near the GA side of the airfield, there's a mound on the side of the road which is a good place to watch any movements with an area for parking a bit further down, it's quite close to the runway so aircraft are low and close if there landing on 27 so it can be pretty good for photography.

cheers andrew - we headed down there yesterday afternoon & wasn't disappointed. we ended up smack behind the tornado's when they went off (about 100 meters behind the full afterburner) and boy was it good

was nice seeing them come back too & landing just over your head

thanks agian :win:

klunk

Post by klunk »

Just to update we went to the show on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it ;) and will not doubt be going to more airshows the missus really enjoyed it too

May have a ride up to Blackpool in couple weeks :biggrin:

jindabyne

Post by jindabyne »

Does anyone know the origins of the airshow. I understand that an ex-Red Arrows chap has been involved in the organisation over recent years, but don't know if it was he who began things? Nothing sinister in this, just of personal interest.

banksy

Post by banksy »

klunk wrote:Just to update we went to the show on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it ;) and will not doubt be going to more airshows the missus really enjoyed it too

May have a ride up to Blackpool in couple weeks :biggrin:

Sadly the Blackpool show won't be a patch on Southport's achievements this year.

Unless of course they have some last minute surprises, but the current line up doesn't fill me with excitement, yet previous ones have been really good.

gooner

Post by gooner »

So how can they charge you to go onto a public beach? Or it it just an enclosed area you have to pay for. We were thinking of doing that at lowestoft but there was no way we could seal the beach off as no one would want to pay to come onto the beach that they pay to have with their council tax. Thats why we have to have voluntry donations and about 25% of people donate if they all donated we would deffo have one of the biggest seaside shows although this year it is one of the biggest.

DJSmurf2008

Post by DJSmurf2008 »

gooner wrote:So how can they charge you to go onto a public beach? Or it it just an enclosed area you have to pay for. We were thinking of doing that at lowestoft but there was no way we could seal the beach off as no one would want to pay to come onto the beach that they pay to have with their council tax. Thats why we have to have voluntry donations and about 25% of people donate if they all donated we would deffo have one of the biggest seaside shows although this year it is one of the biggest.

Im more than likely wrong with this assumption but i think they charge you for the beach (£9 per person and £5 per car) to make up whatever money is paid by the organisers to the RAF and other companies for the use of thier planes and what-not....

gooner

Post by gooner »

Thanks i was told they seal the whole seafront off for 3 miles. i have nothing against them charging as its worth the money but i cant see by law how they can get away with that as its illegal but i guess they must be able to do it. will have to look into it for lowestoft.