Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby timuss on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby lambo17841 on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

Great news,pray for good weather,looks like the Saturday crowd will be well packed.Just the addition needed as the Reds were not there and the lack of a star item apart for the Tornadoes.Let's hope its not too late to get a F16 or maybe something from the USAF or even a French addition.

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby timuss on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

Now a gamble on wether to got to Beachy Head or not :whistle:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby JBartlett on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:51 pm

Only just notice that Sally B going to be there as well nice to see it some where other then Duxford also the ARCo Mk I Spitfire. :yahoo:


James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham
JBartlett

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby Muppet on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

VTTS saying Vulcan due to fly on August 11th only.
Muppet

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby dale b on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:23 pm

Thats correct, as does the Eastbourne site to. cant wait to see her swing round beachy head! :clap:
dale b

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby TNTom on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:45 pm

hi guys, thought i'd ask here as a few of you seem to have been before. I'm looking to watch the show on the thursday at beachy head. Never been before so not sure what to expect. How busy is it up there usually? Whats parking like? i presume you get a pretty good view.

Thanks in advance
TNTom

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby DanH on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 5:23 pm

TNTom wrote:hi guys, thought i'd ask here as a few of you seem to have been before. I'm looking to watch the show on the thursday at beachy head. Never been before so not sure what to expect. How busy is it up there usually? Whats parking like? i presume you get a pretty good view.

Thanks in advance


Plenty of parking available, although you do have to pay a few quid for it. The view you get isn't close to the actual displays, however aircraft regularly fly low overhead on their run-ins and occasionally during team displays. A lot of people head over to a spot near the lighthouse in order to get shots of aircraft flying past at low level.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
User avatar
DanH

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby DanH on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

TNTom wrote:hi guys, thought i'd ask here as a few of you seem to have been before. I'm looking to watch the show on the thursday at beachy head. Never been before so not sure what to expect. How busy is it up there usually? Whats parking like? i presume you get a pretty good view.

Thanks in advance


Plenty of parking available, although you do have to pay a few quid for it. The view you get isn't close to the actual displays, however aircraft regularly fly low overhead on their run-ins and occasionally during team displays. A lot of people head over to a spot near the lighthouse in order to get shots of aircraft flying past at low level.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
User avatar
DanH

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby clee2011 on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 6:38 pm

TNTom wrote:hi guys, thought i'd ask here as a few of you seem to have been before. I'm looking to watch the show on the thursday at beachy head. Never been before so not sure what to expect. How busy is it up there usually? Whats parking like? i presume you get a pretty good view.

Thanks in advance


Heres a few shots from last year to give you an idea of the sort of pictures possible. You will need a telephoto lens though to get a reasonable sized image (I use a 100-400mm). Just hoping on the Saturday the Vulcan will make a low pass, that would be fantastic! :biggrin:

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36401
User avatar
clee2011

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby timuss on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 8:13 pm

clee2011 wrote:
TNTom wrote:hi guys, thought i'd ask here as a few of you seem to have been before. I'm looking to watch the show on the thursday at beachy head. Never been before so not sure what to expect. How busy is it up there usually? Whats parking like? i presume you get a pretty good view.

Thanks in advance


Heres a few shots from last year to give you an idea of the sort of pictures possible. You will need a telephoto lens though to get a reasonable sized image (I use a 100-400mm). Just hoping on the Saturday the Vulcan will make a low pass, that would be fantastic! :biggrin:

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36401


yeah fingerss crossed :cool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby MC hammer on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:45 pm

Park as near as you can to the pub and simply walk over the road and pick your spot. Should be ok on a Thursday. Any items based at Shoreham will arrive from and depart to the west, so may come low over you or even below you round the cliffs, which we hope the Vulcan will do, though it certainly won't be Shoreham based! The view of the display is a bit distant but it's far less manic than the seafront.
When the Chinook was announced by the local paper a couple of weeks ago, it stated that it would be putting a vehicle down onto the beach, as it did in previous displays many years ago. If it happens, it offers another good photo opportunity but the spectators at the front got rather sand blasted, so I did not think they would try it again, unless the tide is well out and they have a bit more room to play with. Time will tell.
MC hammer

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby TNTom on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:47 pm

thanks chaps. I've got a 75-300mm lens. not great with a camera to be honest. is there any sort of time table up yet as to what is flying when?
TNTom

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby DanH on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:59 pm

TNTom wrote:thanks chaps. I've got a 75-300mm lens. not great with a camera to be honest. is there any sort of time table up yet as to what is flying when?


Not yet, programmes are available from Beachy Head on the day though.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
User avatar
DanH

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby TNTom on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:24 am

what time is it all ment to kick off?
TNTom

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby clee2011 on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:59 am

TNTom wrote:thanks chaps. I've got a 75-300mm lens. not great with a camera to be honest. is there any sort of time table up yet as to what is flying when?

List of participants http://www.airshows.org.uk/2012/airshows/uk-airshows-2012-airbourne-eastbourne-international-airshow-preview.html
User avatar
clee2011

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby rob68 on Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

i know this may seem a stupid question, but how close to the edge of the cliff face do you get, wondering for the look down shots and do you just park in the advertised car park ?
rob68

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby MC hammer on Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm

If you walk across the road having parked near the pub, follow the concrete path to your right until it ends with a knee high circular fence. ( about 200 yards) From there, you can pick your spot. It is not a sheer drop but the further down you go, the nearer you are to aircraft flying around Beachy Head, but you trade height for closeness. If you go down lower, you risk aircraft flying above you, so for look down shots, I prefer to stand just below the circular fence. If however an aircraft stays very low, you would have been better off going lower down to get closer but if it passes at head height from there, you may have prefered to be higher so that you can have the sea, rather than the sky as your backdrop. It's just one of those things where sods law plays a major part. I would stay high and crop a photo with a sea backdrop if need be (300mm or above should suffice), rather than go lower and get a shot with a sky backdrop, which would be simialr to a shot taken at any air show.
Either way, at that spot you get a bit of warning of anything approaching from the west and maximise your chances of getting it in half decent sunlight, as that part of the cliff faces south east, rather than south west if you are positioned above the lighthouse. The sun is in front of you at the start of flying but is to your side by late afternoon. If you have a radio, it will help in knowing what is about to happen. Last years frequency was 132.90. I have been there previously and shot next to nothing perfectly, (either too high or too far away), and then got loads of cracking shots the very next day. Last year, the Tucano, for example was too high on Friday and Saturday and then I nailed it good on the Sunday as it was just right.
Lastly, be aware that even on a nice day, it can be rather cold up there if you are exposed to the wind. I have fried up there and shivered on consecutive days, even though the weather was essentially the same.
HTH
Malcolm
MC hammer

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby rob68 on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:24 pm

thanks for the tips, sound a bit like going up the Mac Loop, I've been up there and saw nothing but the last time we had 6 F15s and a Tornado F3. The clothes tip is really usefull, apprteciated
rob68

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby TNTom on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

MC hammer wrote:If you walk across the road having parked near the pub, follow the concrete path to your right until it ends with a knee high circular fence. ( about 200 yards) From there, you can pick your spot. It is not a sheer drop but the further down you go, the nearer you are to aircraft flying around Beachy Head, but you trade height for closeness. If you go down lower, you risk aircraft flying above you, so for look down shots, I prefer to stand just below the circular fence. If however an aircraft stays very low, you would have been better off going lower down to get closer but if it passes at head height from there, you may have prefered to be higher so that you can have the sea, rather than the sky as your backdrop. It's just one of those things where sods law plays a major part. I would stay high and crop a photo with a sea backdrop if need be (300mm or above should suffice), rather than go lower and get a shot with a sky backdrop, which would be simialr to a shot taken at any air show.
Either way, at that spot you get a bit of warning of anything approaching from the west and maximise your chances of getting it in half decent sunlight, as that part of the cliff faces south east, rather than south west if you are positioned above the lighthouse. The sun is in front of you at the start of flying but is to your side by late afternoon. If you have a radio, it will help in knowing what is about to happen. Last years frequency was 132.90. I have been there previously and shot next to nothing perfectly, (either too high or too far away), and then got loads of cracking shots the very next day. Last year, the Tucano, for example was too high on Friday and Saturday and then I nailed it good on the Sunday as it was just right.
Lastly, be aware that even on a nice day, it can be rather cold up there if you are exposed to the wind. I have fried up there and shivered on consecutive days, even though the weather was essentially the same.
HTH
Malcolm


Can you see this on google maps? anychance you could link it.I'm driving down there thursday to see it for the first time what time shall i get there for?, just trying to gather the most likley best point for viewing and photos etc.
Last edited by TNTom on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNTom

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby Eireair on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:47 am

Hi Lads,

Anyone kind soul in the know of the display time of the Vulcan on the Saturday?, Its a toss up to go to Old Warden for the Evening show on Saurday 11th or Eastbourne, If the Vulcan was flying early enough I could hopefully make old warden late pm.

I just maybe pop up to Beachy head on the Thusday / Fri for a look if I can get away fro the family as I am in Hastings for the week with the wife n kids for my sins!!

Cheers

George
User avatar
Eireair

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby MC hammer on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

Hi Tom,
Sorry don't have the brains to do a link. Looking at Google maps, locate the B2103 at the west end of Eastbourne seafront. Follow that west and then north round a series of tight bends. Turn left onto Beachy Head Rd. This heads due south. As it nears the cliffs, it swings round to the right. Just before it goes right, you can see a long car park on the right hand side. That is where you park if you can. If not, they open other areas nearby but use the main car park as your point of reference for now. It is close to the pub, which you cannot miss, as it is the only bit of civilization in that area. Opposite the car park you can make out a path heading south towards the cliff edge. The path then goes sharp right and goes back to the road. At the point where it goes right, you can see a small circular area. That is where the knee high wooden fence described above is. Hop over the fence, then go down the slope as much as you want but I would advise staying pretty much where you are. If you can see the lighthouse to your right and the pier to your far left, you are at the spot. I don't know for sure but I think the recently erected Bomber Command memorial is on the path you need to find.
HTH
Malcolm
MC hammer

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby MC hammer on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

Should have said flying times have not been released yet but normally starts around 12-30 - 13.00.
MC hammer

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby TNTom on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:49 am

MC hammer wrote:Hi Tom,
Sorry don't have the brains to do a link. Looking at Google maps, locate the B2103 at the west end of Eastbourne seafront. Follow that west and then north round a series of tight bends. Turn left onto Beachy Head Rd. This heads due south. As it nears the cliffs, it swings round to the right. Just before it goes right, you can see a long car park on the right hand side. That is where you park if you can. If not, they open other areas nearby but use the main car park as your point of reference for now. It is close to the pub, which you cannot miss, as it is the only bit of civilization in that area. Opposite the car park you can make out a path heading south towards the cliff edge. The path then goes sharp right and goes back to the road. At the point where it goes right, you can see a small circular area. That is where the knee high wooden fence described above is. Hop over the fence, then go down the slope as much as you want but I would advise staying pretty much where you are. If you can see the lighthouse to your right and the pier to your far left, you are at the spot. I don't know for sure but I think the recently erected Bomber Command memorial is on the path you need to find.
HTH
Malcolm


Thank you kind sir, ill be taking your insturctions with me!
TNTom

Re: Airbourne- Eastbourne International Airshow 2012

Postby lambo17841 on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:29 pm

Go on Google Earth and put in BN20 7YA will help.

John in Seaford
lambo17841

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Shows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest