Bournemouth Airshow comments..

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
keetyuk

Bournemouth Airshow comments..

Post by keetyuk »

As the other one is locked...

Not bad, bit too many little prop planes for my liking, may be a couple of Apache's next year.

One thing i'd like improved in the actual displays is to explain to the pilots (Of the faster planes) that repetedly showing us the underside of your plane is actually quite dull. The Tornado, Sea Vixen, Spitfire and too a lesser extent Hunter did pass after pass along the flight line, but instead of flying nice and low and slowly they saw fit to blast along with the underside of the plane facing the crowd/cliffs and the top of the plan facing out to sea. Please, stop it, it's dull, we'd much rather you either did it the other way or flew level.

oh, top marks on the dusk displays, woudl like to see a longer dusk display with a few more craft next year. Two Thumbs fresh from me on that one.

googlehead

Re: Bournemouth Airshow comments..

Post by googlehead »

I have to agree. It was just a bit too quiet for my liking with too many small props. Nothing that really made you stand up and watch, i think it needed a few more jets to wake people up and take their attention off making sandcastles.

In general though it was a great weekend and a nice location to watch an airshow from, Bournemouth have done really well with this event not just the flying activities but the marine landing, boat trips onto HMS Tyne, bands etc all added to the experience. :clap:

steve185cs

Post by steve185cs »

I would say the little prop planes, Rv8tors, Blades, Tucano, although small, actually put on great displays of flying. Some of the tricks those guys pull is eye popping. But, they dont get the attention of a lot of the crowd, who are as mentioned probably making sandcastles, sunbathing, paddling etc. Luckily I was on the cliff top so could not do any of those things. I thought the Breitling Wingwalkers put on yet another great display, the Merlin is lovely to watch, very smooth flying. The due by Meteor and Sea Vixen were great to see in formation, I love Miss Demeanor's colour scheme. The Reds, well, their display awesome as usual. The display missed the Vulcan, in past years you have the Vulcan & Typhoon and they add real punch. Not sure if the Tornado flew on Saturday as I was not around but caught its display as I was 1 mile down the beach on Sunday with my 5 year old daughter, Tornado flew over us twice and she loved it although I covered her ears on one fast flypast. All in all, for a "Free by the Sea" event, and all that goes with it on the ground, it is a first class spectacle and long may it continue. :worship:

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

A little difficult to comment on the display itself, as for the second year running i went on the day that was cancelled! However i spent the friday at the airport(turned out to be the wrong decision) and from there i could see a few of the displays, and was even impressed by the Sea Vixen from that distance! However i can again only add to the point that there were too many prop displays, and i dont think putting the TR9 on straight after the BBMF was a good idea! Of course it suffered from the lack of the Tiffie this year, as a few shows have, and the problems with funding to name a few. But i do think it was a top effort again for the organisers, and if they can put it on again next year and there is an improvement to the wx then ill be going again for sure. Bournemouth has established itself as the biggest UK seaside airshow, however this year they were let down with the cancellation of the Cloggies, and the only thing stopping me doing Eastbourne instead was the Vulcan. Ooops. However they did a good job in getting the Sea Vixen along, just a shame that the rumours of G-NATY werent to be so. Suggestions for next year, Team Viper, Coast Guard AW139, maybe an evening static display at the Airport including the flying participants, and some on the museum exibits, and of course XX897 :love:

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

least we forget if it was not for circumstances beyond their control we would have also enjoyed the Dutch F 16 ,The Vulcan and probably as in previous years typhoon ... so yes a little prop heavy but how many air shows have two spectator lines between 80 and 90 feet diffrence in height on the display axis....... so the report card would say "very good" but could have been so much more :clap:

Markie

Post by Markie »

Thought the flying overall was superb, great displays, especially Gerald Cooper, The Blades and dare I say it the Tutor. Sea Vixen was fantastic in perfect conditions. Excellent location with good sea front stalls. Too many small props one after the other though for long period of time. As we all know, certain circumstances and operational commitments were beyond the control of the organisers but for a show like Bournemouth it is more noticeable when certain acts are not there eg Typhoon, F16 & Vulcan. Helo's also work well on the sea front such as Chinook and Black Cats and these have given great displays in the past. Why put all the jets on at the end of the day too?

Believe there is a survey we can fill in somwhere for the organisers.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

This was my second Bournemouth Air Festival and with the exception of the fatal inciident with Red Four on Saturday then I'm sure the organisers can be rather pleased with their efforts. When the sun shines Bournemouth is a lovely place, and a great setting for an airshow. As was the case this weekend, with Thursday excluded.

Most of the comments touch upon too many props, unfortunately I just think the organisers were very unlucky this year and although it was beyond their control they did a fantastic job with the resources they had.

Take Saturday for example, the Vulcan was due to close the show and I think the orgnisers did a stirling job in replacing XH558 with the Sex Vixen. The Tornado Role Demo cancelled due to problems along with Miss Demeanour.

Sunday the organisers obviously rejigged the display times and due to the previous days occurance they're hands were tied. They put all the noise at the end of the show to keep as many people there as possible. I thought a massive gap was left without the Reds which were due to close the display.

I was never aware that the Dutch F16 had cancelled and if true then that just shows the problems that there are in this world. But to be honest I was more than happy with the weekends display, and I'll definately be returning next year to show my support.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Given the huge costs involved in organising and staging an air display, without in any way disparaging the achievement, I cannot understand the rationale behind spreading the Bournemouth Air Festival over four days - especially for a free show.

I assume there are commercial reasons for holding the event in the first place, i.e. bringing more visitors to the town, but would a two-day show not realise the same aims, while reducing costs and (from the savings made) enable a greater variety of 'acts' to be concentrated into the two days; thus providing a more entertaining spectacle and a bigger draw?

Just my opinion, FWIW.