Southport Airshow 2011

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
silver fox

Re: Southport Airshow 2011

Post by silver fox »

gooner wrote:Thanks i was told they seal the whole seafront off for 3 miles. i have nothing against them charging as its worth the money but i cant see by law how they can get away with that as its illegal but i guess they must be able to do it. will have to look into it for lowestoft.

Unlike many beaches, Southport beach is owned by the council it is not Crown or anyone else's property, originally purchased by the then Southport Borough Council.

The coastal road is closed to all but show traffic for about 1.5 to 2 miles max and any council can close or authorise the closure of a road for event purposes, think street parties, parades etc.

Unlike Blackpool and possibly other sea front shows at Southport the pier is closed for most of it's length this allows the display line to be set much closer to the beach and front were most spectators are, I do know that Blackpool for instance the flying display is set to seaward of the piers, this puts aircraft a fair way out from the front.

Generally speaking with the obvious disadvantage of no runway and very few static aircraft Southport is not bad value, a limited number can operate from the beach but most fly in, display then leave.