Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Brummiekid

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Post by Brummiekid »

We will be arriving in Eastbourne by train and will watch the airshow but we're not bothered about photographs etc.
Where is the best place to plonk our backsides in the town itself?
Any advice would be gratefully received!
:biggrin:
Regan - "We're the Sweeney son and we haven't had any dinner"
http://www.totterdowncamping.co.uk

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Walk up to the front from the station,any where between the pier and the lifeboat station offers good viewing.Gets a bit crowded along that area.the pier offers good viewing and there is a good bar and fish and chip shop on the pier.They do limit numbers onto the pier for safety reasons but I think that only happened when a charge was made along the seafront.The pier usually has a piped airshow commantary but not at the very end were the best views are.I am looking at the area to the right of the lifeboat station my self as there is a raised walk way in front of where a demolished cafe which will give a good view of the display line.

John in Seaford.

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

The centre of the display is the Western Lawns, about a quarter mile west of the pier. There are ground displays there if you have kids in tow. You can watch from the beach or the prom above which has two levels. The further you walk west, the more the road rises, so in one respect you are closer to the displays height wise but more off centre the further you go.
As John said, the pier will push you out even closer for a different option.

As an aside, I was on the Western lawns photographing my nephews wedding last Saturday, when Sea King ZH 545 arrived offshore to do a SAR demo with the local lifeboat, maybe to practice for the show. Naturally I ignored the happy couple and snapped away at 22 squadrons finest, until someone shouted that I was supposed to be photographing the wedding not a b****y airshow!! By the time the SAR display had finished, all the guests had returned to the nearby hotel and sat down for the reception meal. I had two phone calls from the wife demanding my immediate return. The silence as I walked across to my table was deafening....
Malcolm.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

MC hammer wrote:. The silence as I walked across to my table was deafening....
Malcolm.

To which you replied Britain's finest licence-built helicopter :grin:

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

MC hammer wrote:The centre of the display is the Western Lawns, about a quarter mile west of the pier. There are ground displays there if you have kids in tow. You can watch from the beach or the prom above which has two levels. The further you walk west, the more the road rises, so in one respect you are closer to the displays height wise but more off centre the further you go.
As John said, the pier will push you out even closer for a different option.

As an aside, I was on the Western lawns photographing my nephews wedding last Saturday, when Sea King ZH 545 arrived offshore to do a SAR demo with the local lifeboat, maybe to practice for the show. Naturally I ignored the happy couple and snapped away at 22 squadrons finest, until someone shouted that I was supposed to be photographing the wedding not a b****y airshow!! By the time the SAR display had finished, all the guests had returned to the nearby hotel and sat down for the reception meal. I had two phone calls from the wife demanding my immediate return. The silence as I walked across to my table was deafening....
Malcolm.

Good for you, I love it when other people remind me that self indulgance and b****r everyone else is a great philosophy
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Anybody have a display time for the Vulcan on Saturday or any ideas where it and the Tornadoes will be operating from.Bournemouth I would think is possible as no mention yet on Manston movements page and would think Biggin is too busy with Olympic stuff.

John in Seaford

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

lambo17841 wrote:Anybody have a display time for the Vulcan on Saturday or any ideas where it and the Tornadoes will be operating from.Bournemouth I would think is possible as no mention yet on Manston movements page and would think Biggin is too busy with Olympic stuff.

John in Seaford

The Hawker Hunter Miss Demeanour will be flying out of Manston I think so would the GR4s , the JP is out of shoreham same with the Gnats I think as well.

James

Shoreham Airshow

Post by Shoreham Airshow »

Gnats are unable to operate from Shoreham due to runway length.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

The Gnat pair will be operating from North Weald :smile:

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Local paper says time 17-13 for Vulcan Saturday.
Only a few others released so far, as they prefer you to buy a programme.
Thurs -
12-30 R. Navy parachute display team
14-41 Wingwalkers
15-47 Tigers parachute team

Friday
13-17 T.6 texan
15-49 B-17
16-23 Blades

Saturday
13-15 Sea King
16-29 Wingwalkers
17-13 Vulcan

Sunday
14-07 SWIP team
15-08 Gnats
19-00 Tiger parachutes.

More when known but next local paper is not until Saturday. Previously even if you bought a programme, you had to exchange vouchers from it for a display time listing at kiosks on the day, so may noy find out much more untill Saturday.
Malcolm

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Surprised if the gnats not fly out Manston they fly out of Lydd instead :question: Guess they can fly all the way from North Weald display then fly back again.

James

Danny

Post by Danny »

From the Airbourne Facebook page.

Sadly the B-17 Flying Fortress, Sally B, has been cancelled due to Olympic air space restrictions but everything else is still flying and we’re looking forward to another fantastic airshow to celebrate Airbourne’s 20th Anniversary!

http://www.facebook.com/AirbourneEastbourne
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Shame as i was looking forward to sally B outside of duxford but I see they offered another airport for Sally B but they said no which is quite annoying.

James

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Correction to my last message. Next local paper is out on Friday, not Saturday, but expect they will only reveal a little more info.
Weather appears to be more settled and warmer as the week goes on.
Malcolm

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

I don't understand why Sally B can't be there ,they can file a flight plan like the other aircraft they operate from the restricted zone .

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Flyforfun wrote:I don't understand why Sally B can't be there ,they can file a flight plan like the other aircraft they operate from the restricted zone .

There always Lydd they can fly from if they don't want Manston can they fly out of shoreham? Too think how much support they would have got if they attended Eastbourne as I am sure not everyone goes to duxford airshows from the town.

Edit: just seen on the Airbourne Facebook page they saying one of the Gnats has gone tec and that there will be a vampire in its place :question:

James

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Not certain if Shoreham or Lydd have long enough runways but what's wrong with Bournemouth,after all thats where they fly from for the Shoreham show.As has been said all they have to do is file a flight plan if that is the problem with Manston.

John

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

lambo17841 wrote:Not certain if Shoreham or Lydd have long enough runways but what's wrong with Bournemouth,after all thats where they fly from for the Shoreham show.As has been said all they have to do is file a flight plan if that is the problem with Manston.

John

They flew out of Lydd for the Lydd airshow few years ago ;-) Manston fine as it not in the zone the hunter , GR4s will be flying out of Manston.

Anyway on the airshow Facebook page someone said a DC 3 has replaced the B17 a T6 Texan now added guess it's the shoreham one.

James

timuss

Post by timuss »

Now all we need is a nice Vulcan topside over Beachy Head :cool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

We should all get together and hire a boat to watch from :smile:

Shoreham Airshow

lambo17841 wrote:Not certain if Shoreham or Lydd have long enough runways but what's wrong with Bournemouth,after all thats where they fly from for the Shoreham show.As has been said all they have to do is file a flight plan if that is the problem with Manston.

John

When Sally-B has attended Shoreham in the past, she has mostly operated direct from Duxford, or been on transit between Duxford and Bournemouth when the Air Festival has been on. The runway at Shoreham is not long enough to allow B-17 operations.

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

timuss wrote:Now all we need is a nice Vulcan topside over Beachy Head :cool:

Naah, low level around Beachy head! :rock: :rock: :rock:

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

List on Shoreham airport page gives details of what is there during the show.

John

Shoreham Airshow

The Tucano pair will not be at Shoreham Airport due to fire cover issues. The display Tucano will be performing a flypast at the airport on Friday Morning.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

JBartlett wrote:Edit: just seen on the Airbourne Facebook page they saying one of the Gnats has gone tec and that there will be a vampire in its place :question:

Eastbourne Facebook update says that the Gnats are still down to display!